Questions & Answers for AirPort Express
719 Questions from the Community
No, you can only extend a wifi network that originates from Apple equipment - Time capsule, Airport Extreme/Express. You can use it to join a BT Home Hub wifi network in order to provide AirPlay in a remote location or for ethernet internet access for a device that does not have wifi. Ive tested this with a BT Home Hub 3.
- Answered by Oliver J
- 09 1, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will AirPort Express Base Station work as a wifi network extension with BT Home Hub3?)
Will this replace my existing bt homehub
Looks great! I have an existing airport and airport express linked to a BT homehub.
I'm looking to replace my old home hub and I see the new base station has a WLAN port. Will this directly connect to an existing ADSL line with microfilter or do I still need an ADSL filter and BT Homehub (i.e. retain my home hub connected to ADSL and link to airport via LAN cable). Thanks
- Asked by Carl G
- 06 20, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this replace my existing bt homehub)
If your BT homehub makes use of an external modem (such as the openreach 'infinity' FTTC/FTTP modem) then yes as you would connect the modem to the Express. Otherwise no, the express is not a modem and the telephone line will not plug directly into the Express.
You could turn off wifi on the BT HH and then connect the Express to it via ethernet cable and use the Express as the wifi access point for your network.
- Answered by Oliver J
- 09 1, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this replace my existing bt homehub)
how to connect to amp with rca inputs audio connections to amp seems i need the headphone jack to rca but can i also use the usb or eithernet
would using the eithernet or usb be a better audio option to use iphone etc and play thru my current amplifier?
Do I need to pay for an internet service or will this take the place of it?
I am moving and need to find a new source of internet, my question is that if i buy this, will i be able to just use this for my internet or will i still need to find an internet provider?
- Asked by Kate F from Washington
- 12 31, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Do I need to pay for an internet service or will this take the place of it?)
No, you will need an internet provider.
- Answered by Ryan B from Toronto
- 02 5, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Do I need to pay for an internet service or will this take the place of it?)
How do I connect the airport to a Verizon air card
- Asked by Don U from Chestertown
- 11 29, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I connect the airport to a Verizon air card)
Can I attach a FWT, fixed wireless terminal, device to the AirPort to enable wifi?
I live in a rural village abroad and have internet access through a FWT, fixed wireless terminal. A SIM card is inside a large telephone you connect the FWT to a computer via USB cable. You then connect to the internet on the computer using a program such a FWT. Would it be possible to connect to the AirPort and broadcast wifi?
- Asked by Julia S from Milford
- 09 16, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I attach a FWT, fixed wireless terminal, device to the AirPort to enable wifi?)
Can I use an AirPort Express with a WD 6TB My Book Thunderbolt Duo Dual-Drive Storage System and a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter?
To stream music using iTunes. Both when iMac is on and using iPhone or iPad when iMac is off.
No answers yet
The tech specs indicate compatibility with airport utility 6.1. It doesn't specifically say "or later." Is it also compatible with version 6.2?
- Asked by Kim F from West Hartford
- 04 30, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (The tech specs indicate compatibility with airport utility 6.1. It doesn't specifically say "or later." Is it also compatible with version 6.2?)
No answers yet
Provided I connect this with an audio cable, I can send music from iTunes on my iPad to play on my older (5 yo) mini hi-fi?
My hi-fi is an LG, about 5 yo, has dual AV inputs on back exactly as described in Airport Express user manual, so shouldn't be a problem to connect it. Can play music from a USB stick & can play from CDs burned on a computer (my previous one couldn't).
Am hoping this will enable me to play my iTunes music from my iPad, trying to avoid need to buy new, expensive dock for iPad to get good music quality!
- Asked by Jenifer R from New Town
- 06 21, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Provided I connect this with an audio cable, I can send music from iTunes on my iPad to play on my older (5 yo) mini hi-fi?)
Affirmative! you can even do so wirelessly. Using Airplay. Apple wireless devices, extremely versatile. Cheers.!
- Answered by Bill B from Red Oak
- 03 25, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Provided I connect this with an audio cable, I can send music from iTunes on my iPad to play on my older (5 yo) mini hi-fi?)
Can i connect my router that i have now to the airport express in a different level of my house?
I want to use the airport express as a router for my room, so i can connect my computer and playstation to the internet. If i buy the airport express, can I have it so that it recieves the signal from a belkin router downstairs and will give me internet upstairs? I know it sounds silly because wifi works in the whole house, but i need to be able to hardwire the playstation.
- Asked by David W from Cary
- 07 16, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i connect my router that i have now to the airport express in a different level of my house?)
Are a modem and/or router a necessity in order to setup the express, or can it be run as its own, individual wifi signal?
The place where I want the express is a far distance in my house from the router & modem. In order for the express to work, can I just plug it into an outlet and connect my computer/ios devices to it, or do I have to have it connected to the modem/router to use it?
- Asked by Dustin R from Haworth
- 08 24, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Are a modem and/or router a necessity in order to setup the express, or can it be run as its own, individual wifi signal?)
Is there be a difference in range and/or performance if I use an ethernet WIRED 5th Gen Extreme or a new Express for roaming network?
Currently I'm using a a 5th Gen Extreme as my primary router. Want to create a roaming network. Will I see performance difference between Extreme and new Express?
No answers yet
How do I change from airport express first generation to new airport express base station (second generation)?
I currently have the 1st gen airport express plugged into the wall and connected to our cable (wired) router via the ethernet port. It provides a wireless network to our two computers in other rooms of the house. The coverage is OK, but it occasionally is slow and/or briefly loses the wireless connection.
I recently bought the second generation airport express base station with the two ports (Ethernet and WAN), and I want to switch over to the new APExpress. My questions are: 1) In what order should I do things? (eg unplug the old APExpress before plugging in the new APExpress base station, or vice versa) and 2) In which port on the new APExpress should I plug the cable from the router into, the Ethernet port or the WAN port?
One last question: Does it make any sense to connect both APExpresses to the router, i.e. connect 1st gen airport express to ethernet port of new APExpress base station, and connect the new APexpress base station to the router via the WAN port?
As you can tell by my questions, I'm not a very techhie kind of guy, so please make the answer simple:-)
- Asked by Steven G from Yokohama
- 04 29, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I change from airport express first generation to new airport express base station (second generation)?)
It will support any audio that iTunes can play.
- Answered by Michael H from Arlington Heights
- 06 30, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What's the max resolution coming out of the optical port? Does this support higher than 16/48?)
External storage via ethernet?
If I can't use the USB port to access external storage wirelessly, would I be able to hook up a network-enabled external drive via one of the ethernet ports, and have the other port lead to my modem? I don't want to get an Airport Extreme as that lacks the optical audio output that I want to use for a home audio system
- Asked by Devon S from Richmond
- 11 3, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (External storage via ethernet?)
So I can hook my iPhone up to this and it will make a wifi hot spot?
I have an iPhone with an unlimited Internet plan. I am in the market to get an Internet service in my house for my iPad and Xbox. If I could use my Internet from my phone that would be amazing.
- Asked by Kelsey L from Pasco
- 02 3, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (So I can hook my iPhone up to this and it will make a wifi hot spot?)