Questions & Answers for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
1888 Questions from the Community
what upgrade from mac osx 10.5.8 is best? Do I just purchase 10.6 snow leopard or should I get a later os x? I have 2GHz intel and 2GB memory.
No answers yet
i have an old g3 ibook can i install snow leopard
- Asked by Steven S from Indianapolis
- 10 20, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (i have an old g3 ibook can i install snow leopard)
Snow Leopard requires you have an Intel Processor, so any of the iBooks, Powerbooks, Powermac, and early iMacs can't be upgraded to Snow Leopard.
Depending on which model of the iBook G3 you have, you can go up to 10.4.11 or 10.5.8. You might want to look into investing in a new Macbook which comes with Snow Leopard pre-installed. They will allow you to have Apple Support on your product, a wide variety of new accessories, plus an overall faster computer with the latest technology.
- Answered by Thomas F from Marstons Mills
- 10 21, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (i have an old g3 ibook can i install snow leopard)
my dvd drive is inop do I have any other options to load this software
my dvd is not reading disk and would like to upgrade to snow leopard. do I have any other options besides replacing my dvd superdrive?
- Asked by Jeffrey P from Westerville
- 10 16, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (my dvd drive is inop do I have any other options to load this software)
Replacing your internal drive is usually ~$300.
With newer Macs, you can install software from a DVD in another computer via Wi-Fi. Really cool! With all Macs that have Firewire, you can boot your Mac with the "T" key held down, connect it to a Mac that has a working DVD drive, and install Snow Leopard to your Mac. Your Mac is seen as an external hard drive by the Mac with the working DVD drive.
Lastly, the Genius Bar has done software installs for me. They either use external hard drives with the Operating System on them or they do it from a server. Just bring your Snow Leopard disc as a proof of purchase.
- Answered by Steven M from Durham
- 10 17, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (my dvd drive is inop do I have any other options to load this software)
Here is what I have. Can I download snow leopard? Hardware Overview: Machine Name: iMac G5 Machine Model: PowerMac8,2 CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.
want to copy pictures and music to the iPad.
I upgraded an iMac directly from Tiger to Snow Leopard and have had no issues whatsoever.
- Answered by Michael K from Falls Church
- 10 22, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have Tiger on an Intel Macbook. Can I purchase the $30 upgrade, or am I now forced to purchase a full dvd?)
I am still running Mac OS X 10.4.11. I just received a new iPod nano but can't upload music because I need to update to os x 10.5. How do I do this
I also clicked on the apple icon to see if I had software updates and I do not. I have an intel processor but I do not have 1 GB of memory.
- Asked by Jessica P from Lyndon Center
- 01 27, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (I am still running Mac OS X 10.4.11. I just received a new iPod nano but can't upload music because I need to update to os x 10.5. How do I do this)
NO- ilife 09 is to be purchased separate
- Answered by Richard S from Hamburg
- 11 17, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does it come with iLife?)
Boot Camp is included on either the Mac OS X Leopard Install DVD or the Mac OS X Snow Leopard DVD. Either way, Boot Camp is installed when you install the main Mac OS X System. The Boot Camp Setup Assistant app is located in /Applications/Utilities. Launch this assistant after you have installed Mac OS X. If it says you need to update your firmware to the EFI version, then if I remember correctly, you just have to run Software Update, and it should come up as some sort of Firmware update to do with your Mac type. After that re run the Boot Camp Setup Assistant and it will guide you through the Boot Camp Setup.
I hope that this has answered your question.
- Answered by Alexander C from Wilburton, Ely
- 11 17, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (were do i get bootcamp)
Does anyone know if SL supports HannsG 281 in 1920x1200 mode??
I upgraded from 10.5.6 to 5.8 and it lost this resolution. I want to make sure SL will support it. Apple Care has no data about it.
- Asked by Eric C from Wellesley
- 12 16, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (Does anyone know if SL supports HannsG 281 in 1920x1200 mode??)
How can I get snow leopard on my MacBook Air
Is there anyway I can get snow leopard on my MacBook Air without buying an external disc drive? Can I use another computer somehow?
- Asked by Daryl P from Malmsbury
- 01 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (How can I get snow leopard on my MacBook Air)
You can use "Remote Disc" - which is an Apple provided utility for accessing another computers disc drive.
If you search for "DVD or CD sharing: Using Remote Disc" in Google, you will get an article form Apple that describes how to do this.
- Answered by Rodney W from Niddrie
- 01 15, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How can I get snow leopard on my MacBook Air)
No. it only works w/ Intel based Mac. Leopard may the last Apple OS for Power PC based Mac.
- Answered by Jung K from Los Angeles
- 12 3, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can I upgrade my G4 macbook OS X 10.2 to OS X 10.6 Snow leopard?)
I have a macbook with OSX 10.4.11 I don't use I life or iwork, can I just get the snow leopard upgrade or do I need to buy the box set?
I really have no use for the extra software, so I didnt know if I could get away with just buying snow leopard
- Asked by Rachael B from Waterford
- 11 27, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a macbook with OSX 10.4.11 I don't use I life or iwork, can I just get the snow leopard upgrade or do I need to buy the box set?)
Yes you will need the box set. Or alternatively you could buy a copy of leopard of an online seller an buy snow leopard. But the value for the box set is tremendous and with the updated iLife 11', now is the best time to buy. Your MacBook must have 1Gb of ram or more to update to snow leopard. Hope I helped :)
When you install Snow Leopard, do you have to reinstall non-apple programs?
I use Photoshop CS2 on a daily basis, and could really benefit from the increased speed offered by Snow Leopard. But I lost my install disks for the Adobe Creative Suite-so if installing Snow Leopard is going to delete Photoshop-it's not gonna work for me. Haha.
- Asked by Annie B from Berkeley
- 12 27, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (When you install Snow Leopard, do you have to reinstall non-apple programs?)
No because the upgrade doesn't delete any files whatsoever. It just upgrades without doing anything to the data.
- Answered by Maria Sylvia H
- 12 28, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (When you install Snow Leopard, do you have to reinstall non-apple programs?)
Does Apple still sell Mac OS X Leopard 10.5? I can't find it on the website. Apparently I need 10.5 for iTunes 10.2 so I can use my iPad.
No answers yet
Short answer: No. If you want to, do so, but if you are violating license agreements, do not (you should NOT be violating license agreements in the first place).
- Answered by Tanner H from Salt Lake City
- 10 10, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I've just bought Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. Do I have to register that software?)
I have a Macbook Pro -OSX 10.4.11 2.33 Ghz 2 Intel 2 Duo Tiger. if I upgrade to Snow Leopard will Adobe CS2 still work?
Most interested in using Illustrator - most important and Photoshop second.
- Asked by Lawrence S from Ramsey
- 01 22, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a Macbook Pro -OSX 10.4.11 2.33 Ghz 2 Intel 2 Duo Tiger. if I upgrade to Snow Leopard will Adobe CS2 still work?)
will my computer be faster when i install it
- Asked by Mary A from Eagan
- 02 15, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (will my computer be faster when i install it)
Yes. I knew when I bought it my Mac would speed up, but I'm shocked at exactly how fast it got. It's amazing, I would definitely get it,
- Answered by Nicholas R from Los Angeles
- 02 15, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will my computer be faster when i install it)
I already have iLife '09, i just want to buy snow leopard upgrade and iWork '09, is there a deal just to buy these two together without iLife '09.Answer
Unfortunately not. You can buy the Mac Box Set (includes: iWork 09, iLife 09, and MacOSX) or buy the iWork 09 and Snow Leopard separately.