Questions & Answers for Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter
181 Questions from the Community
isn't an old firewire to new firewire converter needed here, eg, going from new macbook pro (new firewire) to old cinema display (old firewire)?
I Have a really nice, but really old 23" HD Cinema display (originally for G4). Is it possible to connect this ADC connection to a new macbook via dvi
The main problem is that the Cinema Display has no power supply on its own, only the old ADC connection. Is there an adapter that allows this functionality? Really do not want to throw this bad boy away.
No answers yet
MacBook Air connected to Display
I'd like to connect my MacBookAir1,1 to a larger display. Which one and how?
- Asked by Eva T from Bermuda Dunes
- 04 25, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (MacBook Air connected to Display)
How do I connect a June 2010 iMac (with a mini-display port) to the MacBook Air (a thunderbolt port), so I can use the macbook air as a second screen?
No answers yet
would it work with wacom Cintiq 12WX
- Asked by Michel O from Lithonia
- 10 21, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (would it work with wacom Cintiq 12WX)
could I connect my mac via mini diplay port too my my 42 inch hd plasma tv?
I"m considering buying a mini mac and sitting it under my plasma while using a wireless keyboard,is this set up possble???
- Asked by Gary H from Glasgow
- 10 18, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (could I connect my mac via mini diplay port too my my 42 inch hd plasma tv?)
Yes if it has a vga or a dvi capability you can do that. You dont necesarily have to buy this afapter you can get a normal mini displayport to vga or dvi port for 29 dollars
- Answered by Perla M from Los Angeles
- 10 20, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (could I connect my mac via mini diplay port too my my 42 inch hd plasma tv?)
Hi all, I have an iMac, 2.55 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, and I'd like to run my 30" all aluminum cinema display on it. Can I do this? TIA.
It's not the new 30", and I'm mainly concerned that I get good resolution out of the 30", as we shoot high res studio images to it. Currently running G5 powermac, world's most expensive paperweight.
- Asked by Harold R from West Chester
- 07 10, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Hi all, I have an iMac, 2.55 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, and I'd like to run my 30" all aluminum cinema display on it. Can I do this? TIA.)
No answers yet
Is the Mini DisplayPort to dual link DVI adaptor the right connector to connect the new 27" apple cinema display to a late 2008 MacPro?
- Asked by Holly B from Grand Forks
- 10 21, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the Mini DisplayPort to dual link DVI adaptor the right connector to connect the new 27" apple cinema display to a late 2008 MacPro?)
No, it's converting in the wrong direction. This is to connect a monitor that requires a DVI-DL connect (most 30" displays) to a machine that only has Mini DisplayPort output (all recent Mac laptops, MacMini, and iMacs).
You may not need an adaptor depending on what video card is in the MacPro -- is there a small not-quite square port on the video card, besides the larger DVI connector? Wikipedia has pictures of what MiniDisplay Port looks like. If you have that port, you'll be able to connect new Apple displays without an adaptor.
Gefen and Altona both make DVI to Mini Display Port converters, but it a quick search didn't find them on Apple's site -- you might need to try Amazon or some other store.
- Answered by Joseph H from Upper Marlboro
- 01 26, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is the Mini DisplayPort to dual link DVI adaptor the right connector to connect the new 27" apple cinema display to a late 2008 MacPro?)
Can connect MacBook Air to iMac therefore use the iMac as a monitor for the MBA?
What specific cable(s)?
- Asked by Alyce D from New York
- 09 5, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Can connect MacBook Air to iMac therefore use the iMac as a monitor for the MBA?)
which HDTV works with 2 yr old mac mini
This version is limited to one display. I have 2GB of RAM in my dual core Mac Mini and want to convert this into my entertainment center. I've been told I'm limited to 30" max and I'm OK with that but I want to know what is the "best" configuration. Thank you very much.
- Asked by Matt D from Winston Salem
- 11 18, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (which HDTV works with 2 yr old mac mini)
30" is the max if your using a computer display. I have my Mac Mini, with only one display port hooked up to my Panasonic Viera 42" Plasma and it work's great. If your looking for a good TV for a Mac Mini, try to find one with a DVI in and that is 1080p.
- Answered by Dylan B from Ponte Vedra Beach
- 12 30, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (which HDTV works with 2 yr old mac mini)
Which Mac cable do I need to connect new 15" MBP to new 27" iMac so MBP runs on iMac screen? Both have Mini DisplayPorts.
- Asked by Peter M from Notting Hill
- 03 25, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Which Mac cable do I need to connect new 15" MBP to new 27" iMac so MBP runs on iMac screen? Both have Mini DisplayPorts.)
Can I connect Lenovo laptop (with VGA port) to an '08 Macbook (not pro) that only has USB ports to get extended screens?
- Asked by Melanie K from Aurora
- 06 20, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect Lenovo laptop (with VGA port) to an '08 Macbook (not pro) that only has USB ports to get extended screens?)
why would I need to spend £60 on a Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter? what is the advantage over the DVI adaptor that comes with a mac mini?
I'm about to buy a mac mini and will connect it to a 32" Philips HD TV via the DVI input. I'm totally stumped as to why I should buy a £60 cable when the mac mini comes with a mini-DVI to DVI connector anyway ... am I missing something here?
the dual link DVI adapter supports resolutions higher than 1900x1200. your tv has resolution of ~1900x1080 (if it is a 1080i or 1080p). for resolutions up to 1900x1200, the typical mini displayport -> dvi adapter that came with your mac mini will be sufficient. this dual link dvi is for people who want multiple displays or the 30" apple cinema display (which has a resolution much higher than 1900x1080)
Its about 6" long
- Answered by Francis J
- 01 23, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How long is the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter?)
Can I run Windows XP on an 27-inch iMac and connect a 30-inch Apple Cinema Display HD to run SolidWorks?
I have a 30-inch Apple Cinema Display HD and would like to buy a 27-inch iMac. I will need to run a windows operating system (to run SolidWorks, Matlab and other windows programs). Will both monitor work OK at full resolution under a windows OS? It appears that this is OK with an Apple OS, is this true?