Questions & Answers for AirPort Express
718 Questions from the Community
Will airport express support Horizon HD TV from UPC my signal in another room is bad will airport express work with the horizon tv box boost signal.
No answers yet
WPA-2 or Stronger Protection Available?
Just how strong is the security firewall on the newest Airport Extreme?
- Asked by Larry T from Candia
- 02 19, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (WPA-2 or Stronger Protection Available?)
Can I use Express as router connected to modem & Time Capsule as a way to extend wifi signal?
Here's my dilemma: My modem, AirPort Express, and speakers are in my living room. The speakers are plugged into AirPort Express so I can play my music from any device. At the other end of the house is my study where I'd like to place the Time Capsule so that I can backup my laptop and so that I can extend the wifi signal in my house. Is that possible? And even if it is, am I wasting the Time Capsule's router capabilities by using the Express as the router and the Time Capsule as a means to extend signal?
And why on earth is Express the only router capable of connecting to speakers??
- Asked by Raul C from San Francisco
- 10 21, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use Express as router connected to modem & Time Capsule as a way to extend wifi signal?)
Theoretically you can do that, BUT ... yes you are "wasting" some of the Time Capsule router capabilities. But if you don't need to use those features, I guess it's not a waste except that you are paying for them.
The bigger question is whether the WiFi signal from the Express is strong enough to reach your office so that the Extreme can connect to the WiFi provided by the Express.
A better solution is to connect the Extreme directly to the ISP modem (whether cable or DSL,) and setting the Extreme to provide the WiFi, with the Express extending the WLAN. You may need some help in running new coax, telephone or Ethernet cabling, but it would be worth it unless the expense is prohibitive. Wired is almost always preferable to wireless.
- Answered by Earl D from Rochester
- 04 25, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use Express as router connected to modem & Time Capsule as a way to extend wifi signal?)
Although it's not a supported configuration from BT, you can configure an Airport base station to connect with a BT Infinity VDSL modem using PPPoE. However you will need to configure it with your BT-supplied username and password when configuring the PPPoE settings on the Airport. More help on this on BT's community forums.
- Answered by Daniel A
- 10 5, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can airport connect to bt wifi to become a router for my devices?)
Can I use the new Airport Express to extend my Wifi network? If yes, can it now extend both the 2.5 and 5 Mhz bands simultaneously?
- Asked by Markus C from Menlo Park
- 06 12, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the new Airport Express to extend my Wifi network? If yes, can it now extend both the 2.5 and 5 Mhz bands simultaneously?)
It can extend your wifi network, but only if you have another apple AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme or TimeCapsule connected via ethernet to your modem/router.
- Answered by Anayat C from London
- 06 13, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use the new Airport Express to extend my Wifi network? If yes, can it now extend both the 2.5 and 5 Mhz bands simultaneously?)
It has less Ports, no support for Hard Drives, and it is theoretically less powerful although it still packs a fairly large punch. It also features AirTunes, which the Extreme and Time Capsule do not.
- Answered by Timothy M from Hillsboro
- 07 3, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (So... how does this differ from the Extreme model now? just less ethernet ports and no hard drive sharing?)
Can I AirPlay to multiple AirPort Epress/apple TV/AirPlay devices simultaneously from my iPad only - or do I need a computer running with iTunes?
I want to be able to play music via my iPad or iPhone to an AirPort Express, an Apple TV and a Bose Soundlink Air simultaneously (without the need to have a computer running) - is this possible?Best Answer:
You will need a computer running iTunes, you can only select one device from iOS. Even with the computer, there is no guarantee they will run in sync - for me, the Apple TV and the Airport Express (previous generation) are out of sync by about half a second.
- Answered by Jack W from Riverside
- 10 24, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I AirPlay to multiple AirPort Epress/apple TV/AirPlay devices simultaneously from my iPad only - or do I need a computer running with iTunes?)
DM Zone on Airport Express LAN port ?
Does the new LAN port on the new Airport Express supports DM Zone feature?
- Asked by Shu Chee T
- 07 25, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (DM Zone on Airport Express LAN port ?)
Will gaming consoles be easy to configure while using the Airport Express as a wifi extender?
I was planning on getting an Airport Express to strengthen the range in a specific room in the house; for the most part, I have a pretty reliable signal majority of the time, but on bad days it gets quite annoying. I was wondering if it would be a good investment for my gaming consoles (PS4/PS3) so I can reduce the chances of experiencing lag. I would really appreciate some feedback!
- Asked by Joy E from Tuscaloosa
- 05 7, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Will gaming consoles be easy to configure while using the Airport Express as a wifi extender?)
do i need airport express and airport time capsule
- Asked by Rebecca S from Drummoyne
- 04 24, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (do i need airport express and airport time capsule)
No. The ATC does both.
I'm assuming your intention is to have your internet or LAN shared securely and simply by Wifi, plus offer TimeMachine backup service to your OSX devices.
In that regard, the Airport Time Capsule has all the features of an Airport Extreme plus adds an internal, shared disk that can be used for TimeMachine backups or for simply a shared storage.
- Answered by Allan C from White Rock
- 12 2, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (do i need airport express and airport time capsule)
Will the Airport function as a router with a dongle/broadband stick from another country inserted in its USB port so I can pickup broadbands services?
I would like to be able to use two iPads at one time when my wife and I are traveling.Best Answer:
No, the USB port is only intended to be used to connect a printer and therefore share the printer over the wireless network. If you plug any other USB device in the USB port, the Airport Express will simply not recognize the device.
can i wirelessly extend a network? AKA airport express wirelessly connects to router and the express creates it's own hotspot.
- Asked by Devin M from Ellicott City
- 01 15, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (can i wirelessly extend a network? AKA airport express wirelessly connects to router and the express creates it's own hotspot.)
can i have a guest log in, and how is it set up?
- Asked by Michael R from Smyrna
- 07 10, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (can i have a guest log in, and how is it set up?)
Yes. You can set up a guest network. However, I have disabled mine simply due to the fact that guests are usually family members and I don't feel like they are any risk to my network. But it is easy to setup. During setup it gives you the option to create a guest network and you can set the attributes based on however much access or bandwidth you give your guests. In my case, if I use the guest option, the guests receive only G speed connection. The N is reserved for my own wireless stuff. Nowadays with the 3rd gen versions, if your ISP can deliver consistent GB speed >1gbps, you can reserve the N band for your guests and use the 802.11 ac for your own equip. Unfortunately for me, MY ISP is not capable of gigabit speed.
- Answered by Bill B from Red Oak
- 09 25, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i have a guest log in, and how is it set up?)
Can Airport Express be wired with Cat5 to my primary unit?
- Asked by Peter S from Brunswick
- 08 15, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can Airport Express be wired with Cat5 to my primary unit?)
how many watt does the airport express has
- Asked by Kim N from Honolulu
- 03 22, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (how many watt does the airport express has)
Do I need an AirPlay enabled MacBook to use the AirPlay function in the AirPort Express?
I have a late 2008 unibody MacBook which does not support airplay. I would like to stream music from iTunes to an AirPlay enabled speaker system. Could I use AirPort express to do this?
I live in a sorority house with 95 other girls and wifi is a major problem, especially with apple tv, will the express help or do I need the extreme?
Can I send photos to a hard drive from iPad using airport express?
- Asked by Paul Nancy V from Toledo
- 02 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I send photos to a hard drive from iPad using airport express?)