Questions & Answers for AirPort Express
731 Questions from the Community
It seems the new airport express does the same things as the airport extreme base station. If this is the case why would I need the base station?Answer
As of Oct 2014 the Airport Express is still just 'n' speed, and supports a network printer.
The express is small and very portable.
Can be either a main wireless router or network extender.
The new tower style Airport Extreme has been updated to include the latest high-speed higher range 'ac' as well as b/g/n. The Extreme can handle an external usb hard drive or usb printer.
The Extreme is larger and not nearly as portable as the Express and meant for permanent installs.
The Extreme comes in 1TB & 3TB models that also allow Time Machine backups, VERY convenient!
Just like the Express, can be either a main wireless router or network extender.
Is it compatible with old air ports ?
- Asked by Sami H from Doral
- 06 12, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it compatible with old air ports ?)
The AirPort Express is compatible with 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n-enabled Mac computers, iOS devices, Apple TV, Windows-based PCs, and other Wi-Fi devices.
- Answered by Dean S from Encino
- 06 18, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is it compatible with old air ports ?)
When used as a range extender, does this unit carry the same bandwidth of your wireless network? Any noticable downshift in your download speeds?
No answers yet
can you hook this up to a computer and use the ethernet cable hook up to the computer like a wireless internet card
- Asked by Christopher F from Lebnon
- 10 11, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (can you hook this up to a computer and use the ethernet cable hook up to the computer like a wireless internet card)
If you have a wifi-enabled printer, you can have the printer in a separate room. Just add the wifi network on your printer and your printer will be recognized.
- Answered by Christopher W from Cincinnati
- 02 12, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does a wireless printer have to be connected to the AirPort express USB or can I have the printer in another room.)
WILL THIS WORK ON IPHONE 4
I have an iPhone 4 and cannot stream movies from the internet at my office. Will this Airport Express work?
- Asked by Lee B from Towson
- 10 6, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (WILL THIS WORK ON IPHONE 4)
Does the new Airport Express output audio to 'non-powered' speakers? The product description says 'any connected speakers'
- Asked by Robert A from Colorado Springs
- 06 12, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the new Airport Express output audio to 'non-powered' speakers? The product description says 'any connected speakers')
I can't say whether or not it will work with any speakers in all existance, but it works with a small non-powered speaker I tried and also with Apple Earbuds.
- Answered by Timothy M from Hillsboro
- 07 3, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the new Airport Express output audio to 'non-powered' speakers? The product description says 'any connected speakers')
What are the dimensions of the device?
- Asked by Michael P from Newnan
- 08 31, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (What are the dimensions of the device?)
Can I hook multiple devices up to 1 airport express, or do I need an airport for each device?
Can I, for instance, hook both my USB printer and my network based HD up to one airport, or would I need 2 airports to do so?
Can this Extend the Network of my Verizon FIOS ActionTec Router?
I have a Verizon-supplied Actiontec router, which is in one room in the house. I'd like to put the Airport Express int the living room, connect it to the stereo for Airplay AND extend the Wireless Network of the ActionTec router, is this possible?
- Asked by Yonah W from White Plains
- 09 8, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this Extend the Network of my Verizon FIOS ActionTec Router?)
Does this replace Wifi
Can I take this to school to set up a wifi hotspot, similar to the service on the iPhone. Ontop of that, can it act as a wifi router in my house? Basically, can I just just plug this thing in and get wifi?
- Asked by Lauren P from Seattle
- 01 24, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this replace Wifi)
It will create a wifi signal that you can use but will not provide internet unless you plug in to your internet provider. I use it in my classroom as a wifi generator for my apple devices to work wirelessly in the class (not to be confused with internet connection). I can then send signals to apple tv for display. If you don't need internet, then all you need for a stand alone presentation system is electricity, iPhone/ipad/mac, this router, apple tv, and either a tv or projector. It is a fantastic system!
- Answered by David I from Winnipeg
- 01 28, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this replace Wifi)
No internet, rural area. does the airport ex allow me to play music over the airports wifi network to speakers?
My wife and I live in a very rural area without internet. We have a mobile share plan (with tethering) for out Iphone 4s'. I want to setup a wireless speaker network to play my itunes music around the house. Will the airport express allow this?
If I understand correctly, I will need to purchase multiple airport expresses. Let's say, 4 total, 1 for each room I want speakers in and one connected to my PC with my Itunes library? I connect each airport to a set of speakers in said rooms and I can control the itunes library from my iphone via an app from anywhere in the house, and it's all completed wireless save the connections from airport ex to speakers and pc.
please help me make sure this is clear before I go and spend $400 bucks on these pups.
- Asked by Susan M from Monroe
- 01 18, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (No internet, rural area. does the airport ex allow me to play music over the airports wifi network to speakers?)
Yes! Your music will still stream regardless of having an actual internet connection or not.
- Answered by Sanjay S from Brampton
- 02 7, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (No internet, rural area. does the airport ex allow me to play music over the airports wifi network to speakers?)
Is there e reset button on the AirPort Express?
i am changing my router
- Asked by Patrick M from Rye
- 10 5, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there e reset button on the AirPort Express?)
my only internet connection is provided by a usb modem. Will the usb port to on this device let me use this port to connect to the internet this way?
No answers yet
does it connect to cable internet
- Asked by Sheila C from Jamestown
- 11 25, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (does it connect to cable internet)
Can I use this to improve my wifi around my house?
My modem is down stairs and I have a lot of trouble connecting all of my devices such as laptop, PS3, Xbox to my wireless network. I'm two floors above my modem will this help me get a better connection.
- Asked by Luke W
- 12 11, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this to improve my wifi around my house?)