Questions & Answers for AirPort Express
709 Questions from the Community
Can the Airport express just die?
I woke up and my old airport express had no litghs lit up and I I lost my wifi connection, however my router is still working
- Asked by Alan G from South Yarmouth
- 03 17, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the Airport express just die?)
I have an older airport extreme, can it be hooked to comcast modem
I have connected my airport extreme to comcast modem, but light remains yellow. What do I need to do.
- Asked by Jerry J from Sugar Land
- 07 14, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (I have an older airport extreme, can it be hooked to comcast modem)
Negative. Apple's specs page informs me the USB port is printers only. For sharing a hard drive, you'd want to look at the AirPort Extreme instead.
- Answered by Paul D from Hamilton
- 06 13, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can the USB port be used for an external hard-drive that I could share over the network?)
I have a time capsule for my main Wifi network... can this base station be used to extend my wireless network or do I need something different?Best Answer:
You can use this an extender (in extender mode). You will just have to enable it.
If you have a wifi-enabled printer, you can have the printer in a separate room. Just add the wifi network on your printer and your printer will be recognized.
- Answered by Christopher W from Cincinnati
- 02 12, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does a wireless printer have to be connected to the AirPort express USB or can I have the printer in another room.)
can multiple printers be used over wifi with the airport express
I have a Brother Laser printer that is wireless 2270DW and an epson wireless printer that students are using in an dorm. I have set secure wireless network but need to know if these two printers can print wirelessly or do they need to be connected via printer cable to Airport Express to perform wireless printing? Last but not least you us a spliter on the USB outlet on the Airport express and hardwire the two printers via printer cables?
- Asked by Chris P from Sandy Springs
- 08 7, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (can multiple printers be used over wifi with the airport express)
Sure. All wireless (and wired) clients can access all wireless (and wired) resources on the LAN via this router.
- Answered by Scott J from San Jose
- 04 14, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can multiple printers be used over wifi with the airport express)
will it work for like xbox one / 360 and play station 3 / 4 ?
- Asked by Alexis F from Philadelphia
- 06 21, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (will it work for like xbox one / 360 and play station 3 / 4 ?)
Is this what is needed to connect to the internet with my MacBook Air via an ISP?
I have a MacBook Air with Airport Utility 6.3....
I want to connect to the internet when I move next week.
The ISP is called GreenLight in Wilson,NC which uses fiber optic cable.
Do I need to get only an Airport Express in order to connect using this service?
- Asked by Deborah C B from Raleigh
- 11 6, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this what is needed to connect to the internet with my MacBook Air via an ISP?)
You will need an Airport Express, which acts as a Router (a very good Router!)
and you will also need a modem to connect to Greenlight.
Fiber Optic is new, state of the art, and a cable tv modem or a telephone modem won't work; your easiest solution is to allow GreenLight to provide/rent a fiber optic modem to you.
(Everybody needs two boxes, whatever the system.)
Enjoy your fiber optic; I'm jealous!
- Answered by Patricia W from Oro Valley
- 11 10, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is this what is needed to connect to the internet with my MacBook Air via an ISP?)
Can I use this while I am traveling in Europe?
I am traveling to Italy and was wondering if the airport express works with their broadband and or dial up.
- Asked by Laura E from Coatesville
- 08 7, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this while I am traveling in Europe?)
Yes - but you may need an adapter to provide power.
- Answered by John B from Palm Harbor
- 09 27, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this while I am traveling in Europe?)
can i backup my macbook with the airport extreme
- Asked by Tamarik R from Oakland
- 06 3, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (can i backup my macbook with the airport extreme)
no. you'll need to buy a time capsule.
- Answered by Andrea V
- 08 3, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i backup my macbook with the airport extreme)
How do I use Airport express in a hotel that only has an ethernet connection and which needs me to log on to pay for the service.
Sometimes when I go to a hotel they only have an ethernet cabel and then you have to log on and pay for the internet service. Just to be clear ... if I plug the ethernet plug into the airport express does that stream the connection to my mac or ios device for me to log on and pay.Best Answer:
It is just plug and play. Simply set up the network name and a password to prevent you neighbours using your service and away you go. I have used this in many hotels around the world. Some hotels do however set the network up to prevent multiple devices connecting meaning that you can no longer connect an iPhone, iPad and mac to the same line without multiple device charges. Other than that this is excellent in my experience.
Depends on how much switching and or routing the device is handling. Running on averages, and at 123.5 vac average, It draws from .11 to .13 amps in "ready" condition. Once some traffic starts flowing, example, iPod playing on line game + media server streaming a movie to apple tv + iPhone watching a stream from netflix, one computer downloading updates. Average power draw 10 watts peaked at 12 watts. Average amps .15 to .3 amps. Hope this helps.
- Answered by Bill B from Red Oak
- 03 25, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Power Draw)
Does the LAN port allow me to extend my Time Capsule's network wirelessly?
- Asked by Derek M from Costa Mesa
- 06 12, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the LAN port allow me to extend my Time Capsule's network wirelessly?)
It can also function to extend existing wireless networks so yes.
- Answered by Carrington W from Saint Louis
- 06 13, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the LAN port allow me to extend my Time Capsule's network wirelessly?)
Technical network question: can I use the Express with my current Airport Extreme, as a repeater with printer connected?
I currently have an airport extreme, which is very good at getting range throughout my very long unit (about 30 meters.)
I have my TV, XBOX, PC down one end.. and my iMac is down the other end. I had the Extreme set up in the middle of the house. So it turns out, my xbox360 along with the NBA App wont give me HD unless its plugged in, even if the wireless Extreme unit is sitting 5 inches away from the XBOX360 (I tested this). Highlights work fine, but actual games - na.
So I though I would move the extreme in the room with the XBOX 360 etc in it..
Anyway, surprisingly, down the other end of the house, the iMac works on the internet fine! The iPhone 5 also works well.(checked with speediest and can confirm that the iphone lost less than 10% at the end of the house! impressive :-) ) BUT when I look at the iMac network connection, it says the transmit signal is only 27 down from around 217. The internet is fine, but youtube has taken a hit.
My dilemma then, is that I need the printer connected to a wireless device so everything including our laptops can print. I also would not mind extending the range back out for the iMac.
So I am considering the Express to put in the middle of the house.
1) If I have my modem plugged into the extreme, I assume I can use the express as an extender?
2) Can I plug the printer into the Extender, or in this case, the little express which will be used as an extender?
I sort of dont want the printer near the TV due to room issues, and would like to bring back the super quickness of the internet to the iMac.. Im not so fussed about the internet for the iMac, as its only YouTube which has taken a hit, everything else works great, which is amazing at such a long range. (almost 100 feet)
- Asked by Dennis K from Mosman
- 11 16, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Technical network question: can I use the Express with my current Airport Extreme, as a repeater with printer connected?)
will time capsule and airport express will extend my wifi? first generation time capsule and first generation airport express?
- Asked by Jose Jr. Q from Daly City
- 10 10, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (will time capsule and airport express will extend my wifi? first generation time capsule and first generation airport express?)
YES, airport express will extend your pre existing wi fi networks range! Not sure about time capsule though!
- Answered by Kevin B from Fallbrook
- 04 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will time capsule and airport express will extend my wifi? first generation time capsule and first generation airport express?)
There is no Airport EXPRESS MD031LL/A - it is an Airport EXTREME MD031LL/A. Airport Express MB321LL/A is the previous generation of the Airport Express.
- Answered by John B from Palm Harbor
- 09 27, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is the diference between Airport Express MD031LL/A and AirportExpressMB321 AM-A))