Will this allow a Thunderbolt 2 hard drive connect to a USB-c PC Machine?
- Asked by Michael M from Oro-medonte
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this allow a Thunderbolt 2 hard drive connect to a USB-c PC Machine?)
1 Answer from the Community
Yes, only if the USB-C PC Machine has Thunderbolt 3. The USB-C port might be USB only, in which case, it will not support Thunderbolt devices.
I have read that the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter requires the Thunderbolt 3 controller of the computer to have NVM firmware version 18 or newer. Earlier versions such as 16 might not allow the adapter to work (it will be detected as only a non-functioning USB device). Use the Intel Thunderbolt software to determine the NVM firmware version (should be in the task bar). I would try it in any case to be sure.
The Apple adapter is different from other manufacturers' adapters because the Apple adapter also allows using Thunderbolt 3 devices with Thunderbolt 2 computers (it works in both directions). The Apple adapter also is less expensive than others (sometimes by 50%).
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Will the USB-C connect thunderbolt?
- Asked by Carlene R from Spring Hill
- 04 3, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the USB-C connect thunderbolt?)
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
Which external hard drives have Thunderbolt connections?
- Asked by Robert L from Laguna Hills
- 04 11, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Which external hard drives have Thunderbolt connections?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2m) - Whit…