Questions & Answers for AirPort Express
712 Questions from the Community
Is an airport express a router or just a wireless access point?
- Asked by Michael P from Norwalk
- 12 11, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Is an airport express a router or just a wireless access point?)
Do I need a fast internet connection if I plan to use AirPort Express only to stream music from my iOS device to AirPort Express-connected speakers?
What I'm trying to set up is this: I have a primary router in one room, and then I'll have AirPort Express in another room. The AirPort Express will have speakers attached to it. I also plan to move AirPort Express around the house for the times I want to take music to another room. My iOS devices and my AirPort Express will always be in the same room.
My concern is: if I stream music from my iOS device to my AirPort Express speakers, will the music have to be streamed first to my primary router in the other room before being relayed back to AirPort Express? Or will my iOS device have a direct connection? The reason I'm wondering this is that I've noticed that with iTunes wifi sync, I'm actually required to be online, even if my Mac and iOS device are in the same room. I believe that's the same for the iOS remote app as well. So it seems that I have to go through the cloud first anytime my iOS and Mac communicate wirelessly with each other. My concern now is, is that going to be required for streaming music to the AirPort Express that is just a few feet away from me? Because I hope not. I have thick walls in my house and my AirPort Express will probably at times be far from the main router. Additionally, I only have a 1 mbps connection (there are no faster connections in my area). So if I have to go through the cloud first before being able to stream music, there could be significant skipping.Best Answer:
No because AirPlay does not use your Internet connection, it's all connected through the airport express.
Can this be used in my schools common room?
We have several enthernet ports but no wifi and I am trying to get internet acess on my ipad.The other isue is that we have content filtering, would this be a isssue? Thanks!
- Asked by Karl L
- 01 10, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used in my schools common room?)
Will Airport Express Base station substitute for my removed Airport card?
If I buy the Airport Express Base station will it replace the airport card which was removed from my Imac as it was causing problem and let me use the Wifi. At the moment I am using a wired connection to me modem.
I am running OS 10.6.
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM41.0055.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.1f5
Serial Number (system): CK62106MU2S
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CB861618
- Asked by Paul R
- 06 12, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Will Airport Express Base station substitute for my removed Airport card?)
Well if you connect it say using the Ethernet cable directly then yes, you mac will assign an address, you can expect the modem and apex to work together. Actually it should perform better than regular apex card
- Answered by Keneth W
- 06 21, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will Airport Express Base station substitute for my removed Airport card?)
Does the Airport Express steam your pictures as well as music?
- Asked by Thomas T from Bartlett
- 04 3, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Airport Express steam your pictures as well as music?)
how do i set up as bridge to printer
need to use airport express bridge mode to printer (will use ethernet cable to connect printer to airport express) in existing airport extreme network.
Where are instructions to set this up?
- Asked by Paul S from Buffalo
- 12 16, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i set up as bridge to printer)
replacement power cord
hey, my house was flooded during hurricane sandy and im just now starting to move back in.. I realize now that the power cord was completely submerged and is shot.. however the airport itself was not damaged by the water and is in good condition... I was wondering if you can buy just a new power strip or if im going to have to buy the whole new router?
- Asked by Ryan O from Brick
- 02 22, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (replacement power cord)
Yes. An airport express can be used independently for Airplay. Set it up to create its own wireless network. The limitation is that the device managing airplay must then be connected to that same network.
- Answered by Duke S from Hingham
- 06 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (To use airplay)
What is the gain of the antenna in this version (in dBi)? I have a wifi router that has a 5 dBi antenna, will AP Express have better signal?
No answers yet
Will the Airport Express Base Station work with AT&T DSL?
- Asked by Allison W from Brackettville
- 11 23, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the Airport Express Base Station work with AT&T DSL?)
Is airport express compatible with Motorola phones
- Asked by Eileen I from Snohomish
- 11 20, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Is airport express compatible with Motorola phones)
What cable/s are needed to connect it to a stereo?
- Asked by Stewart F from Fremont
- 06 26, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (What cable/s are needed to connect it to a stereo?)
I had the same question and was surprised no one had answered yours, so I went looking for the answer. Here's the information from the set-up guide in the support section for the Airport Express:
If you connect AirPort Express to your stereo or powered speakers, you can use AirPlay to play music from iTunes on any computer or from an iOS device on your network.
To set it up:
Connect the Audio Out port on your AirPort Express to your home stereo or powered speakers. Use a digital fiber optic cable, an analog mini-stereo-to dual-RCA cable, or a mini-stereo to mini-stereo cable, depending on what type of connectors your stereo uses.
Note: You cannot use USB speakers with your AirPort Express. Use powered speakers with a stereo mini-jack connector.
- Answered by Dr David H from Severn
- 09 20, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What cable/s are needed to connect it to a stereo?)
can the air port express take high temperatures?
- Asked by Gordon T from Reedley
- 07 2, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (can the air port express take high temperatures?)