Has anybody actually used this charger to charge an iPhone (no guesses, please).
HAS ANYBODY ACTUALLY DONE THIS? The charger outputs 20v. USB voltage is typically 5v. Can an iPhone really handle a 20v input? Current is not an issue (the device will draw whatever wattage it needs and the 60w capacity of the charger is more than enough to feed an iPhone), but voltage *is* an issue. If the iPhone doesn't have internal voltage regulation that will let it handle the 20v (as compared to the 5v of a typical USB charger), the phone will literally burn up, and I don't really want to experiment with a $800 device. It could work, but only if the iPhone is designed for it.
All too often, answers on these forums are just guesses. Has anybody actually plugged their iPhone into this charger using a USB-C/lightning cable?
- Asked by Allen H from Berkeley
- Flag as inappropriate (Has anybody actually used this charger to charge an iPhone (no guesses, please).)
2 Answers from the Community
I have charged my iPhone using this wall plug adapter and additionally bought a 2m cable from Apple with my iPhone 7+ charger on the end as the USB-C one doesn't fit, it charged my phone efficiently with no issues. It is a lot easier to just switch cords rather than wall adapters between charging my MacBook and iPhone. Hope this helps :)
- Answered by Christelle W from Albany
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I just used the 87W charger with the USB C to lighting cable from apple to charge iPhone 6s from 14% to 50% in about 30mins and up to 95% in 1hr 45mins.
- Answered by Wong K
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Can you use this charger to charge other devices than the 12" Macbook?
- Asked by Christopher J K from Providence
- 02 7, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you use this charger to charge other devices than the 12" Macbook?)
- Asked about: 29W USB‑C Power Adapter
Does using an iPad charger activate Fast Charging on iPhone X and iPhone 8?
- Asked by Octavian C
- 10 22, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (Does using an iPad charger activate Fast Charging on iPhone X and iPhone 8?)
- Asked about: iPhone