Will it work with a Rode Video Mic
would this support a Rode video mic, one with a 3.5mm jack that would normally be used with a DSLR camera?
- Asked by Neil A
- Flag as inappropriate (Will it work with a Rode Video Mic)
2 Answers from the Community
In short, Yes.
I do video production using iPhone cameras, gimbals, and Røde Mics. I was hesitant to upgrade from my iPhone 6s Plus, because of the uncertainty regarding this exact issue. Still, the temptation of DOUBLE the on camera storage (from 128 to 256GB) and the enticement of the new dual lens camera (optical and digital) were enough to make me buy the 7 (while keeping my 6s along with its trusty headphone jack, just in case...) LOL!
The Good news is:
I just tested my Røde SmartLav plugged into my new iPhone 7 Plus' Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter and recording with FilMic Pro. It works when plugged in directly, and it work when plugged in to my 25ft TRRS extension cable.
I haven't tested my Røde Video Mic GO nor my Røde VideoMicro (which I normally use with the TRS patch cable plugged directly into my JVC GY-HM170U Ultra HD 4KCAM as a backup audio capture separate from the Røde NTG2 Condenser Shotgun Microphone plugged into 1 of the 2 XLR channels) yet, because I am waiting on the new SC7 3.5mm TRS to TRRS Patch Cable Adapter I just ordered from Amazon, but in theory, since the SmartLav was automatically recognized my the iPhone through the Lightning Adapter the other two mics should work just as well.
Since I too had the same question and got NO answer before I got to test it myself, I hope this helps!
- Answered by Patric C from Las Vegas
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I tried using the Rode Video Mic and had very mixed, but unsatisfactory, results with the iPhone 7 Plus. Usually there was a crackling (static) sound and after 20 tries I only had one time that the recording was pretty clean. However, I tried the same tests using the iPhone 7 mic alone and the sound volume was about the same as using the Rode Video Mic so I am not sure if the Rode mic was even connecting, except for the static sound. (I also used Filmic Pro and the iPhone video apps for these tests.)
- Answered by Gary O G from Boise
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Can I use the mic from the AirPods whilst filming video from my IPhone?
- Asked by Mike M from Sydney
- 01 28, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the mic from the AirPods whilst filming video from my IPhone?)
- Asked about: AirPods
Is there a 3.5 to 3.5 adapter for iphone 5s? I want to plug in a standard clip-on lavaliere mic. The plug fits, but the mic won't work w/o an adapter.
- Asked by Thomas Q from Los Angeles
- 10 13, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a 3.5 to 3.5 adapter for iphone 5s? I want to plug in a standard clip-on lavaliere mic. The plug fits, but the mic won't work w/o an adapter.)
- Asked about: Apple iPhone TTY Adapter
Does this work with Apogee Jam and Apogee mic?
- Asked by Steve W from Sydney
- 01 21, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this work with Apogee Jam and Apogee mic?)
- Asked about: Lightning to 30-pin Adapter (0.2 m)