Questions & Answers for Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter
185 Questions from the Community
Yes, that should work. With the higher resolution, the 30-inch display would require the dual-link adapter that you specified. Interestingly, the relatively new Thunderbolt ports also double as Mini DisplayPort connectors, so that adapter should work like magic.
- Answered by Stephen K from Provo
- 02 19, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter work to connect a Mac mini to a 30" Cinema Display?)
Will this cable adapter allow me to connect my late 2008 Macbook Pro, 15inch, to an Asus PB278Q 27inch monitor? Flawlessly?
I am trying to upgrade my monitor, coming from an ages old 21inch Acer.
- Asked by Andrej V from San Francisco
- 12 26, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this cable adapter allow me to connect my late 2008 Macbook Pro, 15inch, to an Asus PB278Q 27inch monitor? Flawlessly?)
I have 2 iMacs and I would like to connect them both to an external monitor. Also be able to switch between the two. How can I do that?
I have a personal iMac and an iMac used strictly for work on loan from my employer. I have limited space in my office. I need a way to connect both of my iMacs preferably through dvi to 1 LCD monitor. I want to be able to use that LCD monitor as a second display on both iMacs with the ability to switch between computers. I've read that a KVM switch maybe what I'm looking for. However I've also read it described as a way to control 2 PC's with one keyboard and mouse, that is not what I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated.
- Asked by Francisco R from Zephyrhills
- 05 11, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (I have 2 iMacs and I would like to connect them both to an external monitor. Also be able to switch between the two. How can I do that?)
Can I use my old but fully working monitor (Cinema HD display c.2006) with a new laptop?
I would like to buy a new macbook but have an older monitor. Is there an adapter I can use to make this possible? Otherwise I have a redundant perfect monitor!!
Thank you, Kate
Can I connect my macbook pro Retina to two x "Mini DisplayPort to Dual-link DVI Adapter" driving 2 x Dell 2560x1600 monitors?
I have a macbook pro Retina. I am happy using it with a Displayport Dual-DVI adapter with a Dell monitor (2560 x 1600). I would like to know if I can order a second adapter and connect my macbook pro Retina to a 2nd exactly the same monitor?
Thank you in advance.
- Asked by Mehran S from Miami
- 02 5, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect my macbook pro Retina to two x "Mini DisplayPort to Dual-link DVI Adapter" driving 2 x Dell 2560x1600 monitors?)
I am happy to report that I was able to connect 2 adapters to attach to Dell Cinema monitors (2650 x 1600 each) to my Macbook Pro.
Note that each adapter needs a USB port which meant the second adapter had to use a USB port on the right hand side of my MBP. Fortunately, the y-shape part of the adapter is long enough to reach the USB on the right side.
Also, I can use the built-in monitor for a total of 3 screens. I am using the set-up for mostly browsing and highly text based app so I cannot vouch how the set-up might operate with low latency apps such as games running high-res and fast changing graphics.
- Answered by Mehran S from Miami
- 02 7, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I connect my macbook pro Retina to two x "Mini DisplayPort to Dual-link DVI Adapter" driving 2 x Dell 2560x1600 monitors?)
Is the Mini DisplayPort to dual link DVI adaptor the right connector to connect the new 27" apple cinema display to a late 2008 MacPro?
- Asked by Anonymous A from Xxxxxxxxxxx
- 10 21, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the Mini DisplayPort to dual link DVI adaptor the right connector to connect the new 27" apple cinema display to a late 2008 MacPro?)
No, it's converting in the wrong direction. This is to connect a monitor that requires a DVI-DL connect (most 30" displays) to a machine that only has Mini DisplayPort output (all recent Mac laptops, MacMini, and iMacs).
You may not need an adaptor depending on what video card is in the MacPro -- is there a small not-quite square port on the video card, besides the larger DVI connector? Wikipedia has pictures of what MiniDisplay Port looks like. If you have that port, you'll be able to connect new Apple displays without an adaptor.
Gefen and Altona both make DVI to Mini Display Port converters, but it a quick search didn't find them on Apple's site -- you might need to try Amazon or some other store.
- Answered by Joseph H from Upper Marlboro
- 01 26, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is the Mini DisplayPort to dual link DVI adaptor the right connector to connect the new 27" apple cinema display to a late 2008 MacPro?)
could I connect my mac via mini diplay port too my my 42 inch hd plasma tv?
I"m considering buying a mini mac and sitting it under my plasma while using a wireless keyboard,is this set up possble???
- Asked by Anonymous A from Xxxxxxx
- 10 18, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (could I connect my mac via mini diplay port too my my 42 inch hd plasma tv?)
Totally possible. I am running my new 13" macbook pro into my Samsung 42" HDTV using the mini display port adapter, and a DVI to HDMI cable I bought an apple keyboard w/number pad, hooked up my Logitech MX Revolution wireless mouse.....whallah....42" of Mac. Works absolutely fantastic.
For those of you who want to do this with a macbook......start with the TV off, I open the Macbook press the power button, then immediately close it all the way. Next turn on the TV. and you should be set. I use my laptop as a "desktop" literally everyday. When I do need to go somewhere however, I pull a few wires and walk out the door. The nice thing is, that i am not wearing out the keyboard and the laptop screen when i am hooked up to the flatscreen tv. the life of my macbook LCD screen will be extended ten fold.
Hope this helped.
- Answered by Eric M from Uniontown
- 10 21, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (could I connect my mac via mini diplay port too my my 42 inch hd plasma tv?)
How can i add three monitors to my iMac?
My brother gave me two of his monitors and I already have extra monitor that i use with my imac. I dont want to sell the extra 2 monitors i got. How can i connect the extra 2 monitors to my imac?
- Asked by Michael M from Colorado Springs
- 03 18, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (How can i add three monitors to my iMac?)
Will this item allow me to connect a 2nd 30' Apple display to a MacPro 5.1 & Radeon 5770 using the mini display port ?
The fist 30' ACD is connected to the DVI port and is working fine.
The second would be connected to the mini display-port (the card has 2) using this adapter.
Anybody having this setup ?
- Asked by Mircea N from Pierrefonds
- 09 18, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this item allow me to connect a 2nd 30' Apple display to a MacPro 5.1 & Radeon 5770 using the mini display port ?)
can I connect my mac mini " late 2012" to an Eizo Color Edge CX271W-BK27 monitor?
Mac mini "late 2012":
Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2,6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MM61.0106.B03
SMC Version (system): 2.8f1
Serial Number (system): C07LV2H1DY3H
Hardware UUID: A473DC4B-EBA1-540E-AD02-006882757BED
i want to use an Eizo 27 inch monitor:Eizo Color Edge CX271W-BK27
Is this possible? Whay connector should I use?
can i connect a macbook air to two monitors?
- Asked by David N from Rockville
- 08 6, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (can i connect a macbook air to two monitors?)
Yes you can. I connect my MacBook Pro to a 42" flatscreen TV.
I have never used this cable, but still disagree with the other answer concerning pixilation. I had a similar pixilation problem, and I was writing furious blogs to Mac. But then I discovered that in System Preferences you can reconfigure the "Energy Saver" "Graphics" setting to "highest performance". I haven't had the problem since....It was not a cable issue.
There is an external video problem when your MAC is set for "better battery life", but there are two power configurations: "Battery" and "Power Adapter". I set the Power Adapter setting to "Highest Performance" and the "Battery" to "Better battery life". When I use my external display, I plug in the power adapter.
I am not the sharpest tool in the computer shed so if you can take your mac to an apple store and try it out first to validate, do it. And I bet you dollars to doughnuts or pounds to peanuts that you can duplicate the problem on an Apple display and fix it with the above configuration changes.
- Answered by Sean P from Folly Beach
- 04 14, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can i connect my Mac Book Air(with mini display port) to 30 inch Apple cinema display? with this cable)
Will I be able to connect the Monoprice 30" IPS CrystalPro Monitor 2560x1600 Display as a second external monitor to my 15" Macbook Pro Retina.
I have a 27" thunderbolt display connected to my 15" macbook Pro. Would I be able to connect a Monoprice 30" IPS CrystalPro Monitor as a second external display and have 2560x1600 resolution using the Dual-link DVI adaptor?
What cable I need to connect Mac mini to a display with DVI connection
- Asked by Gabor B from Victorville
- 06 24, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (What cable I need to connect Mac mini to a display with DVI connection)
What do I need to have to connect 2- 24" monitors to a new mac pro?
What do I need to have to connect 2- 24" monitors to a new mac pro? What cables, graphics, etc. do I need to have in order to connect to 24" monitors? This is my first mac and I plan on using it for my studio, and I need to displays.
- Asked by Anonymous A from Xxxxx
- 11 27, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (What do I need to have to connect 2- 24" monitors to a new mac pro?)