Questions & Answers for Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
225 Questions from the Community
Yes, as long as you meet two requirements:
(1) You have the new series of MacBook Pros with the mini display plug, which is significantly smaller than the old mini DVI plugs.
(2) You purchase a cable that has one male DVI-D end (to plug into this adapter) and one male HDMI end (to plug into the TV). There are two types of DVI-D cables. This will only carry single-link, although both types will physically plug in and work.
p.s. This type of cabling system will not carry audio to your TV since DVI-D cannot carry audio, so you will need to hook an external sound source to your MPB if you want greater sound than your computer speakers can produce.
- Answered by Tony B
- 12 28, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I want to connect my macbook to our Samsung lcd television, is this the right cable?)
Is it an active displayport setup or passive?
- Asked by Rudolf C from Hamilton
- 10 11, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it an active displayport setup or passive?)
It is passive.
- Answered by J D
- 11 1, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is it an active displayport setup or passive?)
The 24" iMac I bought in the fall of 2008 had a mini-DVI. Now the iMac is delivered with a min-Display port. Sometime between then and now they switched. So first you must determine which port you have. I purchased the mini-DVI to DVI adapter and used it with a Samsung SyncMaster T240HD with no problems. However, the adapter is only about 6-8 inches long so I found it necessary to buy a standard DVI cable to reach from the adapter to the 2nd monitor. I would assume from the descriptions and pictures that the mini-display port to DVI adapter is about the same length.
- Answered by Stephen E H from Huntsville
- 03 8, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this adapter plug into my 24 inch imac (2009 model) to add second moniter that is dvi ready?)
24" LED monitor, need to connect to Mac Mini with DVI, not mini port display
- Asked by Brenda P from Vancouver
- 01 26, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (24" LED monitor, need to connect to Mac Mini with DVI, not mini port display)