Questions & Answers for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
1869 Questions from the Community
Have Leopard in my MacPro computer, how much is my upgrade to Snow Leopard? Thanks. Judy Ng
I have Lepard with my Mac Pro computer that I purchased in August 2008. I would like to upgrade to Snow Leopard. How much would the upgrade be if I decided to do it. Thanks. Judy Ng
- Asked by Judy N from Poway
- 10 15, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (Have Leopard in my MacPro computer, how much is my upgrade to Snow Leopard? Thanks. Judy Ng)
Is hp photosmart c3180 compatible with snow leopard?
I am planning to update from OS10.4.11 to Snow Leopard. Will Snow Leopard support my HP Photosmart c3180 printer?
- Asked by Ralph N from Lavale
- 01 12, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Is hp photosmart c3180 compatible with snow leopard?)
How do I download Snow Leopard to my MacAir?
- Asked by M B from Chicago
- 11 25, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I download Snow Leopard to my MacAir?)
is a clean install recommended of Snow Leopard to ensure smooth operation?
Is it necessary to remove programs like Photoshop CS4, Cocktail, Microsoft Office 08, earth browser, etc. prior to installation of snow leopard, and then reinstall these programs once snow leopard is installed? What are the pros and cons?
- Asked by Robert A from Leominster
- 10 26, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (is a clean install recommended of Snow Leopard to ensure smooth operation?)
I would recommend that coz' that's exactly what I did. It has more pros compared to cons. My MBP runs like new with a clean install.
- Answered by Richard F from Petersburg
- 11 9, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is a clean install recommended of Snow Leopard to ensure smooth operation?)
Upgrade to a different language
I have an intel MacBook with OSX 10.5.8 English, I want to give it to my neice when I by a new one, but she will want a different language, can i upgrade OSX 10.5.8 English to OSX 10.6.0 Dansk?
- Asked by Erik N
- 02 25, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Upgrade to a different language)
I want to make my iBook G4 which is running on Tiger compatible to use with the new wifi iPad when they finally come out. What do I need to do?
Tiger OS X 10.4.11Best Answer:
It may be best to upgrade to Leopard 10.5.8, since the iPad requires it or later to even think about syncing.
I have a 2000 Ruby i mac that has 9.2 os. What upgrade will work?
Can I upgrade my 2000 i mac that has 9.2 software to Snow Leopard 10.6? If not what upgrade can I get.
- Asked by James S from Lancaster
- 06 11, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a 2000 Ruby i mac that has 9.2 os. What upgrade will work?)
Two questions about upgrading software...
I currently have Tiger 10.4.11 on my Mac Mini, my father just upgraded his mac's software from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion and I was trying to find out if I can use his software (Snow Leopard) on my Mac since he is no longer using it? Also, can I upgrade straight from Tiger 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard 10.6? Or do I need to purchase the software that goes in between those two operating systems? Thank You
- Asked by Rachael O from Windsor
- 01 3, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Two questions about upgrading software...)
The OS disk that comes with a Mac is usually specific to that model Mac only. You will probably need to purchase the retail Snow Leopard disk. This would also give you a "license" to have Snow Leopard on your Mac Mini. Price for the retail DVD is currently only $20. Make sure your Mac Mini is Intel-based, not PowerPC based, as Snow Leopard can only be put on Intel-based Macs.
Using the retail disk, you can upgrade directly from OS 10.4.11. I upgraded directly from OS 10.4.11 by doing the following:
1) Made a separate new partition. The new partition can be on the same hard drive as the OS 10.4.11 partition, or on an external hard drive. Use disk utility on the Snow Leopard DVD to make the partition. Once starting up the Mac from the DVD, to find Disk Utility, click the "utilities" button, then select "Disk Utility" from the "Utilities" menu. Snow Leopard may need to modify the formatting on a partition, so if using an already existing partition, any files already on it may be erased.
2) After creating the partition, Start Up again from the DVD and Install Snow Leopard to the new partition.
3) During the install, the installer will search your Mac for any other partitions with an OS on it. Then it will ask if you want to import OS settings, applications and files from the old partition. You may have to wait many minutes before the installer asks if it can import.
4) Start up with the Snow Leopard partition and do "Software Updates" (under the Apple menu) to bring Snow Leopard up to OS 10.6.8.
5) When done you will have a dual boot Mac, and can start up from either the old partition (OS 10.4.11) or the new partition (OS 10.6.8). Handy if you have an app or a driver that won't run in Snow Leopard, and you need some time before updating those apps/drivers.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 01 7, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Two questions about upgrading software...)
When I looked a few weeks ago, there was an option to upgrade to Snow Leopard for £8 if you bought a mac within a certain date. Does it still apply?Best Answer:
In the US and CA: If you bought your computer June 8 2009 or after and within 90 of purchase you can get the Snow Leopard Up-to-Date...this will last until Dec 26 2009. (not sure if this differs in Europe)
Will newer models of Mac books Mac book pros or any Macs run on Snow Leopard still or will they run on Lion after July 2011?
- Asked by Samuel M from Edmond
- 06 16, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Will newer models of Mac books Mac book pros or any Macs run on Snow Leopard still or will they run on Lion after July 2011?)
Any Intel-based Mac with 1 GB of RAM will run Snow Leopard. That would include all Macs sold since mid-2007.
For Lion, you need 2 GB of RAM.
After July, once store inventories are cleared out, I expect new Macs will have Lion pre-installed.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 06 18, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will newer models of Mac books Mac book pros or any Macs run on Snow Leopard still or will they run on Lion after July 2011?)
I have OSX leopard 10.5.8 With the earlier version of I life(08 I think). Should I get the bundle or the standard update?
- Asked by Travis B from Taylorsville
- 12 26, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (I have OSX leopard 10.5.8 With the earlier version of I life(08 I think). Should I get the bundle or the standard update?)
how many mac's can be upgraded by the dvd
- Asked by Ernestina R from Adelaide
- 09 21, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (how many mac's can be upgraded by the dvd)
Do I have to back up photos before installing new OS.
- Asked by Bruce B from San Jose
- 11 9, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Do I have to back up photos before installing new OS.)
Is rosetta included with Snow Leopard?
- Asked by Pat V from Carrying Place
- 11 7, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (Is rosetta included with Snow Leopard?)
Yes, it is, but it is not installed during a standard upgrade. If a program should ever need rosetta, it will ask you to use your SL disc to install it.
- Answered by Kent M from Williamsburg
- 11 9, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is rosetta included with Snow Leopard?)
Yes. After starting your Mac Pro from the DVD, select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu to erase the hard drive. This will wipe out everything and allow for a clean install. Make sure you back up all your important data before you start.
- Answered by Robert T from Chatham
- 10 24, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (For Dual Core Mac Pro ?)
Need to upgrade from 10.4.11 Tiger to either Leopard or Snow Leopard. My capacity is 111.34 GB and my available is 304.25 MB. Do I have enough room?
Can I install an intel processor on a G4?
- Asked by Laurel A from Minden
- 12 10, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I install an intel processor on a G4?)