Questions & Answers for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
1884 Questions from the Community
How can i determine what operating system i have
- Asked by Peg W from Eden Prairie
- 02 1, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (How can i determine what operating system i have)
Click the Apple Logo in your menu bar located in the far left corner. From there choose "About this Mac".
Your Operating System version should appear under the Apple Logo and Mac OS X. (Ex. Version 10.5.8)
- Answered by Brandon S from Anna
- 02 4, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How can i determine what operating system i have)
The development tools are provided on the DVD that shipped with your Mac, but they are quickly obsolete.
To obtain the latest developer tools software XCode, please go to: developer.apple.com
Here you will find a link to the iPhone dev center and the Mac dev center. Both locations will have downloads that allow you to develop on either platform.
- Answered by Matthew Y from Iowa City
- 06 13, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is development tools installed in the mac?)
can I sync a new ipd mini4 with my imac OS X 10.6.8
- Asked by David K from Elma
- 01 14, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (can I sync a new ipd mini4 with my imac OS X 10.6.8)
It does not. The latest you can upgrade too is just Leopard
- Answered by Will V from Glendora
- 10 22, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does this operating system upgrade work with the imac g5 that meets all the specifacations?)
No. You must have an Intel-based Mac.
Snow Leopard requirements: 1) Intel-based Mac, 2) 1 GB Ram, 3) 5 GB available disk space, 4) DVD drive.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouver
- 12 8, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i upgrade my powerbook G4 with snow leopard)
Will Snow Leopard bought in this manner install on a completely blank hard drive or do i need to be running a previous version of OS X?Best Answer:
Any version of Snow Leopard will install on a completely blank hard drive.
All Snow Leopard disks can do a "Clean Install". But with the $29 disk you need to follow some extra steps, since "Erase and Install" is not part of the automatic installation... but the tools to do so are provided on the DVD.
Basically, when you put the Snow Leopard DVD into your Mac, you will be presented with two options: 1) to "Continue" with a standard upgrade, or, 2) go to "Utilities". Select the "Utilities" button (there will be a reboot in order to run from the DVD). In the new screen that appears, under the "Utilities" menu, select Disk Utilities to format your new hard drive. When you have finished formatting, QUIT from Disk Utilities, and the installer will then complete the installation of Snow Leopard. (Note: be prepared to wait several minutes when the system reboots during installation as it copies and sets up all the files. Also, if you have another partition with an older OS on it, at some point during the installation, the installer will ask if you want to import the OS Settings, Files and/or Applications from that partition.)
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 10 29, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will Snow Leopard bought in this manner install on a completely blank hard drive or do i need to be running a previous version of OS X?)
I have a MacBook Pro (bought in 2009) on version 10.5.8 I have 4BG of memory. But I need 5GB for Snow Leopard. Is possible for me to get Snow Leopard?
I have a OS X MacBook Pro bought in 2009(Wich comes with 4GB or memory). It is on version 10.5.8. But to download Snow Leopard I need to have 5GB of memory. Is it still possible for me to obtain Snow Leopard on this mac?Answer
'5GB for Snow leopard' refers to hard drive space needed. The 4GB your Macbook Pro came with refers to its available RAM (live) memory. Snow Leopard only requires 1GB of RAM.
upgrade will reinstall the Image Capture?
I have Mac OS X 10.5.8 and I accidently deleted Image Capture. I don't have the install dvd with me anymore. Can I use this disk to reinstall Image Capture and also upgrade to Snow Leopard?
- Asked by Yue X from Houston
- 09 17, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (upgrade will reinstall the Image Capture?)
The minimum system requirement for 10.6 Snow Leopard is 1 GB of memory. However, I would consider upgrading to at least 2 GB of memory if you plan to use memory-intesive applications like iMovie or intend to consistently run multiple applications simultaneously. You will notice significant system-wide performance increases if you upgrade both the memory and the operating system.
- Answered by Zachary F from Austin
- 05 25, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can Snow function with only 1 GB of memory or do I need to purchase more for my 2007 MacBook?)
Snow Leopard must have an Intel-based Mac. It will not work with a PowerPC-based Mac.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 05 31, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will Snow Leopard work on my Dual 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 PowerMac with 768 MB DDR SDRAM?)
How do i tell what operating system I have?
- Asked by Katherine M from Santa Fe
- 12 26, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (How do i tell what operating system I have?)
do I need snow leopard to sync my iphone 5 to my macbook os x which I bought in 2009?
It won't let me sync my new iphone without the 10.6 version software.
- Asked by Shakira D from Melbourne
- 03 5, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (do I need snow leopard to sync my iphone 5 to my macbook os x which I bought in 2009?)
Yes. I had to install it on my MacBook I bought in '09
- Answered by Chris S from Phoenix
- 08 2, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (do I need snow leopard to sync my iphone 5 to my macbook os x which I bought in 2009?)
what is the most current mac OS i can install and run on my iMac 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo with 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM? i bought it dec 2008.
- Asked by Audrey D from Fort Lauderdale
- 05 15, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (what is the most current mac OS i can install and run on my iMac 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo with 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM? i bought it dec 2008.)