Questions & Answers for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
1891 Questions from the Community
i have a mac osx 10.5.1, what do i need to do to get updated?
- Asked by Danny P from Springdale
- 02 2, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (i have a mac osx 10.5.1, what do i need to do to get updated?)
Is Firefox 3.0.16 supported on Snow Leopard?
- Asked by David D from Stow
- 12 27, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (Is Firefox 3.0.16 supported on Snow Leopard?)
does the snow leopard play dvd?
- Asked by Mary F from Knoxville
- 03 3, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (does the snow leopard play dvd?)
No, you're stuck with OS X 10.5.8 - you need an Intel processor Mac to run 10.6 or newer
- Answered by Chris C from Grand Rapids
- 10 19, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will mac os 10.6 work on my power mac c4 dual 1g)
Can I run VectorWorks 12.5 on Snow Leopard. Is it possible to import all data from Entourage (microsoft office 2008) to Mail, iCal and Address book?
No answers yet
when I upgrade to snow leopard, do I have to back up my itunes library and all my pictures. In other words, does the upgrade wipe out everything.Answer
No, your itunes might change though, so you may have to update playlists and small stuff like this.
Does Adobe CS2 compatible with Mac OS X 10.6?
- Asked by Brian W from Croton On Hudson
- 09 27, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Does Adobe CS2 compatible with Mac OS X 10.6?)
what software do you need to open all those funky ms formats
The mac does not require extensions to filenames.
When trying to open a Microsoft file with some weird
extension on it I always get a message about needing
a program or something to open the file -this happens
most frequently when trying to read or view mail from
my PC friends.
There must be some software that will look at the extension
and translate it for me. Right?
Thanks for your time.
P.S. I am looking at the new Imac as a replacement for
this relic I am using.
- Asked by Spencer B from Marshall
- 09 22, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (what software do you need to open all those funky ms formats)
I purchased my macBook Pro 2 weeks ago, and it came with Lion. I want to downgrade it to Snow Leopard. Can I buy this and use it to do that?
No answers yet
Office Software will remain intact.
I upgraded from OS 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard and all my Microsoft Office 2004 and Adobe CS3 programs continue to work.
For myself, I installed Snow Leopard on a freshly formatted partition and during the installation I had the opportunity to import all my settings, files and/or applications. This way I have TWO start up disks. One with Snow Leopard, the other with OS 10.4.11 in case I have to go back to old system if something doesn't work quite right.
I upgraded a few months ago. But today I notice that Word 2004 does not always want to create a new document or open a document when you select those items from the File menu or by keyboard shortcut. However, Word documents do open when double clicked.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouver
- 01 8, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will the upgrade to snow leopard erase my current microsoft office or any other softwares in my mac?)
The simple answer is "no". I strongly recommend sticking to the OS version that comes with your Mac, or a supported successor.
The technical answer is that you can do it in some circumstances. This depends on the release date of the hardware in question.
Snow Leopard will work on hardware configurations that existed prior to or during it's life as the current version of OS X. For any hardware that is released after the launch of Lion, you cannot downgrade the operating system - it will not work.
Do not forget that AppleCare will not support a retrofitted configuration either - and with good reason!
- Answered by Rodney W from Niddrie
- 08 20, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Could I use this product to downgrade a brand new iMac (which includes Lion) to 10.6.7?)
I am running OS 10.5.8 and run Parallels with Win XP SP3. Will 10.6 support Parallels? Is Bootcamp still supported?
- Asked by Edmund R from Hudsonville
- 10 10, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (I am running OS 10.5.8 and run Parallels with Win XP SP3. Will 10.6 support Parallels? Is Bootcamp still supported?)
Bootcamp is still supported, just a newer version in 10.6. All other applications should run correctly.
- Answered by James A from Plaistow
- 10 13, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I am running OS 10.5.8 and run Parallels with Win XP SP3. Will 10.6 support Parallels? Is Bootcamp still supported?)
OS X Snow Leopard Upgrade for multiple computers.
I have an iMac and a Macbook that need upgrading to Snow Leopard. Do I need to purchase 2 Snow Leopard DVD packages? Is there a family pack available? There is no description of the license requirements for Snow Leopard on the Apple Store page. (In fact, it's difficult to find Snow Leopard in the store at all!)
- Asked by Katherine K from The Woodlands
- 02 11, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (OS X Snow Leopard Upgrade for multiple computers.)
You "should" have a separate license for each Mac, but can use the same Snow Leopard DVD for all installations.
Before Lion and Mountain Lion were released, there was a Family Pack (which provided licenses for up to 5 macs in a household) and there was the "normal package" which provided a single license. Both packages contained the identical single installation disc, but provided a different number of licenses. Family Pack was $49, and the single license package was $29.
After Lion and Mountain Lion were released, the Family Pack was no longer available. BUT, the single license disc dropped in price to $20. (Which, in your case, makes buying two single license packages less costly than the Family Pack.)
When you are at the Apple Store website, simply type "Snow Leopard" in the search field at the top right (next to the "Support" tab).
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 02 12, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (OS X Snow Leopard Upgrade for multiple computers.)
I'm not sure which computer to get. I want to use CS4 Adobe photoshop and illustrator.
It is not clear to me about the Mac OS Snow Leopard. From the questions I read it
sounds like this is not the computer to get because of the intel processor. I'm not sure what that means. Help.
- Asked by Denise M
- 12 20, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (I'm not sure which computer to get. I want to use CS4 Adobe photoshop and illustrator.)
Which version of Snow Leopard is on the retail disk currently for sale?
Is it 10.6.5 or earlier version?
- Asked by Zeljko V
- 03 25, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Which version of Snow Leopard is on the retail disk currently for sale?)
It is 10.6.3, but you can update it until it says there are none left (pretty much last weeks' updates).
- Answered by Matthew M from Pleasanton
- 03 26, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Which version of Snow Leopard is on the retail disk currently for sale?)
I an running 10.5.8 and I have an Iphone 5, will this purchase be sufficient in upgrading my software in order to be compatible with my Iphone 5?
I need to upgrade my itunes to 11.0.3, but my computer Model Identifier: MacBook5,2. which only upgrades to 10.5.8, and I need 10.6 or higher I believe. my question is, respectively, do I need to upgrade my software only or is there a hardware upgrade involved as well? will the $20 snow leopard disk be sufficient?
Can I install OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on a MacBook mid-2007 with a bard hard drive?
I have a MacBook, white
I got it without a hard drive, just the laptop. I have a 250gb hdd that will work with it.
This originally came with OS X 10.4 from my research.
Can I buy the $29 Snow Leopard and install it on the bare hard drive?
- Asked by Charles E from Bowie
- 09 20, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I install OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on a MacBook mid-2007 with a bard hard drive?)
What is the difference between Single User and Family pack?
Do Family pack means Server?
- Asked by Huu Nghia N from St-leonard
- 02 16, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the difference between Single User and Family pack?)
Single user is one single Intel Mac.
Single User: you have one mac, with multiple accounts, all you need is the single user,
Family Pack: You, you're wife and 3 children all have a mac laptop, purchase the family pack (up to 5)
Single user is for one mac only,
family pack is more multiple (separate) mac computers
- Answered by Gayle M from Fredericton
- 07 16, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is the difference between Single User and Family pack?)
Will PhotoElements 6 still work?
I am about to upgrade my Imac from 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard. Will Photoshop Elements 6 still work or do I have to get new software?
- Asked by Elizabeth F from Toronto
- 05 11, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Will PhotoElements 6 still work?)