Questions & Answers for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
1891 Questions from the Community
I have a mac os x 10.4.11 2.16 GHz Intel core 2 duo 1gb memory 667 MHz can I upgrade to the snow leopard straight away?
- Asked by Seoung L from Lidcombe
- 09 10, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a mac os x 10.4.11 2.16 GHz Intel core 2 duo 1gb memory 667 MHz can I upgrade to the snow leopard straight away?)
The Mac Box Set contained 3 DVDs of software packaged together. Depending on when bought, it included: Snow Leopard OS (or Leopard OS), iLife and iWorks.
If you google "Mac Box Set", some online retailers still list it, but you'd have to check to see if still available at each retailer.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 08 10, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is the Snow Leopard software the same as the Mac box set? I can't find the Mac Box Set listed.)
I am trying to connect a PowerBook G4 to a TV. What connection cable do I need?
- Asked by Carrie H from South Lake Tahoe
- 10 11, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (I am trying to connect a PowerBook G4 to a TV. What connection cable do I need?)
I have an old mac book g4 10.4.11 Power Pc is there any way to run mac ox x Tiger on it?
i don't really know much about this so HeLp!!! plz
- Asked by Mynor R from Los Angeles
- 11 27, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (I have an old mac book g4 10.4.11 Power Pc is there any way to run mac ox x Tiger on it?)
If I'm not mistaken, you are running Tiger. If you want Snow Leopard, You might have to buy a new Mac because Snow Leopard doesn't run on non-Intel processors.
- Answered by William L
- 10 10, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have an old mac book g4 10.4.11 Power Pc is there any way to run mac ox x Tiger on it?)
You can just buy snow leopard single pack. Family pack is only good if you want to use it on more than one mac.
- Answered by Ryan J from Leicester
- 10 30, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have an intel mac, but I have no os or system disks. What do I need to buy? Is the Family Pack good enough?)
What does this soft wear do?
- Asked by Costakis K
- 03 2, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (What does this soft wear do?)
"Mac OS" is the Operating System for the Mac. It is what makes a Mac work. It is what causes all the windows, icons and menus to display on the monitor. It allows programs/applications to open and run. It also organizes how files will be stored on a hard drive. Basically, it provides the interface for the user to interact with the Mac.
The Mac OS has had many codenames over the years as the code has been improved and new releases are made.
The Mac OS that was released in the summer of 2009 was Mac OS X 10.6 (codenamed "Snow Leopard"). Mac OS X 10.7 ("Lion") was released in summer 2011. The last "update" to "Snow Leopard" was Mac OS X 10.6.8.
If one has an older Mac with an Intel processor and Mac OS 10.5 or earlier, one needs to install "Snow Leopard" and update it to OS 10.6.8 in order to install any later version of the Mac OS that is compatible with that Mac. The current Mac OS release is Mac OS 10.10 ("Yosemite").
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouver
- 03 4, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What does this soft wear do?)
No, your machine has a PowerPC G5 processor, and the Intel processor and motherboard architecture are completely different. The only solution to upgrading is to sell this machine and buy a new Intel based one.
- Answered by Trevor I from Victoria
- 12 31, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have a iMac G5 with a CPU PowerPC G5 (3.0). Can I get an Intel processor installed in it so I can Snow leopard?)
Yes you will need to purchase snow leopard to enable iLife 11 to work. iLife 11 does not work on any other old mac os x systems.
- Answered by Ryan J from Leicester
- 11 2, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (i have version mac os x 10.5.8 bought ilife 11 do i need to buy 10.6.3. no one told me at store if so)
I have a 2.33 Intel Core 2 Duo 3GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM for memory. Is that enough to download 10.6 from 10.4 Tiger or do I need to upgrade memory?
The plan is to upgrade to 10.6. I guess I will have to use a remote drive since I don't have a cd-drive? Then go from that to Lion 10.7. Do I need more memory?
mac os x 10.4.11 need upgrading?
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
best upgrading is ????????????
- Asked by Shay L from Brooklyn
- 11 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (mac os x 10.4.11 need upgrading?)
Your first goal should be to get to OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. If you're willing to do a clean install, you can just purchase and install Snow Leopard. If you want to do an upgrade install, you will need to upgrade to OS X 10.5 Leopard first.
If you want to go beyond Snow Leopard, your machine will benefit from a memory upgrade to 4GB.
- Answered by Robert T from Chatham
- 11 25, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (mac os x 10.4.11 need upgrading?)
what does 'in the same household' mean?
- Asked by Tim D from San Francisco
- 10 17, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (what does 'in the same household' mean?)
I have a single user Leopard package, if I buy the snow leopard family pack upgrade will that then cover 5 family users. Thanks JBAnswer
You can upgrade up to five mac running leapord within the family. :)
- Answered by Narasimha R from Chennai
- 10 13, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have a single user Leopard package, if I buy the snow leopard family pack upgrade will that then cover 5 family users. Thanks JB)
I have a Mac os x version 10.5.8, Which snow leopard should I get
- Asked by Steve W from Sherman Oaks
- 03 7, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a Mac os x version 10.5.8, Which snow leopard should I get)
With the new snow leopard,does the photo booth app upgrade as well?
when u buy the new snow leopard does the photo booth app uprade also.like will the effects be just as good as the ones on the leopard?
- Asked by Gabby P
- 10 11, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (With the new snow leopard,does the photo booth app upgrade as well?)
Installing bootcamp on Macbook Pro
my Macbook Pro is delivered with the snow leopard pre-installed. But if I want to install Bootcamp, do I need to buy the Snow leopard box set?
- Asked by Eng Huang F
- 12 5, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (Installing bootcamp on Macbook Pro)
You have 10.4 (Tiger) which requires the Mac Box Set to upgrade to Snow Leopard. The Mac Box Set includes iLife '09 and iWork '09. Your question did not say what version of iLife you have but I'm guessing it's '09 because that requires at least 10.5 (Leopard). You can try to return / sell / giveaway that copy of iLife '09 as the Mac Box Set will include it.
- Answered by Patrick W from Oviedo
- 10 15, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (My Imac is OS X 10.4.11 and I have ilife but I can't use it because I don't have the latest version, would this help?)
What does it take to upgrade iBook G4 from 10.4.11 to Leopard or Snowleopard
I would like to upgrade my iBook G4 to Snow-leopard 10.6, what do I have to do or buy or install first, I'm not a computer-whiz, and electronics make me feel real dumb.
Some body please explain it in a simple language. Thanks :-))
- Asked by Ulrike M from Palm Springs
- 10 31, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (What does it take to upgrade iBook G4 from 10.4.11 to Leopard or Snowleopard)
How to legally upgrade from Tiger now that the Mac Box Set Is no longer available?
I need to upgrade from OS X 10.4 to a more recent OS. I understood that this version of Snow Leopard (currently £26) was strictly for Leopard users - and although would technically work, the Mac Box Set was required for a properly licensed upgrade. However, since the release of Lion, it appears that the Mac Box Set is no longer available. Consequently, is this now the officially sanctioned route from Tiger to Snow Leopard (and also as a stepping-stone to Lion for a sufficiently spec'd Mac), or is any upgrade path from Tiger simply no longer available?
how many computers can i install on?
- Asked by Susan L from Miami
- 10 22, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (how many computers can i install on?)
If you get the single-licence for $29, then you can install it on one computer. If you get the family pack, then you can install it on up to five.
- Answered by Kevin M from Greenwood
- 10 29, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (how many computers can i install on?)