Questions & Answers for AirPort Express
709 Questions from the Community
You will need to connect to the Airport Extreme using the Airport Utility, Go to the Internet Section, then the Wireless Tab. Check the box "Allow this network to be extended" Then connect to the Airport Express using the Airport Utility, Click on the Internet Section, and under the wireless tab choose "Join a Wireless Network" You also will want to add the same wireless network name as well as security as you have on the Airport Extreme.
- Answered by Matthew B from Lancaster
- 01 15, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (how can I use an Airport Express as a range extender for my Airport Extreme?)
Can this device (airport express) transmit FLAC audio files?
- Asked by Bill & Barbara M from Goose Creek
- 07 17, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this device (airport express) transmit FLAC audio files?)
yes, you can play flac files with an app like vlc or vox and select the airport as source. It will play flawlessly! :)
- Answered by Jean-sébastien A from Montreal
- 12 8, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can this device (airport express) transmit FLAC audio files?)
I'm not sure what you mean by "optimal" but yes, it would work with DOCSIS 3.0. DOCSIS is a standard for delivering Data Over Cable. Connect the DOCSIS cable modem's Ethernet port to the WAN port of the AirPort Express. Plug the AirPort Express into power and use AirPort Utility to configure the device.
- Answered by Earl D from Rochester
- 04 25, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (docsis 3.0 compatability)
Moden - centurylink zyxel C1000? Does the modem need to be in bridge mode or will the airport express take care of everything during setup?Answer
The existing modem settings do not need to be changed in any way by the user. Airport Express takes care of everything during setup. For me, the only issue I had was that initially I keep receiving a message that " an unexpected error occurred. Please try again". The solution was to power down the entire system, which was suggested in the written setup guide. Once the system came back up the setup was very easy and everything now works perfectly. In fact, I did network speed tests before and after and found a significant speed increase after adding Airport Express. The average download speed was 70% faster on what was already a good network. Airport Express is a very impressive little piece of equipment! It is well worth the price.
Yes you can. When string up your Airport Express Base Station, choose the option "Extend a Wireless Network". Select your wireless network and you should be good to go.
- Answered by Dean S from Encino
- 06 22, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can we use Airport Express Base Station in parallel with Time capsule to fulfill wi-fi coverage for entire house?)
Airport express or apple tv
The apple Tv and Airport express are the same price but the Apple Tv does more.
Should i buy an Apple tv to stream my music to my stereo in the other room ?
Or should i buy a Airport express ?
Does the Airport express have more faetures that the Apple TV doesn't have ?
I currently have
I just want to be ablle to stream music tto the stereo's i have through my Two storry house
I just purchaced the Airport Express but i'm now thinking i should of bought another Apple TV ?
- Asked by David C from Kingsley
- 05 6, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Airport express or apple tv)
I'm faced with the same dilemma, as my 802.11g Airport Express suffers from many drop-outs due to multiple interference on the 2.4Ghz band by microwave ovens, cordless phones, baby monitors and the like. Been kind of holding off till the new 802.11ac was implemented across the board by APPLE. More on that in a minute.
The APPLE tv obviously does a lot more in the entertainment arena thru it's ability to stream all your iTunes content to your TV, in addition to NETFLIX, VIMEO, YouTube, hockey and baseball games, etc, etc. But it does not support wireless printing; no USB port. To get the audio from your iTunes music library to your main Stereo, you'd either need an HDMI splitter, HDMI 1.4 with ARC (audio return channel), an HDMI AV receiver, or purchase a Toslink optical audio cable to go directly from the APPLE tv to your Stereo system.
The current version of the APPLE tv still uses 802.11n. While that is plenty for music streaming, the advantage of 802.11ac would be, no possible slowdown of the entire network by one slower link in the chain, as well as being ready for when 4k video streams become more commonplace.
I'm waiting to see if APPLE will update the Airport Express as well as the APPLE tv to the new ac standard. If not in the near future, I'll buy the Express, as at the moment I just want to be able to stream my iTunes library to my main Stereo, and I won't have to shell out for the optical cable. In addition, it'll buy more time to see where APPLE is headed with their APPLE tv "hobby". But for 99 bucks, you can't go wrong either way.
- Answered by Michael V from Barrie
- 06 18, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Airport express or apple tv)
If the modem provides internet connection via a USB cable, this configuration will not unfortunately work. The Airport Express is only configured to receive connectivity to the internet via its ethernet WAN port.
- Answered by Jackson T from Peterborough
- 07 1, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can it(airport base station) convert a 3G USB modem to wifi?)
How much data can this AirPort Store?
In KB,MB,GB or TB
- Asked by Ben D
- 06 24, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (How much data can this AirPort Store?)
The Airport is not a storage device - look at the airport Time Capsules.
- Answered by Jon R
- 09 2, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How much data can this AirPort Store?)
Does the Airport express have to be updated at any time
- Asked by Tammie H from Trenton
- 08 29, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Airport express have to be updated at any time)
Yes, it occasionally receives updates that must be applied. It does not happen often.
- Answered by David H from Cotati
- 11 10, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the Airport express have to be updated at any time)
Can I return my airport express if it does not work?
- Asked by Marilyn V from Naples
- 06 10, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I return my airport express if it does not work?)
Can i use my Android Device with the Aiport Express to stream my music and Audio?
Airport Express with Android
- Asked by Mohamed H from Cairo
- 12 10, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use my Android Device with the Aiport Express to stream my music and Audio?)
Can Air Port Express be used with the FIOS router?
- Asked by Thomas O from Tappan
- 12 29, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can Air Port Express be used with the FIOS router?)
is there any way to increase the AirPort Express connection distance with out using additional airport express??like via add on antennas ?
- Asked by Matthew D from Castle Hill
- 07 22, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (is there any way to increase the AirPort Express connection distance with out using additional airport express??like via add on antennas ?)
It does not have any facility for adding an antenna. I would think repositioning the Express is the only real option.
- Answered by Earl D from Rochester
- 04 25, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is there any way to increase the AirPort Express connection distance with out using additional airport express??like via add on antennas ?)
airport express connection to stereo
- Asked by Derrick S from Portland
- 10 4, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (airport express connection to stereo)
On the Express there is a port for a mini plug that is used for audio out. Use a mini-to-RCA cable or a cable that connects from the audio port to optical/Toslink if your amp/receiver have an optical Toslink connection.
- Answered by Earl D from Rochester
- 04 25, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (airport express connection to stereo)
so what if you already have wi fi in your home, is this device still needed or will my wi fi do the job?
i'm trying to add a printer for printing, and it sounds like the airport express will allow me to print wireless, but if i already have wi fi installed will i still need the airport express to print wireless, and what does this device do different than what i already have?
- Asked by Melvin T from Westchester
- 10 6, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (so what if you already have wi fi in your home, is this device still needed or will my wi fi do the job?)
If your current printer already connects to the wireless network you have, then you don't need this. The Airport models allow you to add printers in two ways: either through a wireless network (if a printer is wifi-capable), or by connecting it via USB to the Airport (you can do this for printers that don't have built-in wireless networking). The Airport Express also has an audio out port which lets you stream music from a computer to a stereo system.
Note that the USB method does not make a non-Airprint-capable printer accessible to iOS devices. You still need an Airprint printer to print from iPad or iPhone.
- Answered by Matt C from Beacon
- 11 18, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (so what if you already have wi fi in your home, is this device still needed or will my wi fi do the job?)
Can I use the AirPort Express with Mac OS X Server's RADIUS server?
I have installed Mac OS X Server on my MacBook Air and would like to create a Wi-Fi network that asks for a username and password with the RADIUS server. Can I use the AirPort Express or do I have to buy the AirPort Extreme?
- Asked by Samuel E
- 01 25, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the AirPort Express with Mac OS X Server's RADIUS server?)
Yes, go to Wireless Tab settings and chose "Join Existing Network". Enter your WiFi password and you are all set!
- Answered by Jesse S from Quartz Hill
- 07 29, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can I use it to extend the range from my sky router?)