Questions & Answers for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
1862 Questions from the Community
I bought MacMini and MacBookPro in Sept'09. Snow Leopard was only with MacPro. On Mini I have 10.5. Can I install 10.6 from CD that came with MacPro?
I bought MacMini and MacBookPro at the same time in Sept'09.
On mini I have 10.5.8 installed and have NO disk with Snow Leopard...(
Snow Leopard was installed only on MacPro, and, of course, there is a disk with Snow Leopard 10.6.
So, can I install 10.6 to Mac mini from CD that came with MacBook Pro?
Why should I pay for shipping the disk if have one?Answer
The software restore discs that come with your Mac are designed only to be used with the system is came with. Since your Mac mini was purchased after the Up-to-Date program launched, you are likely eligible for an upgrade to Snow Leopard for $9.95.
If you purchased the computers from an Apple Store, the Snow Leopard disc that was supplied may have been a "CPU Drop-In Kit", which works with any Mac that supports Snow Leopard. If you received one of those, you may use that to upgrade your Mac mini to Snow Leopard.
Is it worth updating 10.4.11 to snow leopard?
I have a 2.16 GHz intel processor and 1 GB of memory.
- Asked by Kevin R from Germantown
- 01 14, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it worth updating 10.4.11 to snow leopard?)
Newer versions of Operating software run more efficiently. You will therefore benefit from speed hopefully at the least. However, do not simply upgrade because a newer version is available. If you have software that you bought with your current system configuration then it is not all guaranteed to work with the very latest version of Leopard. Make a cautious decision and you probably won't go wrong.
- Answered by Samuel R
- 01 20, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is it worth updating 10.4.11 to snow leopard?)
does the install remove your files
i want to upgrade to mac os 10.6.3 but im worried if it will erase the files on all the accounts on my mac
- Asked by Joseph G from Seaside
- 10 13, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (does the install remove your files)
no it dosen't!! I just did my upgrade and nothing was remove
- Answered by Cesar A
- 10 13, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does the install remove your files)
No. The space that you gain will be from trimming down the operating system itself. Your files remain untouched. That said, take it from a professional network administrator: I've never seen a backup cause data loss.
- Answered by Kevin M from Greenwood
- 10 29, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (If I installed the new Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard does it delete all my files and stuff in the laptop ?)
how do i buy a snow leopard family pack?
- Asked by Peter B from Naples
- 01 10, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i buy a snow leopard family pack?)
No, it will not work. All versions of Mac OS X only work on Mac computers. However, it is quite possible to run Windows on a Mac (even as the primary OS), and you can send your PC to be recycled by Apple in exchange for an Apple Gift Card in order to lessen the price of a Mac.
- Answered by James C from Youngstown
- 10 14, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (i have a pc running vista, will i be able so buy snow leopard and put it on my pc?)
Nope. But there are Apple Stores in many places.
One more thing - although the upgrade went perfectly on all our machines, you should make sure your files are backed up before installing, so maybe wait until you get home?
- Answered by Douglas G from Baltimore
- 10 10, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is there a downloadable version of Snow Leopard Upgrade I can purchase as I am traveling?)
where can I buy this in the Philadelphia area?
I would like to be able to go to the store to pick us the Snow leopard Family pack. Where is it sold?
- Asked by Patrice B from Hatboro
- 10 31, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (where can I buy this in the Philadelphia area?)
If I upgrade now from Leopard to Snow Leopard, and sometime in the future my computer crashes - will I need also Leopard installation to restore ?
I have Leopard now. If I upgrade to Snow Leopard, and in the future I'll need to reinstall my computer - will I need also the Leopard installation in addition to the Snow leopard that I upgraded to ?Best Answer:
If your computer shipped with 10.5 Leopard the only thing on those disks that the Snow Leopard won't have is what Apple calls the "Application Disks". If your Hard-drive crashes or you face software problems and need to restore, you should be able to install the Snow Leopard DVD first, then insert your Application Disk to get your iLife back on the computer.
If you recently purchased an upgrade for iLife, then you can skip the Application Disks and install the iLife Disk if you purchased one.
The Snow Leopard is meant to be used for a fresh install as well as upgrading from 10.5 to 10.6.
Have a nice day!
- Answered by Thomas F from Marstons Mills
- 10 21, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (If I upgrade now from Leopard to Snow Leopard, and sometime in the future my computer crashes - will I need also Leopard installation to restore ?)
I use final cut pro 6.0.6.. Is it compatible with snow leopard? (I have 10.5.8) The two answers posted contradict each other.
- Asked by Gerri S from Wellesley
- 06 28, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (I use final cut pro 6.0.6.. Is it compatible with snow leopard? (I have 10.5.8) The two answers posted contradict each other.)
Yes, all of your purchases will remain intact.
- Answered by Matthew M from Pleasanton
- 05 12, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i keep my itunes purchases if i upgrade to 10.6 from 10.5?)
My mac is running on 10.5.8. Will this version update my current version of iWeb (1.1.2). Because currently I am not able to upload a site.
- Asked by Bill H from Los Angeles
- 03 17, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (My mac is running on 10.5.8. Will this version update my current version of iWeb (1.1.2). Because currently I am not able to upload a site.)
No answers yet
I have 2001 powerbook g4 15 inch screen and it still has the old os on it so if I buy this mac os x 10.6 snow leopard, will i have the new os?
what im trying to say is i have the old os that the laptop came with, and if i dowload this mac os x 10.6 snow leopard, will it automatically have the new one or will i need to buy more stuff to upgrade the os?Best Answer:
You will need a Mac with an Intel processor to be able to run Snow Leopard. I personally favor the 13" MacBook Pro. 10.6 won't run on a G4. 10.6 does keep you updated automatically.
my computer is homebuilt, using IPentium(R)4; CPU 2.4 GHz; RAM 512 MBs. can I use Mac OS x with my computer as I do with Windows XP
Using Intel Pentium(R)4 CPU 2.4GHz, RAM 512MBs ;DesktopAnswer
No, you need an Apple Mac computer to install Snow Leopard.
- Answered by Stephen C from Birmingham
- 11 24, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (my computer is homebuilt, using IPentium(R)4; CPU 2.4 GHz; RAM 512 MBs. can I use Mac OS x with my computer as I do with Windows XP)