Is this the only solution to use Apple's Thunderbolt displays in combination with the new Macbook Pros that only have USB-C?
Is there no solution that also lets us charge the new Macbook with the Thunderbolt display? It looks like this is only a solution for 'data-exchange', not for charging.
I don't like the idea of having to add another charger to my workstation, or plug-and-unplug my charger every workday.
4 Answers from the Community
Currently, a way to convert the MagSafe plug of the Thunderbolt display to deliver power over USB-C to the new MacBook Pro doesn't exist. So you need a separate power supply.
- Answered by Jens T
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
There isn't anything like this out there. TB displays do not provide power except through the dedicated built-in MagSafe connector.
- Answered by Paul P from Houston
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
yes, you will need to use two usb-c port, one for the thunderbolt adapter and another for power supply
- Answered by Eduardo M from Torreon
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Yes, currently this is the only product that exists to let you use the Thunderbolt Display with the new MacBook Pro.
And no, it will not work for charging. The Thunderbolt display provides power via a MagSafe connector; this adapter does not have a MagSafe connector, and there is currently no way to get one on the new MacBook Pro.
Also, to be clear, this will only work for the new MacBook Pro, NOT for the 12" non-pro MacBook.
Source: apple support document HT207266 "About the compatibility of the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter".
- Answered by Thomas N from Aurora
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
Can I connect two MacBook pros and use one to mirror the display of the other?
- Asked by Marsha G from Hampton
- 01 23, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect two MacBook pros and use one to mirror the display of the other?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2m) - Whit…
Will this adapter allow the superdrive to work with the new 2017 Macbook Pros?
- Asked by William H from Jacksonville
- 06 28, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this adapter allow the superdrive to work with the new 2017 Macbook Pros?)
- Asked about: USB-C to USB Adapter