Questions & Answers for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
1882 Questions from the Community
No, when you upgrade to Snow Leopard, all your old Applications, Documents, Settings, and everything else you can think of, will be left intact on your Mac!
- Answered by Ryan T from Mundesley
- 11 18, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (do i need to backup everything before i upgrade to snow leopard from leopard?)
What kind of problems will I encounter upgrading from 10.6.8? Will my MS Office:mac 2008 still work? How about my timemachine?
I bought my MacBook Pro to replace a company mac that I continued to do sales work for on commission. I stopped doing so after being hired by a competitor. The problem is I partitioned the hard drive for "work" and personal use. I lost the password for administrator for the "work" side years ago and the personal side is full. We bought a new Brother printer that was wifi and bluetooth functional, but on trying to set it up with the laptop, it informed me that I need to update the operating system. To make matters worse, during a recent remodel the power cord to my WD 1T hard drive I had used for time machine got lost and I can't seem to get a Toshiba 1T I bought on a sailing cruise to save pictures with, was configured as a windows unit and I have to use the NTFI? interface to access it, but it won't run Time machine. So now I'm not sure what to think, I would really like to run time machine and back up the computer before updating, and I'm concerned that all my apps won't function with the new op system.
Another FYI'er stuck
- Asked by Stephen H from Avon
- 01 23, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (What kind of problems will I encounter upgrading from 10.6.8? Will my MS Office:mac 2008 still work? How about my timemachine?)
what is the best system for a mac book - icebox?
looking to reinstall a mac ice book
what is there best system to put on it
- Asked by Pete D from Wallsend
- 12 10, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (what is the best system for a mac book - icebox?)
I have a Mac OS X 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, can I upgrade to Snow Leopard and then Lion?
- Asked by Huascar M from Port Saint Lucie
- 06 20, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a Mac OS X 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, can I upgrade to Snow Leopard and then Lion?)
Yes to Snow Leopard.
But for Lion you will need to increase your memory to at least 2gb.
Once Snow Leopard is installed and updated to OS 10.6.8, and you have at least 2GB of memory, then you can upgrade to Lion.
You don't say which Mac OS X you are currently running. If it is 10.6, then you already have Snow Leopard. (Lion is 10.7).
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 06 20, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have a Mac OS X 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, can I upgrade to Snow Leopard and then Lion?)
Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) requires an Intel processor and at least 1GB of memory. (Note: the installer will not work on PowerPC Macs, or on most recent Macs introduced after Lion (OS 10.7) was released.).
The MacBookPro has an Intel processor so if you have at least 1GB of memory (2GB or more is better) you are good to go.
Purchase the Snow Leopard Disk. Then proceed with installation.
You could upgrade directly over OS 10.4, but I would recommend doing the following.
1) Using Disk Utility from the Snow Leopard disk, create a new partition formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journalled). (Alternatively, use an external drive and use Disk Utility to RESTORE your OS 10.4 partition to the external drive. This is a clone. Make sure you can start up from the external drive after the restore. Then format your internal partition to Mac OS Extended (Journalled).) [Note: to get to Disk Utility on the Snow Leopard disk, open the installer (if not already open), click on Utilities and Restart. Disk Utilities is under the Utilities menu after restart.]
2) Install Snow Leopard on the blank formatted partition. During install, the installer will search your Mac for any partitions with an OS on it, and then ask if you want to import OS settings, apps and/or files. Do the import to move your OS settings, apps and files to the Snow Leopard partition. If you decide to not import, you will have a "clean install" of Snow Leopard instead.
3) After installation and startup in Snow Leopard, go to Apple menu and do Software Update. This will bring you up to OS 10.6.8.
You will now have a dual boot Mac and can start up from either OS 10.4 or OS 10.6. When I upgraded from OS 10.4.11 to OS 10.6, some of my printer and scanner drivers did not work in OS 10.6 until I could find suitable drivers. In the meantime, I could still start up from OS 10.4 to print or scan.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 05 3, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I am running OS X 10.4 on my MacBook Pro and want to upgrade to OS X 10.6.2 or later. How can I do this?)
Macbook running OS X 10.5.8. I don't have the original setup disks. I'd like the 29.99 snow leopard disk to let me do a clean wipe/install. Possible?
- Asked by Brian R from Virginia Beach
- 02 19, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Macbook running OS X 10.5.8. I don't have the original setup disks. I'd like the 29.99 snow leopard disk to let me do a clean wipe/install. Possible?)
Can i install osx 10.6 or higher on my ipad pro
- Asked by Catherine C from Massapequa Park
- 11 3, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i install osx 10.6 or higher on my ipad pro)
Can I download the upgrade from 10.5.8 to snow leopard?
I do not currently live in the US and want to upgrade my iMac without the hassle of shipping.
- Asked by Marc P from Hoover
- 12 24, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I download the upgrade from 10.5.8 to snow leopard?)
No, you will have to use a CD.
- Answered by Sally M from Saint Louis
- 04 8, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I download the upgrade from 10.5.8 to snow leopard?)
Cannot open FireFox as of today. If I download 10.6 will it work again. I uninstalled/downloaded 3 times, plus Norton Virus Scan, still does not work
I have Version 10.4.11.Best Answer:
Firefox requires 10.5 or newer. If you get 10.6, it will work again. make sure you have a computer newer than 2007 to install Snow Leopard onto.
- Answered by Michael M from Pleasanton
- 02 23, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Cannot open FireFox as of today. If I download 10.6 will it work again. I uninstalled/downloaded 3 times, plus Norton Virus Scan, still does not work)
i have mac os x 10.5.8 do i need to update to get the app store on ?
- Asked by Mark H from Point Cook
- 01 16, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (i have mac os x 10.5.8 do i need to update to get the app store on ?)
Yes you do. Snow Leopard is need for App Store.
- Answered by Koeun S from Nashville
- 01 18, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (i have mac os x 10.5.8 do i need to update to get the app store on ?)
What the difference between Snow leopard and Mountain Lion?
What's the different features between the two? Are there any apps I cant download or anything i cant do with snow leopard that i can do with mountain lion
- Asked by Efrain V from Federal Way
- 11 9, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (What the difference between Snow leopard and Mountain Lion?)
Depends on what you use your Mac for.
Look through your software and see if your software is compatible with Mountain Lion, or if software has relatively inexpensive upgrades to make it compatible. Check your printer and scanner software to see if drivers are available for Mountain Lion.
When I upgrade to a new OS, I do so on a blank, separate hard drive partition. During the installation of the upgrade, the installer will search your Mac for partitions with older OS. If it finds it will ask if you want to import OS settings, applications and/or data from a partition with older OS. The advantage of installing on another partition is that you can then have a multi-boot Mac, and can start in Snow Leopard instead of Mountain Lion by pressing the OPTION key during start-up to switch OS partitions in order to work with any software or drivers that are not compatible with Mountain Lion.
I have an expensive scanner with software that is very costly to upgrade in order to be compatible with Mountain Lion. So I keep Snow Leopard on a partition of my hard drive for purpose of doing scans.
Microsoft Office 2004 will work in Snow Leopard but not in Mountain Lion. You need to upgrade to Office 2011.
The latest versions of any software may not be fully compatible or may not work at all with Snow Leopard.
Snow Leopard provided "rosetta" support in order to run software written for old non-Intel Macs. Rosetta support is no longer provided with Mountain Lion.
Latest version of iTunes requires at least Mountain Lion (OS10.8.5). Do you need to sync with an iPhone? If so, which version of iTunes do you need to work with the iOS in the iPhone? Latest version of iTunes (12.3.1) will not work with Garageband 6.0.5 (from 2012). One needs to run iTunes 12.1.2 or earlier, or upgrade to more recent version of Garageband.
And so it goes . . .
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouver
- 11 10, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What the difference between Snow leopard and Mountain Lion?)
Will upgrading to snow leopard from leopard have any affect on those of us running vmware fusion? I am using an iMac.
snow leopard and vmware fusion
- Asked by Shelley M from Shasta
- 04 23, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Will upgrading to snow leopard from leopard have any affect on those of us running vmware fusion? I am using an iMac.)
No, it does not. I have VMWare Fusion and Paralells Desktop. it only upgrades its native apps and programes, nothing else. (that i know of) All 32 bit apps can run on a 64Bit OS.
- Answered by Andrew R from Bartlett
- 04 24, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will upgrading to snow leopard from leopard have any affect on those of us running vmware fusion? I am using an iMac.)
The license only allows Snow Leopard to be used on an Apple-branded computer. There may be Mac Emulators for the PC, but if you run Snow Leopard on a non-Apple-branded computer, you have no support and will be breaking the license agreement.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 07 4, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will it work on Windows?)
can a mac run all pc soft ware are do you have to buy window application?
trying to decide to buy a mac or pc
- Asked by Paula M from Lake Charles
- 11 24, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (can a mac run all pc soft ware are do you have to buy window application?)
if you use boot camp to partition part of your hard drive for the windows operating system than you can.
- Answered by Jacob L from Bel Air
- 08 25, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can a mac run all pc soft ware are do you have to buy window application?)
I have a Mac OSX 10.5.8 with a 2.66GHZ processor and 4GB Memory that I need to get upgraded without paying an extreme amount? How can I update it?Answer
I assume you have an Intel-based Mac, which is needed for OS 10.6 or higher.
To upgrade to Snow Leopard . . . Go to online Apple Store and order the Snow Leopard DVD for approximately US$20. (Much, much less than the $120+ that OS 10.5 was when it was sold.)
Once Snow Leopard is installed, and has been updated to OS 10.6.8, you can use the included App Store App to download and upgrade directly to the most recent OS 10.11 (El Capitan) (provided your Mac is supported by El Capitan).
You can upgrade directly from OS 10.6.8 to any later OS X (provided your Mac is supported by the OS desired).
OS 10.7 and OS 10.8 can be obtained for about $20 each by purchasing a redemption code from the online Apple Store and then using the App Store app to download and install.
Unfortunately, OS 10.9 and OS 10.10 were free but are no longer available, but any Mac that is supported by either of those OS versions is also capable of running OS 10.11 which is also free.
You need Snow Leopard to get the Mac App Store, which is how all later versions are delivered.
- Answered by Robert T from Chatham
- 01 22, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (what do I update my Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 to can I by pass snow leopard and go to higher versions)
can i update my 2009 mac to run the latest version on lightroom
- Asked by Hannah P from Hamilton
- 10 5, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (can i update my 2009 mac to run the latest version on lightroom)
can i purchase both snow leopard and lion software on the apple store? or do i have to purchase in the apple store?
- Asked by Amanda S from Aliso Viejo
- 03 19, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (can i purchase both snow leopard and lion software on the apple store? or do i have to purchase in the apple store?)
Snow Leopard is a disc.$20 You can buy it here in the Apple online store and have it shipped to your home. It arrives pretty quickly. Snow Leopard was the last OS on disc. From there everything newer can be purchased at Apple online and downloaded. If you are running an earlier OS you will need to purchase the Snow Leopard disc and install it and then run Software Update to get the updates for that. Then you can go directly to Mountain Lion if you want to skip Lion and just purchase Mountain Lion as a download at the Apple Store online. Each new OS is $20 online. If you are running Snow Leopard (10.6.x), update to the latest version of OS X Snow Leopard before you purchase OS X Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store. Click the Apple icon on your computer and choose Software Update to install Snow Leopard v10.6.8, the latest version. If you’re running OS X Leopard and would like to upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion, first you’ll need to upgrade to OS X Snow Leopard. If you are running Lion (10.7.x), you’re ready to update to Mountain Lion.
Hope this helps.
- Answered by Mark D from Encino
- 03 24, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i purchase both snow leopard and lion software on the apple store? or do i have to purchase in the apple store?)