Questions & Answers for AirPort Express
731 Questions from the Community
Can both ethernet ports be used when extending or joining an existing network?
The only limitation I have with the current generation of Airport Express is the fact that I can only plug in one wired device when using it to extend or join a current network. If someone gets one of these and has an existing network, could you please find out if both ports are usable or if you need to buy an external hub to connect 2 wired devices to the network.
- Asked by Julian A from Gilbert
- 06 12, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can both ethernet ports be used when extending or joining an existing network?)
No... the WAN port is for a WAN - it's not a LAN port, so it still only has one LAN connection. It is not a switch. You would need to buy a switch to have multiple wired connections connecting to this Airport Express. I'd suggest at home just a good brand one for about £20 ($30) and at least 10/100 if not 10/100/1000.
Don't use a Hub. I'm not sure many people use them since the early 90s!
- Answered by Bobak F
- 06 19, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can both ethernet ports be used when extending or joining an existing network?)
I want to replace my 10yo Dlink Router. Will Airport Express BS work with windows 7 32bit on laptop, and Fusion on Mac Mini running Lion 10.7.5Answer
Windows 7 is able to configure the base station as well as Lion. Now in Fusion, if Lion has a connection, Fusion will install the appropriate network driver into 7 for the virtual machine to get internet access. Windows7 should have no issues seeing or working with the Express, in a VM or a physical machine...
- Answered by Michael M from Elkton
- 02 21, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I want to replace my 10yo Dlink Router. Will Airport Express BS work with windows 7 32bit on laptop, and Fusion on Mac Mini running Lion 10.7.5)
What is the apple airport express
I really would like to know what u have to do to set up create a new wireless thing
- Asked by Julian C from Las Vegas
- 11 10, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the apple airport express)
Can I use this while I am traveling in Europe?
I am traveling to Italy and was wondering if the airport express works with their broadband and or dial up.
- Asked by Laura E from Coatesville
- 08 7, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this while I am traveling in Europe?)
Yes - but you may need an adapter to provide power.
- Answered by John B from Palm Harbor
- 09 27, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this while I am traveling in Europe?)
I want to stream music to different areas of my house, simultaneously from 1 apple device. (macbook or iphone)
I have been able to stream music from itunes and spotify through a hifi connected to my TV through apple TV.
I've also been able to send sound to 2 outputs from my mac. The 3.5mm output on it and apple TV however the sound is out of sync by half a second or so.
If I bought an apple airport express, could I use this and apple TV to play music (from spotify OR itunes) at the same time and remain in sync?
Or is there a way to correct the output time lapse between my mac's 3.5mm out and apple tv?
can airport express work with window vista operating system
I want to use Airport Express in India the Operating system here is Window Vista, and I am not able to connect the same.
- Asked by Meena D from St.thomas
- 09 25, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (can airport express work with window vista operating system)
Do I need an AirPlay enabled MacBook to use the AirPlay function in the AirPort Express?
I have a late 2008 unibody MacBook which does not support airplay. I would like to stream music from iTunes to an AirPlay enabled speaker system. Could I use AirPort express to do this?
Airplay compatibility with G4 Macs
My WiFi soundsystem has an Airport Extreme base station and an Airport Express node connected to a Bose sound system. I have a Macbook Pro (2014) and an iMac G4 (the "jetsons" with Mac OS 10.4.11) that is hardwired (LAN ethernet) to the base station. Sound system has worked for @ 10 years until I replaced the worn-out Express with a new one last year. The G4 now appears not to have Airplay capability anymore (I can't find it on Airport Utility) and the G4's ITunes (version 9) will not show multiple speaker options.
Can I restore this G4 back to the Airplay WiFi network?
- Asked by Calhoun B from Mebane
- 07 16, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Airplay compatibility with G4 Macs)
What are the dimensions of the new AirPort Express Base Station?
- Asked by Matthew W from Easton
- 06 12, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (What are the dimensions of the new AirPort Express Base Station?)
It's the same size as the Apple TV. The tech specs page will give you the exact size to be sure.
- Answered by Rob E
- 06 20, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What are the dimensions of the new AirPort Express Base Station?)
Will Airport Express cover a 2000 square foot house area?
- Asked by Robert E from Anacortes
- 05 9, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Will Airport Express cover a 2000 square foot house area?)
Can the Airport Express use a cell phone "hotspot"?
While sailing in Puget Sound, I use my cell phone "hot Spot" for a wireless access point. However the range is limited. Could an Airport Express use the hotspot as the "Source" network and extend it?
- Asked by Arnie H from Bremerton
- 11 28, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the Airport Express use a cell phone "hotspot"?)
airport express multi amp/speaker/system
I want to just extend my wireless system. I DO NOT WANT TO USE THE AIRPLAY OPTION.
So can I use say Pandora, Tunein etc. and select my wireless instead of Airplay and send the same thing to both my express units? (2) That way I can play to my stereo/ amp /speaker/ volume controlled in two places at the same time. I am not sure my question is clear since I seem to be getting different replays.
I currently have the 1st gen. express and play into my amp vis a cable. I see that amp port is still on the new gen. so I was in hope this can be done.
- Asked by Gary S from Lake Oswego
- 03 5, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (airport express multi amp/speaker/system)
can I use airport express with a tv without wifi built in. I am not sure how to connect airport express. I get wifi on my laptop and I use a ROKU w/tv
No answers yet
AirPlayer and Wifi Extender?
Can this be used for both use as a connection for air play while also extending the range of my TimeCapsule?
- Asked by Carlos M from Forney
- 05 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (AirPlayer and Wifi Extender?)
Can I use AirPort Express in my vehicle?
is this a mobile device or does it have to be plugged in to the wall outlet?
- Asked by Michael S from Summerville
- 07 1, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use AirPort Express in my vehicle?)
It does work with a iPhone 4 and IPad 1.
- Answered by Kris B from Phoenix
- 10 30, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I create a network between just the iPhone and Airport Express Base Station to stream music to a amplifier.)
Is it faster and better then Netgear?
- Asked by Ceyhun O from Duncanville
- 03 25, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it faster and better then Netgear?)