Questions & Answers for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
1891 Questions from the Community
I just bought snow leopard but before I install it, I am curious. . . will it cancel my installed programs, such as Adobe Creative Suite?Best Answer:
No, if you Upgrade, all your current programs on your system will remain intact. Also your documents and personal files will remain intact.
- Answered by Carlos V from Alexandria
- 12 24, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I just bought snow leopard but before I install it, I am curious. . . will it cancel my installed programs, such as Adobe Creative Suite?)
i have purchased the update in france but is the language going to change on my computer because of this. It is written in french on the box.Answer
You should be able to change the language of your operating system anytime by going to "System Preferences" and then going to "Language & Text." Also, if you haven't installed it yet, you can chose the language during setup.
- Answered by Jerry P from Fayetteville
- 11 5, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (i have purchased the update in france but is the language going to change on my computer because of this. It is written in french on the box.)
I have G5 PowerMac - powerpc 970 (2.2) - OS 10.4.11, so I can't update to snow leopard?
- Asked by Elizabeth J. C from Fern Glen
- 11 22, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (I have G5 PowerMac - powerpc 970 (2.2) - OS 10.4.11, so I can't update to snow leopard?)
No you need an Intel based Mac for it to work.
- Answered by Stephen C from Birmingham
- 11 24, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have G5 PowerMac - powerpc 970 (2.2) - OS 10.4.11, so I can't update to snow leopard?)
I have a MB466LL/A, can I upgrade to Snow Leopard?
I just received my refurbished MB466LL/A and it's slower than my a1226! I'm running on 10.5.8, but want the newest available software for my new computer, what's my best option? Snow Leopard? Mountain Lion? Can I even install these on this computer, and will it improve the speed? My computer is telling me I have no software updates available, which makes me nervous that this computer can't run the newer softwares, and I'm sweating the decision to make this purchase, as it (so far) seems worse than what I had before. Please HELP, I'm new to the Mac world and stressing!
- Asked by Paige B from Tempe
- 07 31, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a MB466LL/A, can I upgrade to Snow Leopard?)
Your computer is telling you there are no more Software Updates available because you have OS 10.5 and the furthest you can go in OS 10.5 is OS 10.5.8. "Software Update..." updates current software on your computer. It does the "free" updates. It will not advise on major new releases of software, such as transition from OS 10.5 (Leopard) to OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard).
Your MacBook with Core 2 Duo processor was released on October 14, 2008. It is Model ID MacBook5,1. If it has at least 1GB of memory It will have no problem running Snow Leopard.
I don't have info for this particular model as to the latest OS it will support. However model ID MacBook4,2 will support Lion (OS 10.7), and MacBook 5,2 will support Mountain Lion (OS 10.8). My hunch is that the furthest you can go is Lion (OS 10.7). The MacBook with ID MacBook4,2 was released October 14, 2008 (same as yours), whereas MacBook with ID MacBook5,2 was released January 21, 2009.
To improve speed, the usual remedy is to increase memory. The maximum memory that was officially supported by Apple for this MacBook is 4GB (although you can put in 8GB). Your MacBookPro A1226 (MA895, MA896, MA897 -- Model ID: MacBookPro3,1) is probably faster, even though it was released June 5, 2007, because it has a separate graphics processor (Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT), whereas your MacBook MB466LL/A has integrated graphics (Nvidia GeForce 9400M). The integrated graphics processor shares 256MB with the main memory on the computer. Integrated graphics results in a slower computer than having a separate graphics processor. Unfortunately, I don't think you can change the type of graphics processor inside MacBooks.
You can see how much memory you have by going to "About this Mac" in the Apple menu.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 08 1, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have a MB466LL/A, can I upgrade to Snow Leopard?)
Can I still buy Leopard for my PowerPC G4?
I would like to upgrade my PowerPC G4 to Leopard (not Snow Leopard, which only supports Intel). I cannot find a reputable source for purchasing the upgrade...does Apple stil make the Tiger --> Leopard upgrade available for the G4 (PowerPC) or am I stuck at Tiger?
I would like to try utilities like Time Machine and iPhoto.
- Asked by Loren B from Media
- 01 2, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I still buy Leopard for my PowerPC G4?)
Have no fear, you can still purchase the leopard (for PPC's) on Amazon or Ebay. As for the latest version of iPhoto, you will have to purchase iLife 09.
- Answered by Anton J from Rathdrum
- 01 5, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I still buy Leopard for my PowerPC G4?)
i have an old g3 ibook can i install snow leopard
- Asked by Steven S from Indianapolis
- 10 20, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (i have an old g3 ibook can i install snow leopard)
Snow Leopard requires you have an Intel Processor, so any of the iBooks, Powerbooks, Powermac, and early iMacs can't be upgraded to Snow Leopard.
Depending on which model of the iBook G3 you have, you can go up to 10.4.11 or 10.5.8. You might want to look into investing in a new Macbook which comes with Snow Leopard pre-installed. They will allow you to have Apple Support on your product, a wide variety of new accessories, plus an overall faster computer with the latest technology.
- Answered by Thomas F from Marstons Mills
- 10 21, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (i have an old g3 ibook can i install snow leopard)
my dvd drive is inop do I have any other options to load this software
my dvd is not reading disk and would like to upgrade to snow leopard. do I have any other options besides replacing my dvd superdrive?
- Asked by Jeffrey P from Westerville
- 10 16, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (my dvd drive is inop do I have any other options to load this software)
Replacing your internal drive is usually ~$300.
With newer Macs, you can install software from a DVD in another computer via Wi-Fi. Really cool! With all Macs that have Firewire, you can boot your Mac with the "T" key held down, connect it to a Mac that has a working DVD drive, and install Snow Leopard to your Mac. Your Mac is seen as an external hard drive by the Mac with the working DVD drive.
Lastly, the Genius Bar has done software installs for me. They either use external hard drives with the Operating System on them or they do it from a server. Just bring your Snow Leopard disc as a proof of purchase.
- Answered by Steven M from Durham
- 10 17, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (my dvd drive is inop do I have any other options to load this software)
Here is what I have. Can I download snow leopard? Hardware Overview: Machine Name: iMac G5 Machine Model: PowerMac8,2 CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.
want to copy pictures and music to the iPad.
Can I downaload Mountain Lion from the Apple Store here? I don't need another CD or DVD lying around.
Thanks for reading my question.
All i want to do is update my software so i can run my new (gifted) iPod. It requires 10.7 iTunes and such.
I am running on OS X 10.5.8 and meet all the hardware requirements for Mountain lion, but I really don't want another CD or DVD gathering dust just so i can use my device.
Is there a way to purchase Mountain Lion for download instead of purchasing a disc?
- Asked by Alexandre G from Courtenay
- 07 22, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I downaload Mountain Lion from the Apple Store here? I don't need another CD or DVD lying around.)
Mountain Lion is only available as a download from the App Store. Mountain Lion is OS 10.8 (not to be confused with Lion OS 10.7). Mountain Lion does not run on Macs older than 2007 - 2009.
However, to have access the App Store in order to download Mountain Lion, you have to have Snow Leopard OS 10.6.6 or later (preferably OS 10.6.8). The only way to obtain Snow Leopard is to have the DVD.
Once Snow Leopard is installed, go to Apple Menu and do Software Update to get to OS 10.6.8.
BTW: iTunes 10.7 will run under Snow Leopard OS 10.6.8. You do not need Mountain Lion to run iTunes 10.7.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 07 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I downaload Mountain Lion from the Apple Store here? I don't need another CD or DVD lying around.)
I am still running Mac OS X 10.4.11. I just received a new iPod nano but can't upload music because I need to update to os x 10.5. How do I do this
I also clicked on the apple icon to see if I had software updates and I do not. I have an intel processor but I do not have 1 GB of memory.
- Asked by Jessica P from Lyndon Center
- 01 27, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (I am still running Mac OS X 10.4.11. I just received a new iPod nano but can't upload music because I need to update to os x 10.5. How do I do this)
NO- ilife 09 is to be purchased separate
- Answered by Richard S from Hamburg
- 11 17, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does it come with iLife?)
Boot Camp is included on either the Mac OS X Leopard Install DVD or the Mac OS X Snow Leopard DVD. Either way, Boot Camp is installed when you install the main Mac OS X System. The Boot Camp Setup Assistant app is located in /Applications/Utilities. Launch this assistant after you have installed Mac OS X. If it says you need to update your firmware to the EFI version, then if I remember correctly, you just have to run Software Update, and it should come up as some sort of Firmware update to do with your Mac type. After that re run the Boot Camp Setup Assistant and it will guide you through the Boot Camp Setup.
I hope that this has answered your question.
- Answered by Alexander C from Wilburton, Ely
- 11 17, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (were do i get bootcamp)
Does anyone know if SL supports HannsG 281 in 1920x1200 mode??
I upgraded from 10.5.6 to 5.8 and it lost this resolution. I want to make sure SL will support it. Apple Care has no data about it.
- Asked by Eric C from Wellesley
- 12 16, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (Does anyone know if SL supports HannsG 281 in 1920x1200 mode??)
No. it only works w/ Intel based Mac. Leopard may the last Apple OS for Power PC based Mac.
- Answered by Jung K from Los Angeles
- 12 3, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can I upgrade my G4 macbook OS X 10.2 to OS X 10.6 Snow leopard?)
Will this upgrade my ilife?
My newer macbook got stolen and it had iMovie 11... I used it all the time and so I am having to use my iMac and I havent upgraded it yet but will it upgrade my ilife to ilife 11' or will I just have to buy it? btw my iMac is 10.5.8
- Asked by Asa M from Norman
- 08 31, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this upgrade my ilife?)
no, this will just upgrade 5 macs from 10.5 leopard to 10.6 snow leopard
- Answered by Thomas C from Hinsdale
- 10 1, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this upgrade my ilife?)