I have an intel based MAC, but when I go to order OS X Snow leopard, it will only let me order it at a local store. How do I download Snow Leopard?
- Asked by Robert M
- Asked about: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
2 Answers from the Community
Snow Leopard has never been sold as a download.
It is only available on disc. Shipping is free if ordered from the Apple Store online.
If your make does not have an optical drive, there are three methods to install:
1) Connect your Mac to a network with a computer that has an optical drive. The computer can be a PC running Windows XP or Vista, or a Mac running OS 10.4.10 or later (OS 10.5 or OS 10.6 preferred). The Mac needs to be older than mid-2010. There is software on the Snow Leopard disc to allow Remote Install of the Mac OS from computers with optical drives.
2) Use an external optical drive. (This "should" work.)
3) Get a USB flash stick that is at least 8GB in size. Use Disk Utility to reformat it as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". On a Mac with optical drive, use Disk Utility to RESTORE the Snow Leopard disc to the flash drive. Connect flash drive to your Mac and restart while holding the Option key. Start up from the flash drive and install Snow Leopard.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
Snow Leopard is not available as a download.
- Answered by Robert T from Chatham