The Mac Pro w/Thunderbolt 2 does not natively support new USB-C monitors like the LG 38UC99-W 38". Will this adapt work seamlessly w/Sound & USB?
Currently on a MacPro, you'd have to use Display Port to connect to the latest gen USB-C monitors (such as the LG 38UC99-W 38"), thus it would work, but you wouldn't get one cable with video, sound & USB. Other than speed of data transfers (which is not really a concern for a monitor), what Thunderbolt 3 features do you lose?
2 Answers from the Community
The Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter is for Thunderbolt 3 devices, not USB-C, so it is not useable with this monitor.
You're not losing any Thunderbolt 3 features because the monitor is not Thunderbolt 3.
If you don't have a computer with a USB-C port, then you can still get all the features of the 38UC99-W monitor (except Power Delivery) using two cables: DisplayPort for Video and Audio and USB-C for USB data. I believe the monitor is limited to USB 3.0 SuperSpeed rates (5 Gbps) in any case (though it seems to me that using the DisplayPort connector would allow more bandwidth for USB if there was a resolution/refresh rate that required more than two lanes of DisplayPort signal).
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
This adapter will probably not work with that monitor as it is not a Thunderbolt 3 device, only USB-C. While they use the same port, TB3 and USB-C are NOT the same thing.
- Answered by Thomas N from Aurora
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
With the release of the new Macbook Pro with 2-4 USB-C ports. Can you use two of these adapters for dual monitors?
- Asked by Steven J from Lenexa
- 02 28, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (With the release of the new Macbook Pro with 2-4 USB-C ports. Can you use two of these adapters for dual monitors?)
- Asked about: USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter
Will this adapter allow me successfully display a late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro (HDMI output) on a LG UltraFine 4K monitor (USB-C input)?
- Asked by Dairien B from Chula Vista
- 11 19, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this adapter allow me successfully display a late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro (HDMI output) on a LG UltraFine 4K monitor (USB-C input)?)
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter