Will this provide power to my MacBook Pro 2016 from an Apple Thunderbolt Display?
Currently, with the Apple Thunderbolt Display, there's a MagSafe cable that provides power to my MacBook Pro 2012 Retina while all peripherals are connected via Thunderbolt . So, will this adapter provide power and peripheral connectivity or will I have to purchase a new LG Thunderbolt 3 Monitor?
3 Answers from the Community
Charging from the ATD won't work. You need a separate power source.
- Answered by Jens T
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
No. The Thunderbolt display provides power via a MagSafe connector; this adapter does not have a MagSafe connector, and there is currently no way to get one on the new MacBook Pro.
You do not have to purchase a new monitor: this adapter will work fine for the MacBook Pro 2016 and a Thunderbolt Display, allowing you to use the display, audio, camera, microphone, USB ports, and ethernet ports on the thunderbolt display. You will need to plug in a second cable, just as you always have, for power, except that it will need to be a USB-C cable and charger. One of those comes with the new MacBook Pros.
- Answered by Thomas N from Aurora
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
- Answered by Eduardo M from Torreon
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Can this be used in combination with an hdmi cable and an hdmi to thunderbolt adapter to power a Thunderbolt Display for MacBook?
- Asked by Maggie B from Philadelphia
- 18 Dec 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used in combination with an hdmi cable and an hdmi to thunderbolt adapter to power a Thunderbolt Display for MacBook?)
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
Does the Thunderbolt wire charge the MacBook Pro's battery when connected to a 27" Thunderbolt display?
- Asked by Sean K from Commack
- 10 Aug 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Thunderbolt wire charge the MacBook Pro's battery when connected to a 27" Thunderbolt display?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2m) - Whit…
What do you need to hook up A1267 Cinema Display to 2016 MacBook Pro
- Asked by David S from Irvine
- 8 Mar 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (What do you need to hook up A1267 Cinema Display to 2016 MacBook Pro)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter