Questions & Answers for AirPort Express
728 Questions from the Community
Do the shared printing options from any of the wifi stations support AirPrint so that I can use an otherwise incompatable printer with my iOS devices?Best Answer:
AirPrint works only with AirPrint printers, and none of those need this. AirPrint Printers can be found on the left sidebar of the online store under the title for iPad.
- Answered by Timothy M from Hillsboro
- 07 3, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Do the shared printing options from any of the wifi stations support AirPrint so that I can use an otherwise incompatable printer with my iOS devices?)
Can i use the express to extend the network of my school's wifi?
I have free wifi on my macBook from my school. But the school's wifi does not reach my whole appartment. Can i extend the wireless internet by using the express so that it will reach the rest of my appartment?
Is it able to extend a network, where i don't have the modem or ethernet cable to. All i have is wifi in my bedroom and would like to extend it about 20 feet to my living room. Thanks!
- Asked by Elijah A from San Jose
- 09 1, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use the express to extend the network of my school's wifi?)
I talked with an apple representative and that is the purpose of this device. It is used to extend the wifi network, and make it go into another part of the house. It would be perfect for your need.
- Answered by Steven L from Deer Park
- 10 22, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can i use the express to extend the network of my school's wifi?)
yes you can.
It uses any airport device for extension.
Time capsule, airport express or airport extreme.
Can this be used in my schools common room?
We have several enthernet ports but no wifi and I am trying to get internet acess on my ipad.The other isue is that we have content filtering, would this be a isssue? Thanks!
- Asked by Karl L
- 01 10, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used in my schools common room?)
Can the new AirPort express share / extend a WiFi connection ?
The new AirPort Express has a WAN connection to share ethernet, can it also share / extend a Wireless network, for instance to be used as a portable router whilst travelling ?
- Asked by Simon B from Burton On Trent
- 06 12, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the new AirPort express share / extend a WiFi connection ?)
- Answered by Michael H from Arlington Heights
- 06 30, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can the new AirPort express share / extend a WiFi connection ?)
does it have Power over ethernet?
- Asked by Gregorie H from Macungie
- 06 12, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (does it have Power over ethernet?)
Nope - this is only available on very specific high end-routers. Don't try plugging powered ethernet into this please!
- Answered by Andrew G from Kenilworth
- 06 15, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does it have Power over ethernet?)
Does the Airport Express steam your pictures as well as music?
- Asked by Thomas T from Bartlett
- 04 3, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Airport Express steam your pictures as well as music?)
how do i set up as bridge to printer
need to use airport express bridge mode to printer (will use ethernet cable to connect printer to airport express) in existing airport extreme network.
Where are instructions to set this up?
- Asked by Paul S from Buffalo
- 12 16, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i set up as bridge to printer)
print from USB and LAN using 2 different printers?
Can I connect 2 different printers, one into USB and the other through Ethernet cable and be able to print to both? AND can I use this to extend my current wireless network so the printers can connect wirelessly instead of long cables?
- Asked by Robert H from Elk Grove
- 08 2, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (print from USB and LAN using 2 different printers?)
first of all you need to consider 2 things, one if you are using a pc or a mac. if you are using a pc you have to download 2 programs form the apple web site: the first one called: bonjour for windows and the other one called: airport utility for windows, just make sure you're using the latest versions.
airport utility is used to config the settings in your airport express, the latter program is going to be used to discover and config the printer in your windows system.
on the other hand macs are a totally different world, you don't have to install any of those programs because both applications are already in the OS. there are plenty of tutorials on the web that can give you a very clear and detailed idea on how you can install a printer and set your airport express in a windows system.
thirdly, you have to install the second printer, so as to do this you need to check if your printer has got an internal Lan card or it doesn't have any. if your printer does have one, just connect the printer into the lan port of your airport express, read the instructions that comes with the printer or visit the manufacture's web site for further details on this topic.
but if your printer does not have any internal lan card, don't worry about that just plug in the printer to the USB port in your airport extreme then use the bonjour utility to discover the device and then installed it in your windows pc.
To install a printer on a mac just go to system preferences, then make click on the icon named print and scan, there are plenty of info on the web about this. I hope this can give you an idea.
- Answered by Charles I from Lake Hopatcong
- 08 5, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (print from USB and LAN using 2 different printers?)
If I plug in my speakers (amp to old school speaker) to the jack can I airplay audio to Airport from Mac and iPhone and have it play through them?
Basically I have a small set up in my room of an old sony amp and goodmans speakers, the amp has rca connections on the back so I do a simple 3/4" jack to rca and plug it into my iPhone or Mac and it works fine. What I want to be able to do is to play audio, via airplay i'm assuming, to the AirPort Express, have it output through the jack socket on the rear and play though my setup as it would as usual.
Hope this makes sense.
Absolutely! I do this to an amp and speakers on my back porch and outside. The amp is a '70s Dynaco SCA-80Q which supports four speakers. Two are in the enclosed porch, the other two are mounted outside in the back yard. It works wonderfully!
During the cold months I move the AirPort Express (an older version) inside to the living room and connect it to my AV receiver. For the audio connection between the Express and the receiver I use a min-to-optical (Toslink) cable.
Yes. An airport express can be used independently for Airplay. Set it up to create its own wireless network. The limitation is that the device managing airplay must then be connected to that same network.
- Answered by Duke S from Hingham
- 06 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (To use airplay)
No Internet network in our RV?
Can we set up a network in our RV, with a airport express and AppleTV? We will not have internet access at the campground, but want to use Airplay from our iOS devices. Is this possible without an Internet connection?
- Asked by Jason C from Hebron
- 03 9, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (No Internet network in our RV?)
Does USB port of AirPort Express support 3G UMTS modem for internet sharing...?
i.e By connecting the 3g dongle to the usb port we can utilize the internet connection on the network.
- Asked by Sushil J from New York
- 12 19, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does USB port of AirPort Express support 3G UMTS modem for internet sharing...?)
Will the Airport Express Base Station work with AT&T DSL?
- Asked by Allison W from Brackettville
- 11 23, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the Airport Express Base Station work with AT&T DSL?)
Is airport express compatible with Motorola phones
- Asked by Eileen I from Snohomish
- 11 20, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Is airport express compatible with Motorola phones)