Questions & Answers for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
1882 Questions from the Community
I have a Mac OS X version 10.5.8- Processor 2.66ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 Memory gb 800 mhz. Need a 10.6 to update it. Is OK SnowLeopard MacOSX10.6?Answer
Snow Leopard (which is same as Mac OS 10.6) will install on this Mac. Snow Leopard simply requires a Mac with Intel processor and 1GB of memory.
(FYI: Snow Leopard may not install on Macs released in 2011 and later, but your Mac is definitely older if running OS 10.5.8 and has Intel Core 2 Duo processor. Snow Leopard will likely run on newer Macs, but will not install on these Macs.)
How do i upgrade to Snow leopard on my MacBook Air?
I dont have a DVD drive, but would really like to upgrade.
- Asked by Brittany P from Hampton
- 10 25, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (How do i upgrade to Snow leopard on my MacBook Air?)
I upgraded my iMac running on wireless and is working fine. Didn't have to update settings or change anything.
- Answered by David M from Gretna
- 10 17, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (i hear upgrading to snow leopard distrups up your wireless settings, is any one experencing anything like that?)
will FreeHand MX work with Snow Leopard?
I'm currently running OS 10.4.11.
I have a lot of work done in Freehand MX, I know I will have to convert to Illustrator but this is a lot of work. Can I make FreeHand Work with Snow Leopard?
- Asked by Vicky S
- 11 4, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (will FreeHand MX work with Snow Leopard?)
can I design a floorplan with this software?
how can I design a floorplan with a MAC?
- Asked by Katrina B from Denver
- 01 30, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (can I design a floorplan with this software?)
Can I install10.6 to a clean drive...
Im running 10.5 on my main drive on a Mac Pro. I dont want to changeanything.
However, I need 10.6 to run Bootcamp and 3DS Max. Id like to set this up on a fresh disk and not change my primary disk. Is the 'update disk' able to do this....
- Asked by Glenn T from Richmond
- 12 31, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I install10.6 to a clean drive...)
Hi, could anyone advise me:
I've just bought the Magic Trackpad. According to the Quick Start guide, it advised the user to update the Mac OS X to version 10.6.4. I do not know whether it is the right upgrade to buy Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.
- Asked by Dominic C
- 08 7, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (magic trackpad)
Click the logo in top Left of screen, Click "About this Mac" Under MAC OS X it will say "Version 10.5.8 or 10.6.* if you have 10.5.* you need to upgrade to Snow Leopard which is 10.6.0
10.5.* is known as "Leopard"
If you have a Intel Dual Core processor or Higher, you should Upgrade to Lion 10.7
But I think in doing so you'll need to be at 10.6.8 in order to do so... I'm not a 100% sure if this is true… but I think it is. (You download Lion from the Mac App Store) icon is installed to your DOCK once you reach 10.6.7 i believe. maybe 10.6.6
- Answered by Harlan S from Springfield
- 08 21, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (magic trackpad)
I have an I mac-intel chip, running leopard. Is the up grade easy to install or should I bring into an Appple store?
- Asked by Nicholas Y from Orangeburg
- 10 13, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (I have an I mac-intel chip, running leopard. Is the up grade easy to install or should I bring into an Appple store?)
I have a Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 Processor 2.4. GHz Core 2 duo and 2GB memory and I was wondering if I need or should get Snow Leopard ?Best Answer:
You can get Snow Leopard and you should since Leopard will be dropped from support a few weeks after Lion comes out this summer.
- Answered by Matthew M from Pleasanton
- 03 4, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have a Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 Processor 2.4. GHz Core 2 duo and 2GB memory and I was wondering if I need or should get Snow Leopard ?)
wish to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard
Is that possible?
If so how do I go about it ?
- Asked by Sydney C from Toronto
- 11 1, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (wish to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard)
Can i download individual for my utilities
I'm missing 3 apps from my utilities (terminal, X11, & Colorsync) is it possible to download them individually?
- Asked by Amanda P from Tuttle
- 03 26, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i download individual for my utilities)
you should find your original apple os x disc and perform an "archive and install" (if you're running tiger or leopard - not snow leopard) and that will leave your data intact and just re-install the apple os x along with the apple software you are currently missing. It seems your current OS X has not been installed correctly.
- Answered by Michael K from Perkinsfield
- 04 2, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can i download individual for my utilities)
I have a black mac book OSX 10.4.1 tiger can I buy the box set for OSX 10.6 snow leopard and instal smoothy or is there going to be problems?
My black mac book has a core 2 duo @ 2.16Gz and my RAM is 2GB DDR2 This is my first mac and I really need help I don't know if i need to go to the apple store to do this or if i can just buy and install.Answer
You can install Snow Leopard, and you do not need the Box Set unless you want the extra applications. If you want to keep your current files, applications and OS settings, I would first recommend cloning your current hard drive to a separate bootable partition or a temporary bootable external hard drive. Snow Leopard likes to have the hard drive partition it installs to, formatted in a certain way, and to do this, a clean install is recommended. The cloned back up also lets you jump back and boot from your old OS if you need to after Snow Leopard is installed (especially useful if a printer driver is not updated during the Snow Leopard installation). Simply press OPTION during start up to switch to old OS.
All Snow Leopard disks can do a "Clean Install". But with the $29 disk you need to follow some extra steps, since "Erase and Install" is not part of the automatic installation... but the tools to do so are provided on the DVD.
Basically, when you put the Snow Leopard DVD into your Mac, you will be presented with two options: 1) to "Continue" with a standard upgrade, or, 2) go to "Utilities". Select the "Utilities" button (there will be a reboot in order to run from the DVD). In the new screen that appears, under the "Utilities" menu, select Disk Utilities to format your new hard drive. When you have finished formatting, QUIT from Disk Utilities, and the installer will then complete the installation of Snow Leopard.
(Note: be prepared to wait several minutes when the system reboots during installation as it copies and sets up all the files. Also, if you have another partition with an older OS on it, at some point during the installation, the installer will ask if you want to import the OS Settings, Files and/or Applications from that partition. Do this for a very smooth transition. The only issues I had was I needed to find updated drivers for my old printers and scanner. All my OS 10.4 apps worked in Snow Leopard.)
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 10 29, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have a black mac book OSX 10.4.1 tiger can I buy the box set for OSX 10.6 snow leopard and instal smoothy or is there going to be problems?)
How can I buy Snow Leopard Server in the UK? Is it available to purchase online or do I have to phone in.
I want to be able to legally run SL in an emulator.
- Asked by David L from Corse
- 11 12, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (How can I buy Snow Leopard Server in the UK? Is it available to purchase online or do I have to phone in.)
I. Have a 5.1.1 version can I update to 6.0 or higher
- Asked by Amberly W from Hinkley
- 06 21, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (I. Have a 5.1.1 version can I update to 6.0 or higher)
I am purchasing a used macbook pro 15 with OS X 10.6.8 and the seller does not have the original media dic.
Is this disc (Snow Leopard) the only thing I will need to do a clean factory reset?
- Asked by S Wade C from Happy Valley
- 12 19, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (I am purchasing a used macbook pro 15 with OS X 10.6.8 and the seller does not have the original media dic.)
The Snow Leopard install disk will do a clean install. Use Disk Utility on the install disk to erase your hard drive, and then install Snow Leopard from the install disk. After installing, go to Apple Menu and select "Software Update" to update to OS 10.6.8. (Note: to Start Up from the install disk, hold "C" key when the Mac chimes on start up.)
Another Note: I recommend backing up the hard drive, or at least saving Apple apps such as any iLife or iWorks programs (Garageband, iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD, etc) before erasing the hard drive. The Snow Leopard install disk only installs the OS, it does not provide those apps that may have come with the MacBook Pro when it was new. Otherwise, you will have to search for old versions compatible with Snow Leopard.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 12 19, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I am purchasing a used macbook pro 15 with OS X 10.6.8 and the seller does not have the original media dic.)
Can I download Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on two other macbooks using single user?
Am wondering because I'm intending to download it into two different macbooks.
- Asked by Bader A
- 03 20, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I download Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on two other macbooks using single user?)
No, only IOS comes with Siri. OS X doesn't.
- Answered by Callum B
- 04 18, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does OS Lion have Siri)
I am currently using Mac OS X 10.5.8. If I buy the $29.00 upgrade will I also get IWork, which I don't already have?
- Asked by Blake C from Cincinnati
- 10 13, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (I am currently using Mac OS X 10.5.8. If I buy the $29.00 upgrade will I also get IWork, which I don't already have?)
No iWork is a separate product. If you also need iLife 09, then get the Box Set. It's a great deal for all three products.
- Answered by Brian R from Webster
- 10 14, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I am currently using Mac OS X 10.5.8. If I buy the $29.00 upgrade will I also get IWork, which I don't already have?)