do you have to have your phone out with the app on the screen for this to open the door? It isn't clear to me how it works.
- Asked by Susan E from Roland
Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with Century Trim
Product No Longer Available
2 Answers from the Community
There are five ways to unlock this smart deadbolt. The conventional way is to use the key provided with the lock but this is a "smart" deadbolt so Schlage considers that a backup to the ways you are intended to use it. I'll list the other ways below.
2. Pull out your iPhone, unlock it, launch the Schlage app and tap on the screen to unlock the door.
3. Pull out your iPhone, unlock it and issue a Siri command like, "unlock the front door," provided you named the lock "Front Door." You can name it whatever you want. Note: as a security feature, Apple requires your phone to be unlocked to accept Siri commands to unlock a door.
4. Using the keypad, press the Schlage logo to activate the keypad, type in your access code, they can be 4-8 digits, voila, your door is unlocked.
5. You can also use an app like Home, available in the App Store, to create a geofence that automatically unlocks your door as you approach your house in which case you need not do anything more than turn the handle to enter your home. Note that this functionality requires remote access and as such an Apple TV 3rd generation or newer is required as well as an iCloud account.
Other members of your family with iOS devices can use methods 2 and 3 above provided you've shared access with them. Anyone can use method 4 and they can each have their own unique code so you know who has been coming and going as there is a log kept by the smart deadbolt. You can even create temporary codes for guests or other people who need temporary access.
- Answered by Gino C from Toronto
You can open using the code on the door or (thanks to HomeKit) by using Siri on your phone or Watch. The app doesn't need to be open to use Siri. Make sure you have an 3rd gen TV or newer to use Siri/Homekit.
- Answered by Sevag M from Laval