Similar questions from the community
do I have to connect this to the incoming cable/internet line/
I'm a roommate in a house with 4 users. Internet is extremely slow. Just opening this page it scrolled for one minute seven seconds. Because its not my house I can not get my own service put in. Does this replace the router from the cable company or do I have to connect it to the U-verse line coming in? Or is there another option to get internet to my IMAC.
- Asked by Carole L from Kennesaw
- 06 19, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (do I have to connect this to the incoming cable/internet line/)
USB hub connected to Airport Extreme. Can you suggest an auto switching usb hub?
I have a USB printer & backup HDD connected to my Airport Extreme & the printer keeps going off line as the HDD is being accessed & have to reboot the hub each time.
- Asked by John O from Rozelle
- 12 1, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (USB hub connected to Airport Extreme. Can you suggest an auto switching usb hub?)
Our internet is delivered by our cable company through a telephone line. What router should I use between the wall jack and the AirPort?
- Asked by Lynn E from Lexington
- 03 5, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Our internet is delivered by our cable company through a telephone line. What router should I use between the wall jack and the AirPort?)
can I use my iPhone as internet source through a high powered router?
I have a second house (farm house) and no cable internet available. I am currently using my iPhone as the hotspot (with limited range - big house). Is it possible to use my iPhone as the source for a router that would then distribute the internet access to laptop, PC, other devices?
- Asked by Martin B from Montreal
- 01 14, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (can I use my iPhone as internet source through a high powered router?)
Can this be used without an internet connection or does your modem need to be connected
I have a modem and an iOS device but no external internet connection
- Asked by Merrit G from Mount Morris
- 11 26, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used without an internet connection or does your modem need to be connected)
No answers yet
Can we connect blackberry devices
- Asked by Dan M from Kitchener
- 08 27, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can we connect blackberry devices)
No answers yet
How can I manage the wired connection on the AirPort Extreme?
I use both wireless and wired connection on my AirPort Extreme. The wireless connections work great. But when my Dell computer that is wired to the AirPort Extreme hibernates, it loses its connection to the internet. It remains connected to the AirPort Extreme, but loses the connection to the internet on the wired connection (back to the cable modelm). At this point the only solution seems to be to restart the Dell computer, which takes forever. Any wireless connection remains fine. Trouble is this Dell computer is reasonably fast on wired connection and fairly slow on wireless connection, or I'd just switch it to wireless connection too. Any ideas?
- Asked by Gary T from Sugar Land
- 03 25, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (How can I manage the wired connection on the AirPort Extreme?)
Can you use it in a hotel to create a more secured wifi connection
Can you configure the extreme to use the hotel's wireless connection to create an access point for your devices? Majority of WiFi at hotels are open and not secured.
- Asked by Dennis J P from Sinajana
- 02 24, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you use it in a hotel to create a more secured wifi connection)
Can the AirPort Extreme connect to AOL broadband?
I have AOL broadband and would be interested in upgrading my existing wireless router, but I want to know if the AirPort Extreme is compatible with AOL (now TISCALI).
- Asked by Robin R
- 06 15, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the AirPort Extreme connect to AOL broadband?)
I do not have a cable modem. My current router connects directly to ethernet connection in the wall. can I connect Airport Extreme the same way?
- Asked by Armand D from Southport
- 01 5, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (I do not have a cable modem. My current router connects directly to ethernet connection in the wall. can I connect Airport Extreme the same way?)
will this boost the signal from my hotspot on my phone
I use my hotspot on my phone to connect. Will the airport work with this or do I need a hardwired internet connection?
- Asked by Sharon S from Rangeley
- 09 25, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (will this boost the signal from my hotspot on my phone)
Can the Airport Extreme extend my network to a building in sight?
I have a wireless system in a guest house I've used while my main home was under renovation. Now that it's done, I'd like to extend my Internet to the house. It's about 50 to 75 feet away and in line of sight. How do I best do this? I have Metrocast as a provider and use their provided modem, a Motorola Surfboard Wireless Cable Modem Gateway.
- Asked by Diane C from Irvington
- 01 7, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the Airport Extreme extend my network to a building in sight?)
can i connect an external drive to the airport express for backup?
I want to do wireless backup to a disk, so i connected it to the airport express. The time machine sees it, but does not allow me to backup
- Asked by Ariel A from San Juan
- 10 22, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (can i connect an external drive to the airport express for backup?)
Connecting AP Extreme to gen 3 Time Capsule
Currently have a gen 3 2TB TC connected to my cable modem. TC currently does routing, DHCP, wifi and backup. Wireless on the TC is poor, very poor, having to reboot the TC every few days to keep wifi optimal. I want to add an AP Extreme to the network to do wifi. I would keep the TC connected to the cable modem and it would do DHCP and backup letting the AP Extreme handle wifi. Furthermore the TC is in the basement, the AP would be on the main floor connected via Ethernet to the TC. Anyone see any issues with this? As for connecting the AP to the TC, can I run from one of the GB enet ports on the TC to the WAN port on the AP Extreme or do I have to build a crossover cable to go from gigabit enet to gigabit enet? Thanks!
- Asked by Mark L from Cumming
- 07 20, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Connecting AP Extreme to gen 3 Time Capsule)
No answers yet
Can I use multiple airport extremes to improve connectivity in a house?
I live in a 70 year old townhouse that is constructed of poured concrete. We currently have our cable modem and (older than 5 year) airport extreme router in the basement with our computers. The signal strength to the main floor is weak, even with a booster. The signal strength on the top floor is terrible. Can I improve wireless reception throughout the house if I upgrade the basement router to a new airport extreme and also install airport extreme routers on the main and top floors as signal boosters? Can I leave the cable modem in the basement or should I move it to the first floor where there is a cable connection? Is there a better solution to improve wireless connectivity in this home situation?
- Asked by Steven P from Chicago
- 02 15, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use multiple airport extremes to improve connectivity in a house?)