Questions & Answers for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
1885 Questions from the Community
I have an old iMac G3 that I did many hardware updates in. How do I go about getting Snow Leopard now that it has the capabilities to run it?
This is what my system now has:
Intel Core2 Duo processor
Intel Mini ATX mobo
250 GB Sata HDD
4 GB DDR2 RAM
GeForce GT (smallest card i could find)Answer
It's not going to work. You need the actual Apple logic board and parts, not just the case.
- Answered by Cathy W from Milford
- 03 22, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have an old iMac G3 that I did many hardware updates in. How do I go about getting Snow Leopard now that it has the capabilities to run it?)
If I have the version of 10.5.8 and want to upgrade to Yosemite, do I need to upgrade to snow leopard, lion first? Am I able to do that from online?
I have this Mac from 2009 and the version is 10.5.8 and I am able to do some of the things from other company like Avery label templates. Do I need to upgrade all the way to Yosemite? Do I need to upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion to Mountain Lion to Mavericks then Yosemite? Do I really need to go to store to get Snow Leopard or purchase and wait? or I can purchase online and download straight from online? Thanks.
- Asked by Leslie M from Foster City
- 12 5, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (If I have the version of 10.5.8 and want to upgrade to Yosemite, do I need to upgrade to snow leopard, lion first? Am I able to do that from online?)
As far as I know the only legal way to get Snow Leopard is to buy the DVD. After installing Snow Leopard you need to repeatedly select Software Update from the Apple menu until there are no more updates available. At that point you'll be able to get Yosemite from the Mac App Store.
Without an updated version of Snow Leopard installed, you won't have the Mac App Store and you won't be able to install any later version of OS X. What you don't have to do is install every version in between - you can go directly from Snow Leopard to Yosemite (if your Mac is supported).
do i need to back up before installing the mac osx10.6 version?
- Asked by Amina A from Colonial Heights
- 03 15, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (do i need to back up before installing the mac osx10.6 version?)
Advisable, as with all updates.
- Answered by David H
- 03 25, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (do i need to back up before installing the mac osx10.6 version?)
Hi i have just deleted windows of my pc as i wan to use the apples software. Can i install apples software to use as i was using windows on pc.
No answers yet
Snow Leopard only requires that the Mac be Intel-based (which your MacBook is) and that it has at least 1GB of memory.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 11 22, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does snow leopard work on Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.1 13" (White-08)?)
my imac is mac osx version 10.5.7 if i upgrade to snow leopard do i lose evrything that is installed already etc. microsoft and other stuff.
ihave the version 10.5.7 and i want to upgrade it to snow leopard. i want to know do i lose everything that i have installed already like microsoft programmes and other instalations.
No answers yet
is snow leopard compatible with epson cx7400 printer
- Asked by Michael B from Bensalem
- 03 15, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (is snow leopard compatible with epson cx7400 printer)
do i need a graphic card for snow leopard
my computer was xp when i bought it windows being the people that they are didnt include a graphic card in the xp os and when i reinstalled xp on the computer all the icons and the taskbar was very large so i was wondering if snow leopard does the same without a card
- Asked by Zack W from Garner
- 01 17, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (do i need a graphic card for snow leopard)
For OS Snow Leopard you will need an Intel-based Apple Mac Computer capable of running OS 10.4 or 10.5. The Snow Leopard installation DVD will have the drivers needed for all compatible Mac computer graphics cards and computer components. This reminds me that software is just as important as hardware. Windows installation disks will only contain basic graphics card drivers.
- Answered by Samuel R
- 01 19, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (do i need a graphic card for snow leopard)
My Mac have an OS 10.4.11 of course the Snow Leopard is better and does it the SL supports the Blackberry Desktop Applications
- Asked by Alfonso L from Hialeah
- 11 7, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (My Mac have an OS 10.4.11 of course the Snow Leopard is better and does it the SL supports the Blackberry Desktop Applications)
what are the changes to the multitouch gestures?
i'm using 10.5.8
my trouble with multitouch is when scrolling vertical in a spreadsheet (openoffice) it has an undesirable lateral scroll.
is there a way to turn off the two finger lateral scroll just for openoffice?
can i change the rate of lateral scroll globally?
I would also like to eliminate the pinch zoom in/out in the spreadsheet as it drives me crazy.
does any of this work different in 10.6?
are there any 3rd party solutions that work with 10.5.8 or 10.6?
thank u sooooo much! this would make my mac experience so much better!
- Asked by My F
- 04 7, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (what are the changes to the multitouch gestures?)
In Snow Leopard, every multi-touch gesture has the checkbox for you to turn it off. You also can get, for Snow Leopard only, Bettertouchtool and/or Jitouch.
- Answered by Matthew M from Pleasanton
- 03 24, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (what are the changes to the multitouch gestures?)
Snow Leopard Order to Greece
How can i Buy Snow Leopard From Greece?
- Asked by Jason J from These
- 01 21, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Snow Leopard Order to Greece)
For Europe, call Apple's telesales at 1800 92 38 98 for advice.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 01 22, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Snow Leopard Order to Greece)
can i upgrade to leopard 10.5 without having to purchase mac box set
I am currently running 10.4.11 on my intel imac. i would like to upgrade to leopard but i have no use for purchasing i'life etc (mac box set). Is there any other option to do this?
- Asked by Kristopher C
- 10 23, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (can i upgrade to leopard 10.5 without having to purchase mac box set)
If you can find a copy of Leopard in a store, then no you do not have to purchase the Mac Box Set. The Mac Box Set is made for those who want "all the goodies" when they install Leopard. Leopard can be bought by itself.
- Answered by Jerry P from Fayetteville
- 11 5, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i upgrade to leopard 10.5 without having to purchase mac box set)
Updating OS from Tiger to Snow Leopard. When I update using the disc, will my present files save into the new OS (ITunes, IPhoto, videos?
Will my present files automatically carryover into the new OS?
Should I back them up onto disc or external hard drive?
Have a Mac with Intel Core 2 DuoBest Answer:
When I moved from Tiger (10.4.11) to Snow Leopard, I installed Snow Leopard to a separate empty partition from Tiger. I wanted to play safe, since I heard that Snow Leopard needs to update the formatting on the partition it is installed to. This also preserved all my data on the Tiger partition in case there was a power outage that interrupted the installation of Snow Leopard.
During install, the Snow Leopard installer asked if I wanted to import OS settings, files and/or applications from the Tiger partition. I said yes to all and ended up with everything copied over and ready to use on the Snow Leopard partition. The only difficulty was that I have some old printers and a scanner that do not have drivers specific for Snow Leopard. It took several weeks to figure out how to use these printers and scanner in Snow Leopard, so until I could, it was good to have the option to start up from the Tiger partition if I needed to use the scanner or a printer. (Simply press the Option key during Start Up to switch to Tiger, or use the Start Up Disk utility in System Preferences.)
Another suggestion: if you have an external drive partition with no data, use Disk Utility to "RESTORE" your Tiger partition to that partition on the external drive. This will be a clone. Make sure you can Start Up from the external partition. Then install Snow Leopard over your internal Tiger partition. Afterwards, you can Start Up from Tiger on the external hard drive if you need it for some reason.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 03 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Updating OS from Tiger to Snow Leopard. When I update using the disc, will my present files save into the new OS (ITunes, IPhoto, videos?)
I bought a macbook pro with tiger 2.16 GHZ intel core due processor is it possible to upgrade to snow first without upgrading to just leopard?
- Asked by Alexander A from Northport
- 11 16, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (I bought a macbook pro with tiger 2.16 GHZ intel core due processor is it possible to upgrade to snow first without upgrading to just leopard?)
I have a Mac OS X version 10.5.8- Processor 2.66ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 Memory gb 800 mhz. Need a 10.6 to update it. Is OK SnowLeopard MacOSX10.6?Answer
Snow Leopard (which is same as Mac OS 10.6) will install on this Mac. Snow Leopard simply requires a Mac with Intel processor and 1GB of memory.
(FYI: Snow Leopard may not install on Macs released in 2011 and later, but your Mac is definitely older if running OS 10.5.8 and has Intel Core 2 Duo processor. Snow Leopard will likely run on newer Macs, but will not install on these Macs.)
How do i upgrade to Snow leopard on my MacBook Air?
I dont have a DVD drive, but would really like to upgrade.
- Asked by Brittany P from Hampton
- 10 25, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (How do i upgrade to Snow leopard on my MacBook Air?)
I upgraded my iMac running on wireless and is working fine. Didn't have to update settings or change anything.
- Answered by David M from Gretna
- 10 17, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (i hear upgrading to snow leopard distrups up your wireless settings, is any one experencing anything like that?)