Questions & Answers for Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
97 Questions from the Community
You can't. Use a thunderbolt to hdmi cable to do this.
- Answered by Katrin S from Willetton
- 05 5, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i use thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet adapter to connect macbook to tv?)
Do you need a special internet connection to use this or is it just like the USB ethernet adapter?
Thank you for all the detailed instructions on how to load myriad software packies to ensure an RJ-45 can talk to a Windows 7 PC.
I am new to Apple so forgive such a simple question.
What benefit would I get from connecting my iPhone or iPad to my Windows PC with a RJ-45 vice a USB? I read all the questions and answers (it was inspiring to see such a consistently polite exchange in a help forum!). But the only thing I've been able to take away from the forum, is that this device will allow a faster exchange between an Apple device and Windows 7 (with the right handshaking software).
- Asked by Robert C from Burke
- 04 11, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Do you need a special internet connection to use this or is it just like the USB ethernet adapter?)
can i connect an external hard drive to my airport extreme via the thunderbolt to ethernet connector?
I have an 8TB G-Raid Studio drive that I'm trying to connect to my airport extreme via a thunderbolt to ethernet connector for media storage.
My network is setup as follows 2TB Time Capsule --> 8 port gigabit network switch --> Airport Express x 2 & Airport Extreme.
I have a buffalo linkstation connected to the TC for my work server. I wanted to use this raid drive for a media server. I have connected the raid drive to the Airport Extreme using the Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet connector but can't seem to have the drive recognized on the network... How can I fix this?
- Asked by Mujahid M from Upland
- 06 1, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (can i connect an external hard drive to my airport extreme via the thunderbolt to ethernet connector?)
Will this work with a MacBook Pro Model A1398?
- Asked by Louis V from San Juan
- 04 18, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work with a MacBook Pro Model A1398?)
can you use hdmi thunderbolt adapter to stream movie from amazon firestick
- Asked by Edward M from Wallisville
- 12 4, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (can you use hdmi thunderbolt adapter to stream movie from amazon firestick)
Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapte this work in New macbook 2015 ?
the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapte can use in NewMacbook 2015 ?
- Asked by Shao Fang S from Butterworth
- 07 5, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapte this work in New macbook 2015 ?)
If you are talking about a Macbook Pro, then yes because it has 2 thunderbolt ports on the left side. If you mean just a Macbook, then no as you will need an adapter to connect from USB-C to gigabit ethernet.
- Answered by Doug G from Dalton
- 07 10, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapte this work in New macbook 2015 ?)
Can I use this cable to hook up a Time Capsule to my iMac?
I have a new iMac with a 2 Tb internal drive. I wish to now buy a Time Capsule, would this be a good way of connection to give me faster bandwidth on my iMac?
- Asked by Gillian K from Maryborough
- 06 12, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this cable to hook up a Time Capsule to my iMac?)
This adapter is not necessary to connect your iMac to your Time Capsule for internet access and for your Time Machine backups. Time Capsule and iMac can be connected via Wifi. In almost all cases, though, using this adapter with a decent ethernet cable (I recommend at least a Cat 5e ethernet cable) connected hard-wired to your Time Capsule will not only improve your internet speed on your iMac, but also your Time Machine backup speed. The actual improvement in speed of these things will depend on your current internet speed and distance between the iMac and Time Capsule along with other possible interferences. In most cases, though, I would say the average user would notice a slight increase in performance, and the power user to notice a significant performance increase.
If you deal with backup up many large files and are a heavy-bandwidth user, I woul definitely recommend using this adapter with either a Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable.
- Answered by Jeffrey Y from Westmont
- 06 14, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this cable to hook up a Time Capsule to my iMac?)
Are there drivers needed for the thunderbolt to gigabit adapter?
- Asked by Michael C from Frackville
- 06 23, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Are there drivers needed for the thunderbolt to gigabit adapter?)
will this work for the new 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display?
Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter work to connect new imac into wall rg 45 outlet?
- Asked by Vincent S from Austin
- 07 23, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (will this work for the new 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display?)
Yes it will but the iMac already has a gigabit Ethernet port built in so unless you need two, don't worry.
- Answered by Jon C
- 12 9, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will this work for the new 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display?)
The only way to connect a hard drive directly to a Time Capsule is with a USB cable. If your G Raid has a USB port, the included USB cable can be used.
- Answered by Daniel W from Chico
- 01 11, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I want to connect my 4TB G Raid thunderbolt hard drive to time capsule to use it wirelessly at times?)
how do i connect to the internet with a thunderbolt ethernet adaptor?
There are lots of more detailed questions about using this adaptor to connect to other computers and to gaming devices. My question is more basic.
My USB ethernet adaptor works fine on my Macbook Air, but I cannot get the thunderbolt adaptor to work. Thanks.
- Asked by William M from Saint Petersburg
- 06 23, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i connect to the internet with a thunderbolt ethernet adaptor?)
will it do POE (power over ethernet)?
- Asked by Christopher Z from Glenshaw
- 02 20, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (will it do POE (power over ethernet)?)
can it be used on an ipad 2
perhaps an extremely dumb question, but I will fully admit that I am far from tech savy. I'm going abroad and ethernet is all that is available...can I use this for my ipad 2? Also, what do I need to get to get this thing to work?
- Asked by Christina S from Mason
- 05 17, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (can it be used on an ipad 2)
No. The ipad 2 does not have a thunderbolt connector (also do not confuse this with the lightning connector with newer iPads, which is different again). If you get yourself an Airport Express, that will plug into an ethernet port and provide wifi that the ipad 2 will be able to connect to.
- Answered by Ben W
- 05 21, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can it be used on an ipad 2)
Can I set up my airport time capsule direct to my I Mac
I've tried connecting direct from the airport time machine to the ethernet socket on my I Mac. I keep getting, no cable connection? I've also tried direct from the modem to the airport T M, Same result. I'm running out of options and need help
- Asked by Kenneth R
- 11 14, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I set up my airport time capsule direct to my I Mac)