Questions & Answers for Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit
415 Questions from the Community
Can you use the Lightning adaptor with the 30 pin camera kit to import to iPad Air/iPhone 5s and if so how?
I have the 30 pin usb and sd connection kit. When I upgraded to an iPad Air and iPhone 5s, I purchased a lightning to 30 pin adaptor so I could still import photos directly to my iPad Air and IPhone. It doesn't work. Why?
I am disappointed as I was told that this would be a compatible option as opposed to purchasing a new lightning camera adaptor kit!
- Asked by Jenny D from Perth
- 11 8, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you use the Lightning adaptor with the 30 pin camera kit to import to iPad Air/iPhone 5s and if so how?)
I there a way to connect the iPad to TV via HDMI cable.
I have a mini display port to HDMI adapter cable that I use with my MAC Book Pro. Can this be used or is there a way to go from USB to HDMI that will connect to my TV?
- Asked by Kd B from Del Norte
- 02 18, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (I there a way to connect the iPad to TV via HDMI cable.)
yes. use the lightning Digital AV adapter or 30 Pin to HDMI adapter available from apple.
- Answered by Ryan T from Hamburg
- 10 27, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I there a way to connect the iPad to TV via HDMI cable.)
No, sorry, you cannot. The Camera Connection Kit is intended to load photos and videos from a camera for example onto your iPad.
- Answered by Arie V
- 02 26, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i use camera connection kit to connect a webcam to ipad 1 and use it for skype?)
Can you import PDF files via the IPAD SD card reader?
- Asked by Todd B from Old Bethpage
- 05 2, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you import PDF files via the IPAD SD card reader?)
I tried to do that but I got the message "the attached USB device is not supported.". Disappointing...
- Answered by Nick D. S from Sterling
- 05 7, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you import PDF files via the IPAD SD card reader?)
can you connect the ipad to a windows 7 pc
- Asked by Gina G
- 10 18, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (can you connect the ipad to a windows 7 pc)
Yes. I am running a windows 7 pc, and it works great! All you need is the simple connector that came with the iPad, and plug it into the USB port on your pc.
It just pops up ib iTunes and you can sync it there etc.
I have also found that though it says USB ports on your computer don't charge it, I plugged mine in at like 65% battery and when I came back it said 100%.
Hope that helps!
- Answered by Hunter F from Brentwood
- 12 3, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can you connect the ipad to a windows 7 pc)
To disagree with the first answer, no you can NOT import mp3 files straight to the ipad via SD card. The original answer meant to say MP4 files. They were confusing MP4 video files with MP3 audio files.
- Answered by Laura M from Norridge
- 04 20, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can the SD card inserted here be used to import mp3 files to the ipad?)
No this will not work because there isn't an application for such a task.
- Answered by Alex N from Memphis
- 06 4, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I connect a Garmin 60CSX gps to the iPad, using the USB connection kit and download the .gpx tracks?)
Will this work for connection to an external USB hard drive?
- Asked by Matthew H from Dupont
- 04 15, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work for connection to an external USB hard drive?)
It may; only if your hard drive is self-powered. Flash drives and portable hard drives will not work as it relies for the USB adapter for power. With no power coming from the USB adapter, you can't power your hard drive and thus not being able to use it.
AND when your hard drive does work, it can only draw images out from the hard drive and import them into your iPad. Unless Apple has released an update where you can use it as a secondary storage device, there is no way of using your hard drive other than importing images.
Third party apps may take advantage of the adapter but only if Apple has unlocked such capability.
- Answered by Kurt Rusheen T from Shaker Heights
- 04 16, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this work for connection to an external USB hard drive?)
I just tried the camera connection with a SDHC class10 card and it worked.
- Answered by Glen W
- 06 9, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this adapter support the SDHC format cards popular with DSLR cameras?)
will the card readers work for a compact flash card
can you download into the iPad using the camera kit a compact flash card?
- Asked by Paul A
- 05 3, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (will the card readers work for a compact flash card)
No. The card reader doesn't. However, you can use the usb into your camera with a compact flash slot, or a usb into another compact flash reader.
- Answered by Nathan L
- 05 29, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will the card readers work for a compact flash card)
Is connection kit iPad air compatible
Considering purchasing the apple iPad camera connection kit if it is compatible with my iPad air 32 GB WiFi tablet
- Asked by Kimberly R from Fort Jones
- 01 24, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Is connection kit iPad air compatible)
Only when you pair it with the lightning adapter. It gets a bit scary plugging in the adapter, then the camera kit card reader. It needs to be carefully supported when in use.
- Answered by Greg B from Templeton
- 02 17, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is connection kit iPad air compatible)
can ipad/ipad camera connection kit be a good alternative to using a laptop on photoshoots
im a photographer and im looking to buy an ipad and camera connection kit to take on location shoots as replacement to my laptop.
when i finish photographing i back up the images taking them off the camera and straight onto a laptop..from there i'll take the images onto my mac as soon as im back at my machine..
the files are raw files and very large - taken from canon mark 5d ii ........ what is data transfer speed like? on 4gb amount of data, is it compatible with raw files and any photographer out there using it on there photoshoots? -what do you think
I hasten to add that I won't have my ipad and connection kit for just under 2 weeks but as a fellow UK photographer here is how I'm thinking just now.
1) For a 5d I'm assuming you are using UDMA CF cards. That means to connect you will use a direct connection via the USB adapter.
2) It is known that USB headphone/microphone set can be successfully connected to the USB adapter, as can a USB keyboard.
3) It is known that the USB adapter won't recognise external drives, only cameras. It might be that all external drives tested were USB bus powered and it might work with an external powered drive, we'll have to see.
4) It is known that while you can copy images and videos from the SD card reader to the iPad, you can't copy them from the iPad to the SD card reader.
5) It is known that the iPad shows reasonable images with Canon and Nikon raw files but terrible images with Leica DNG files which hold much smaller previews. This indicates that the iPad is not really reading the raw file but the jpeg previews inside the file package. Leica users are getting round that issue by shooting DNG+Jpeg and then the iPad works on the jpeg instead of the DNG file.
As such, right now, I think the answer is that you will still need the laptop for in-field editing unless you restrict your workflow to jpegs. However I'd expect that the demand for a fully raw capable iPad app will be high from photographers and if it doesn't appear in the form of an app with this itteration of the iPad, I'd think it will with a more powerfull 2nd generation iPad.
- Answered by William Noel H
- 05 18, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can ipad/ipad camera connection kit be a good alternative to using a laptop on photoshoots)
How well does this work with the canon 5d 21mpix camera ?
Does iPad handle the very large 21 mpix images from the canon 5d well ? Also can I view them on the iPad and eventually copy the raw images to my Mac .. This is RAW images not jpeg ....
- Asked by David P from Austin
- 04 24, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (How well does this work with the canon 5d 21mpix camera ?)
I have a 7D, but I believe my answer still applies (18vs 21 megapixels is close in size)
What it does:
-The iPad imports RAW, RAW+Jpeg, and Jpeg files just fine.
- It displays high res thumbnails of the images for viewing on the iPad
- It pops up like a USB drive while plugged in to a computer to retrieve the imported files.
- It groups together RAW+ Jpeg files into one stacked file so you don't have to swipe through duplicates of the same image.
What it doesn't do:
- Display full 100% res on the iPad screen. On zooming in the picture will eventually get fuzzy.
- I believe the resolution of the preview on the iPad screen of imported images is capped. You can zoom in and I believe this resolution is higher than the iPads screen, but it it definitely not close to the 5000px+ image sizes of the 5D and 7D.
-I believe the preview looks slightly higher res by shooting Raw + small Jpeg, as I believe the Thumbnail that the iPad is reading for the RAW image is much lower res than the small jpeg's resolution.
- Answered by Alan C from Venice
- 04 29, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How well does this work with the canon 5d 21mpix camera ?)
will this connector work with Canon EOS 5D Mk2 and 1D Mk4?
- Asked by Pious H from Flushing
- 04 30, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (will this connector work with Canon EOS 5D Mk2 and 1D Mk4?)
Yes it will! Since the MK2 has a USB cable (same with the MK4), you can plug it into the adapter. The iPad should recognize it.
- Answered by Sachin G from Kalamazoo
- 06 5, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will this connector work with Canon EOS 5D Mk2 and 1D Mk4?)
Can I transfer photos from my MAC to the ipad?
- Asked by Richard M from Bala Cynwyd
- 02 1, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I transfer photos from my MAC to the ipad?)
It should. Card readers work the same as importing through a camera. It's only sending information out from the card and into the iPad. As long as the card reader is self-powered; that is: not relying on the USB adapter for power.
- Answered by Kurt Rusheen T from Shaker Heights
- 04 16, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (If I have an xD card for Olympus (not SD), will the USB adapter work with an xD card reader?)
Will the Ipad camera connection kit work with a SONY dsc HX1
- Asked by Amparo B from Medellin
- 11 14, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the Ipad camera connection kit work with a SONY dsc HX1)