Similar questions from the community
Is the AirPort Extreme Compatable with a Comcast Modem/Router
Please Hang with me here, I am NOT an Apple User as of "YET", and not really great at Computer Language. That said, here goes.
1). I own a 2 year old DELL Laptop, (Don't Like It at all)! its Slow, has 4 Gigs of RAM and a 2.16 Gighrtz Processor. I am Looking to go with an Apple Laptop.
2). We have Comcast Internet Service Wireless Router Modem that is 150MB Download and 12MB Upload. It is there Latest Modem and was replaced 2 weeks ago. I use my Laptop Hardwired to the Modem with an Ethernet Cable, My Wife has a Dell Desktop that is Hard Wired also, if I switch to wireless "IE" Unplug the Ethernet Cable, I can go to Starbucks and get a cup of coffee and come back and the Page "MIGHT BE" Loaded. Wired, it aint much faster!
So, I have talked to some friends that have apple Computer Laptops and swear by them. What I don't know is, are they Wireless "ONLY"? How do I use my Printer that has a USB Cable attached (Not Wireless)?
3). If I buy an Apple Laptop Computer, And, want to use it at its FASTEST / BEST Speeds and Capabilities, can I purchase the AirPort Extreme, and use it with or Attached to the Comcast Modem to get better Distance and more reliable Internet service? We Stream Netflix, VuDu, Pandora, and such regularly. Our TV Is an older Plasma Unit from 2003 and we have DIRECT TV with the Wireless GENIE'S, Can someone Explain to me in Layman's Terms if this will work without me having to call Comcast In the Philippines and getting all Upset, And, just what I have to do if I go to the Expense of Switching over to APPLE and an AirPort Extreme Router. Sorry if I have forgotten anything, but I am not sure how much longer I can deal with DELL. My wife has No Intention of switching anything with her system until it Fails, and does not want to go away from the Hard Wired Set up. Any Help is Appreciated. Thank You So Much. Ken Davis. By The Way, my Family all has I Phones and I Pads...
- Asked by Ken D from San Jose
- 03 4, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the AirPort Extreme Compatable with a Comcast Modem/Router)
Can Airport Extreme be used with a combination modem/router?
If so, how would be hooked up?
- Asked by Gerald G from Gold Canyon
- 07 23, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can Airport Extreme be used with a combination modem/router?)
How do I set up Airport Extreme as BOTH a Switch AND Wireless Access Point?
My Comcast Modem is a Motorola SBG6580 which is a combination modem/router. I have a password protected LAN connecting both wired and wireless devices. In my office I want to install an Airport Extreme connected to the Motorola with a CAT 6 cable, and then cable-connect my iMAC to the Airport Extreme, AND use the Wireless capability of the Apple Extreme to connect iPhone and IPad.
The Apple Extreme would function as a switch for the connecting the iMAC to the LAN, and as an Access Point for the wireless devices. Can this be done? How do I navigate the setup choices?
- Asked by William H H from San Francisco
- 11 7, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I set up Airport Extreme as BOTH a Switch AND Wireless Access Point?)
Can you extend a Comcast wireless network with an AirPort Extreme?
- Asked by Richard D W from Livingston
- 02 11, 18
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you extend a Comcast wireless network with an AirPort Extreme?)
What is the best router to purchase and pair with an Airport Extreme? Comcast provides my internet
I have Comcast Blast internet with speeds north of 200 while plugged into the ethernet but wireless is rarely faster than 50. I am currently using the Airport Extreme as my router and the Netgear 6300 as my modem.
- Asked by Matthew R from Houston
- 02 14, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the best router to purchase and pair with an Airport Extreme? Comcast provides my internet)
Can the new Airport Extreme be used as a universal repeater or a network extender?
My current modem/router - Cisco DPC3925 - provides a very limited WiFi range. The current router resides on the ground floor, I want the wireless coverage to extend up to the second and third floor.
Would I be able to use the Airport Extreme as a repeater for my main router and extend my wireless coverage?
If yes, does the Airport Extreme provides a good wireless coverage?
- Asked by Sze Kiat N
- 06 22, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the new Airport Extreme be used as a universal repeater or a network extender?)
ATT modem/router combo which I do not think works well. How will the Extreme work in this situation or do I need a new modem? I have no experience.
ATT modem/router combo which I do not think works well. How will the Extreme work in this situation or do I need a new modem? I have no experience and would have to do this alone. Currently the internet always goes out, and has issues with new devices logging into the network, as well as issues streaming. We are thinking replacing the router will help this situation. Ideas?
is there a range extender that is compatible with airport extreme
- Asked by Sara H from St. Paul
- 12 28, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (is there a range extender that is compatible with airport extreme)
I have a Cisco DPI Gateway (modem/router) and want to connect an external HD for wireless back-up. COX disabled the USB port; will Extreme help solve?
- Asked by Brady B from Santa Barbara
- 09 7, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a Cisco DPI Gateway (modem/router) and want to connect an external HD for wireless back-up. COX disabled the USB port; will Extreme help solve?)
I have a U-verse router/WiFi providing Internet access and WiFi. If I add an AirPort Extreme to this setup, will it connect wirelessly to my modem?
Do I need to connect the AirPort Extreme to the Internet router via a wire, or will it configure itself with the U-verse modem wirelessly? Ideally, I'd like the Airport to run a separate subnet for printers, etc, while enabling Internet access via the Internet modem/router. Feasible?
- Asked by Philippe P from Berkeley
- 06 19, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a U-verse router/WiFi providing Internet access and WiFi. If I add an AirPort Extreme to this setup, will it connect wirelessly to my modem?)
Can the AirPort Extreme connect to AOL broadband?
I have AOL broadband and would be interested in upgrading my existing wireless router, but I want to know if the AirPort Extreme is compatible with AOL (now TISCALI).
- Asked by Robin R
- 06 15, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the AirPort Extreme connect to AOL broadband?)
Is AirPort Extreme ADSL2+ or VDSL Compatible? I have CenturyLink DSL internet
ADSL2+ or VDSL Compatible?
- Asked by Jeffrey N from Colorado Springs
- 10 19, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Is AirPort Extreme ADSL2+ or VDSL Compatible? I have CenturyLink DSL internet)
does it connect with other switches like belkin or linksys router so i can extend my network extend the network!?
for ex, i hv 4 villas all connected to the main villa through network cable, the main villa has router connected to the internet the rest villas has Belkin switch router that act as access point. so if i use AIRPORT Extreme as Modem router does it will network will be fine???
- Asked by Fahad A from Springfield Gardens
- 11 6, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (does it connect with other switches like belkin or linksys router so i can extend my network extend the network!?)
Is the new airport extreme compatible with the ViaSat modems used by Exede?
I have two older airport extremes - 6yrs and 8-9 yrs old. Neither is working well with the ViaSat.
- Asked by Jeffrey B from Mount Desert
- 04 8, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the new airport extreme compatible with the ViaSat modems used by Exede?)
Currently leasing a cable/wifi combo from COMCAST. It stinks. Buying a new Modem. Is the Airport Ext. that much better than say a $20 TP-LINK router?
I can get both a new Cable Modem and the TP-Link Wi-Fi for $106. Wondering if the AirPort Extreme is worth it. I really want great RANGE and speed. Have a 2200 sq ft colonial and want great service on second floor. I get COMCAST Blast internet service.
I am sure it is a great investment, just wondering if it is worth the heftier price tag? Thanks!