Questions & Answers for AirPort Express
731 Questions from the Community
can i backup my macbook with the airport extreme
- Asked by Tamarik R from Oakland
- 06 3, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (can i backup my macbook with the airport extreme)
no. you'll need to buy a time capsule.
- Answered by Andrea V
- 08 3, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i backup my macbook with the airport extreme)
Do the Ethernet WAN & LAN ports on the Airport Express work to pass through an Internet connection even when the AirPort Express itself is shut down?
I have a cable modem with a single Ethernet port, which can be used to connect it to either a computer or a WiFi router, such as the AirPort Express. Thus if the modem is connected to a wireless router and an Ethernet connection to a computer is also desired, the latter must be connected to the Ethernet LAN port on the wireless router, which passes through the Ethernet WAN connection from the modem. I want to be able to turn off the wireless router when I don't need WiFi, but still have the computer connected to the Internet via Ethernet. Some wireless routers pass the connection from their Ethernet WAN port (connection from a modem) through to the Ethernet LAN port even when the device is itself not running. Is this true of the AirPort Express?Answer
The way you have worded your original question is confusing, however I think what you are asking is if the Express can be a bridge for Ethernet only if the WiFi is turned off. The answer is yes.
is this compatable with BT home hub?
i have numerous apple products and a couple of laptops and an office computer & I want to know how to link up the airport system to enable it to work with all the products, i phones, i pads, i pods and playstations etc and stream music.
Do I need to connect it with a cable to phone line ? or will it pick up signal wirelessly ?
- Asked by Melanie B
- 11 4, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (is this compatable with BT home hub?)
Easy answer yes, just connect an Ethernet cable from your home hub to the Airport Express and you should have a wireless network up and running shortly after that
- Answered by Fergus C from Newcastle-upon-tyne
- 11 23, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is this compatable with BT home hub?)
Can i connect my computer without wifi directlly to the AirPort Express network LAN port and watch on my Apple TV as iTunes files?
That my personal computer is not WiFi, and I want to connect by lan cable to the airport express. Thanks.
what is airport express used for
- Asked by Jim S from North Olmsted
- 04 5, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (what is airport express used for)
Can I use Airport Express as an AP?
I have a Netscreen as firewall, connected to Internet, and I'd like to extend its LAN ports to wireless.
- Asked by 晓斌 刘 from Shanghai
- 02 8, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use Airport Express as an AP?)
What is the range of the new airport express? I typically do presentations across the street at a meeting room that does not have wirless.
I can see my office window from the building I do my presentations in. I'm hoping i can set up an airport exprss in my window and get to my computer for internet presentations. I know you can't give gurantees but what is the distance rating on the new improved modle?
Can I play music from any app on my iPad to a sound system through the AirPort Express?
I want to use my iPad to wirelessly play audio through a soundboard/mixer with the "Prime" app by Loop Community. Is that possible?
- Asked by Trevor C from Greenville
- 03 21, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I play music from any app on my iPad to a sound system through the AirPort Express?)
does airport express have a current converter so that I can use it in Australia without using a converter?
We are going to Australia and want to use Airport Express. Does it require that I use a separate currency converter from 120 - 220 or does Airport Express have a built in converter?
- Asked by Murray M from Thunder Bay
- 01 15, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (does airport express have a current converter so that I can use it in Australia without using a converter?)
Yes, I've done just that. When you select the Airplay icon it lets you choose which speakers you want to stream to. If you are streaming from a computer you can send the audio to any combination of airport expresses connected to speakers. If you are using an Ipod or Ipad you can only stream to one at a time.
Of course, you can use your Ipod/Ipad with the remote app to control Itunes on your PC to stream to multiple airport expresses.
- Answered by Jonathan W from Vienna
- 06 20, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (So you can purchase multiple airport expresses to connect speakers around the house?)
Can I use this to set up a personal wi-fi with a password on a large public wi-fi, such a campus wi-fi?
I have a wireless printer in my dorm and you are unable to log onto the campus wi-fi on my printer, additionally if I was able to then everyone on the wi-fi would be able to print on my printer. Could I set this up in my dorm so that I could use my printer wirelessly without having to worry about others using it? How would I go about this and would it cause a lot of interference?
- Asked by Sammie E from Peachtree City
- 12 20, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this to set up a personal wi-fi with a password on a large public wi-fi, such a campus wi-fi?)
Can I use the Airport Express without the cable cord?
For example can I use it in a place that doesn't offer wifi and get wifi on my phone or computer?
- Asked by Julie W from Ankeny
- 05 13, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the Airport Express without the cable cord?)
I'm not sure what you mean by "optimal" but yes, it would work with DOCSIS 3.0. DOCSIS is a standard for delivering Data Over Cable. Connect the DOCSIS cable modem's Ethernet port to the WAN port of the AirPort Express. Plug the AirPort Express into power and use AirPort Utility to configure the device.
- Answered by Earl D from Rochester
- 04 25, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (docsis 3.0 compatability)
How long can you use this device for?
- Asked by Hailey O from New Paltz
- 02 17, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (How long can you use this device for?)
Airport express can share internet connection from wire to wireless?
Airport express can share internet line from wire (ethernet - input to airport express... WAN/LAN) to wireless (output from airport express)? Or just for extend the wireless connection? I want to know exactly, can airport express accept internet connection with wire (ethernet) and create wifi?
- Asked by L. R from Richmond
- 03 6, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (Airport express can share internet connection from wire to wireless?)
I had created a network with my airport extreme in one of the rooms in my house, but i want to have wifi signal in all my home.
I want to know if i can extend the wifi signal of that airport extreme with another airport extreme but instead of connecting it wirelessly can i connect it via ethernet?
- Asked by Pablo P from New York
- 06 30, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (I had created a network with my airport extreme in one of the rooms in my house, but i want to have wifi signal in all my home.)
You can use an Airport Express to extend your wifi network in your home. I use one for this purpose on a second level of my home to connect my Samsung Smart TV to the home wifi system and stream programming, Netflix etc.
- Answered by Carl L T from Raleigh
- 09 10, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I had created a network with my airport extreme in one of the rooms in my house, but i want to have wifi signal in all my home.)
This new airport express, isn't this what my Time Capsule already does and if different, how so? Thanks
New Air Port Express vs. Time CapsuleBest Answer:
If you have a modern time capsule that broadcasts simultaneous dual-band then you would have no need for an express unless you wish to extend your wireless network.
- Answered by Sean D from Tempe
- 06 13, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (This new airport express, isn't this what my Time Capsule already does and if different, how so? Thanks)