Questions & Answers for Apple Composite AV Cable
528 Questions from the Community
Can I pull video IN to an iPad to record video with composite AV cable?
I have an external lens that is water submersible which I use for pool-side underwater video; connection on the lens end is A/V. I would like to record FROM this lens TO the iPad, using iPads video recorder.
- Asked by Brian C from Yorktown Heights
- 12 22, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I pull video IN to an iPad to record video with composite AV cable?)
Will this cable work with my red/white car stereo plugs?
I have a new car with red and white plugs instead of the usb which I would have preferred. I am trying to find the best quality audio plugs to go from my iPod 5th generation to the red and whites.
Does a dock connector to the rca's produce better sound quality than one from the headphone jack? Will the available products on the market also charge my iPod at the same time?
Thank you for any help, most appreciated.
- Asked by Liesl R from Bexley
- 02 16, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this cable work with my red/white car stereo plugs?)
Yes, a RCA line out from the dock connector is many times better than just using the headphone socket. You should be able to notice a difference, especially if you have good speakers and a good ear for music.
- Answered by Oliver S
- 02 28, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this cable work with my red/white car stereo plugs?)
Can I watch movies on my tv through my iPod 4g?
- Asked by Ian R from St. Charles
- 02 10, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I watch movies on my tv through my iPod 4g?)
The digital AV adapter is HDMI and includes a higher definition video output that the composite (RCA Jacks -Yellow, Red, White) which is analog video (yellow). I don't know if the audio signal is better in the HDMI vs the RCA (Red/White) - it depends on what the iPad sends.
- Answered by James H from Olmsted Falls
- 02 2, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (whats the difference between the composite av cable & the digital av adapter)
I thought it would, but with my iPhone 3GS I only get output playing a video. Not with Keynote, despite all documentation suggesting it would work together.
can i connect it to a projecter
Would I be able to connect my ipad 2 to a projecter using only the yellow cable?And would be able to see the screen on both my ipad 2 and projecter at the same time?
- Asked by Bruce,michele, Emma, And Duncan R from Ottawa
- 03 25, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (can i connect it to a projecter)
can this work with apple tv
- Asked by Philippa S
- 01 16, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (can this work with apple tv)
The Apple TV has it's own HDMI output to connect to a TV with HDMI or DVI inputs... It doesn't use the same connection as an iPod, iPhone or iPad.
- Answered by James H from North Bondi
- 01 31, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can this work with apple tv)
Will this Composite AV Cable work with the new updated IOS7?
- Asked by Karen W from Mountain Home
- 11 18, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this Composite AV Cable work with the new updated IOS7?)
With this cable connector, would I be able to stream Netflix movies from my iPhone or iPad to my tv?
- Asked by Justin B from Niagara Falls
- 10 26, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (With this cable connector, would I be able to stream Netflix movies from my iPhone or iPad to my tv?)
Yes, just set your video settings on your device to output and you can view netflix on your television
- Answered by Veronica S from Accokeek
- 10 29, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (With this cable connector, would I be able to stream Netflix movies from my iPhone or iPad to my tv?)
Can I use the cable to watch Skype video calls on TV?
I want to watch the video on a big screen.
- Asked by Allan F from Aberfoyle Park
- 10 15, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the cable to watch Skype video calls on TV?)
Perhaps on a later update, fingers crossed. as of 5.1.1 i have tested and it (Composite AV cable) does not output Skype video.
Most native iOS apps like photos, video and youtube work very well. photos need to be in slideshow mode.
- Answered by Karthik S from Mountain View
- 08 14, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use the cable to watch Skype video calls on TV?)
can I use the composite cables with apple tv to watch netflix
- Asked by Palie W from Bethesda
- 02 2, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (can I use the composite cables with apple tv to watch netflix)
How can I connect my macbook pro to my tv or projector? What cable or adapters would I need?
- Asked by Sharon B from Mesquite
- 12 27, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (How can I connect my macbook pro to my tv or projector? What cable or adapters would I need?)
All of the Apple portable devices output an analog signal rather than a digital signal. To get the best quality sound, you should turn the volume all the way up on the iPhone (or iPad, iPod, etc.), and adjust the listening volume using the stereo. In general, sound quality will be limited by the type of file - MP3 and other compressed formats will limit fidelity. Thus, for playing via a stereo I suggest storing Apple Lossless versions of your music on a computer running iTunes. If you want 'audiophile' grade sound, you should add an external digital to analog converter with a computer interface (like USB) rather than use the circuits built into the portable device.
- Answered by Frank W from Minneapolis
- 03 19, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What's the best way to connect Iphone to home stereo and maintain digital sound quality?)
Yes it is possible. Purchase an Apple Component AV Cable. Connect the 3 prongs (red, white and yellow to the smartboard). The usb does not connect to the smartboard. Connect the other end to the iphone. Select Composite on the input selector on the smartboard. This only works if you want to play a movie downloaded from itunes etc. The USB can be used to charge the iphone if you have an adapter for the plug-in. Plug adapter into outlet and place USB into the adapter.
- Answered by Carey B from Linwood
- 11 1, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How can I connect my Iphone to an Interactive Board / Smartboard? Is this possible?)
I have a new Toyota AyGo which has a MirrorLink display. I'm told you need to use the Appincar. Where do I get the special cable?
I have an iPhone 5s so it must work with the lightning connector. I think the cable connects the phone to both the USB and aux in sockets.
I have the Appincar app but I need the cable as wellBest Answer:
Unfortunately, MirrorLink is only compatible with the Iphone 4 and 4S.
Trying to get it working with anything newer, is just going to leave you with hours of frustration.
Best option is to email Pioneer and Toyota to complain.
what is the difference between vga adapter and digital av adapter
- Asked by Pedro N from Duncanville
- 03 15, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (what is the difference between vga adapter and digital av adapter)
It all depends what you want to connect your apple device to. Look at the connector ends of each cable and figure out if you have something that will match the plug.
The apple vga adapter goes from the ipad/iphone type "apple" connector to a VGA connection - the kind you would have to connect to a computer monitor. (Some people who travel to do speeches need this to display their presentation on a big presentation screen)
The apple digital av adapter has one end that connects to your apple device and the other end connects to an HDMI cable to attach to an HDMI TV. If you dont have an HDMI connection on your tv, it won't work. You also need an HDMI cable that you can get at any TV/electronics store (best buy, radio shack etc)
Apple also sells component and composite cables for ipod/iphone connections AND they sell similar cables that will connect your tv to a firewire or dvi port on a laptop.
Look at the device you want to connect with (your tv?) first and find out what kind of connections it has. Then you will know what connector AND what cable to buy.
If you have a compatible ipod or iphone with the apple connector and you have an HDMI cable to connect to your HDMI TV, buy the apple digital av adapter.
- Answered by Libby G from Redlands
- 03 19, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (what is the difference between vga adapter and digital av adapter)