i am using macbook 2008 aluminum where up to os x version update now runing version is os x 10.5.8 what can i do
please tell ne where up to update 2008 macbook aluminium
- Asked by Morish M
- Asked about: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
2 Answers from the Community
Your MacBook can be "upgraded" to Snow Leopard. Buy disk from the Apple Store and install, and then do Software Update (under the Apple Menu) until you are at OS 10.6.8.
OS 10.6.8 includes the "App Store" app. It is through the App Store app that one can install Lion (OS 10.7), Mountain Lion (OS 10.8), or Mavericks (OS 10.9). (for Lion and Mountain Lion one needs to purchase a code from the online Apple Store, in order to install and download either of those OS versions through the App Store app.
However, not all of these OS versions will run on all Macs.
Go to "About This Mac" under the Apple Menu. Select the "More Info . . . " button and then click the "System Report" button. Note the Model Identifier ID.
If the Model Identifier is:
- MacBook1,1 --> Maximum OS it can run is OS 10.6
- MacBook2,1 MacBook3,2 MacBook4,1 MacBook4,2 --> Maximum OS it can run is OS 10.7.
- MacBook5,2 --> supports latest OS 10.9
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
You need to purchase, install and update OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. Then you'll be able to upgrade to OS X 10.9 Mavericks using the Mac App Store.
- Answered by Robert T from Chatham