Questions & Answers for Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter
110 Questions from the Community
imac mid 2010 and Thunderbolt port
Ciao to all.
I bought it and it works great with my MacBookPro17; but IF I plug into mi iMac27" Mid 2010, it is not recognized.
Someone can confirm me it's not possible to use it on my iMac mid 2010?
- Asked by Roberto B from Reggio Emilia
- 10 26, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (imac mid 2010 and Thunderbolt port)
That's because your 2010 iMac has a Displayport port, not a Thunderbolt port. They are physically similar, but your Displayport will only connect to video devices with Displayport connections.
- Answered by Nathan D from New Brighton
- 11 2, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (imac mid 2010 and Thunderbolt port)
Is this what I need to connect from an iMac mid 2010 to a new iMac late 2015 both running the same OS.
The iMac 27 mid2010 has a Fire wire port (Female)
The iMac 27 Late 2015 has a Thunderbolt connection
I have a Thunderbolt male to male cable
Is this adaptor what I need to accomplish the transfer of all data from iMac 2010 to iMac 2015
Thanks for any and all help.
Do I need an adapter to connect a FW400 to my thunderbolt firewire adapter
- Asked by Benjamin R from North Providence
- 01 3, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (Do I need an adapter to connect a FW400 to my thunderbolt firewire adapter)
This adapter converts FW800 to thunderbolt, you'll need a FW800 to FW 400 then
- Answered by Jonathan S
- 01 5, 17
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Do I need an adapter to connect a FW400 to my thunderbolt firewire adapter)
what adapters do i need to convert model sony/dcr-trv18 to mac 10;12;2 late 12
to dvc cassettes
- Asked by Lawrence F from Naperville
- 01 3, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (what adapters do i need to convert model sony/dcr-trv18 to mac 10;12;2 late 12)
The 2008 iMac does not support Target Display Mode (which works over a mini DisplayPort to mini DisplayPort cable, not Firewire) BUT as long as the computer is operable, you can use third party software to use it as an external display for your MacBook Pro. Look into the Air Display app.
- Answered by Kevin W from San Antonio
- 03 27, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can I use 2008 iMac with firewire as display for macbook pro with thunderbolt)
I use it with mine, so yes you can. Be wary of the bad connection with the adaptor though, it falls out with the slightest movement.
- Answered by Ashley E
- 02 24, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this cable with my sapphire pro40)
Can this be used to connect a Firepod audio interface to my iMac?
I looking to connet a Firepod (Firewire 400 audio interface) that I use to record music (with Garageband) to my laptop and a new iMac. Neither have Firewire so would this adaptor work? The Firepod has its own power so no problem there. Does anyone have experiences to share?
- Asked by Keith M
- 11 27, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used to connect a Firepod audio interface to my iMac?)
You will need a firewire 800 to 400 adapter. I have the same solutuion for my firewire audio interface
- Answered by Frederick P from Temple Hills
- 01 6, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can this be used to connect a Firepod audio interface to my iMac?)
will this adaptor allow an older Mac Pro early 2009 to work with a thunderbolt display?
old to new
- Asked by Roger O from Moreno Valley
- 11 6, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (will this adaptor allow an older Mac Pro early 2009 to work with a thunderbolt display?)
Will this work with the new Macbook Pro thunderbolt 3 (usb-c) ports?
- Asked by Jonathan S from Astoria
- 10 30, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work with the new Macbook Pro thunderbolt 3 (usb-c) ports?)
Can the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter be used for capturing video from DV recorders and/or cameras? Thanks in advance for any responseBest Answer:
I bought Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter for my Mac Book Pro with Retina Display. Then I realized it is FireWire 800 instead of FireWire 400. I bought the iWires FireWire 800 to FireWire 400 Cable and used it with Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter and was able to capture video from my Sony DV recorder using Apple Final Cut Pro X.
I think it is possible to use the Belkin FireWire 800/400 9-Pin to 4-Pin Cable as well, although I have not try it. Just make sure your DV recorder is using 4-pin or 6-pin FireWire port.
- Answered by Tang Fung W from Hong Kong
- 08 30, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter be used for capturing video from DV recorders and/or cameras? Thanks in advance for any response)
Will this work with an iPod (touch wheel), which has an FireWire 400 port, connected via this particular adapter and an adapter FireWire 800 to 400?Answer
Yes. You will need this thunderbolt to FW 800 adapter and a FW 800 to 400 adapter.
Just bought a Mac Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter to fit my PC Motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4). It did not work. The physical female end inside of the motherboard sits differently than the adapter Mac has. You should also be aware that the side of the packaging states "Compatible with Thunderbolt-equipped mac computers." It stinks, but I will be returning it and waiting for more compatible adapters for sure or maybe just have to keep PCIe Firewire card for my audio work. It still works fine; just wanted a different alternative.
- Answered by Adam B from Baton Rouge
- 05 11, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will the Apple Thunderbolt to firewire adapter work on PCs (Asus, for example) that have the Thunderbolt ports ?)
Can I use a FireWire adapter to link a Mac book Pro and an iPad air?
I have a faulty hard drive in my Mac book pro and need to recover data from it before swapping hard drives. I cannot perform a backup because I cannot get on the laptop. I don't have another Mac available but have an iPad air. Is it possible to use a FireWire adapter to make the iPad air a host and the Mac book pro the target to recover data from?
- Asked by Patrick S from Pacific Grove
- 04 16, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use a FireWire adapter to link a Mac book Pro and an iPad air?)
I use my RME fireface 400 via a firewire/thunderbolt adapter with my 15" macbook pro for Logic. This trick also works for my 2010 mac book air as well though I don't use logic there.
User forum at RME has notes about 800 use as well.
- Answered by William R from Amsterdam
- 02 6, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I am considering upgrading my Mac. Will my RME Fireface 800 audio interface work with the Firewire/Thunderbolt cable?)
it's actually really simple ... and I just had to figure this out recently myself after upgrading my IMAC. You just need a THUNDERBOLT to FIREWIRE adapter from Apple. I picked one up for $29.00 So, connect the new adapter to your iMAC ... connect the Firewire to the new adapter and the other end to your Canon HV30 (or camcorder with a DV output).
Just a heads up ... the end of the Thunderbolt adapter is a 9-pin Firewire (Firewire 800). You will need a 9-pin to 4-pin Firewire cable.
- Answered by Brian C from Collegeville
- 08 18, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What do I need to connect my Canon Vixia HV30 camera to thunderbolt on an iMac?)
will this work with Thunderbolt 2
- Asked by John P from Turramurra
- 10 18, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (will this work with Thunderbolt 2)
- Answered by Peggy D from Kent
- 03 22, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will this work with Thunderbolt 2)
Can this adapter be used to connect thunderbolt external hard drive to older mac with firewire 800?
I want to purchase a Thunderbolt external hard Drive to use with my new MacBook Pro with retina display. I also want to be able to use that hard drive with my older iMac that only has FireWire 800. Will this adapter allow me to connect the thunderbolt drive to the older iMac.
- Asked by Alexander E from Dix Hills
- 08 5, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this adapter be used to connect thunderbolt external hard drive to older mac with firewire 800?)
No. This device creates a FireWire port for the host Mac when connected to a Thunderbolt port. It needs software drivers to do this, and cannot function as a converter on it's own. Because of this, it cannot be used as a bridge to do the opposite. (That would be a completely different adapter, but as far as I know no one has made one yet.)
- Answered by John S from Notre Dame
- 08 8, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can this adapter be used to connect thunderbolt external hard drive to older mac with firewire 800?)
Can I download from my old digital camera onto my mac book pro retina 13 which uses firewire. Don't really understand what Thunderbolt to Firewire is
- Asked by Elizabeth P from Newquay
- 10 28, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I download from my old digital camera onto my mac book pro retina 13 which uses firewire. Don't really understand what Thunderbolt to Firewire is)
The thunderbolt to FireWire adapter is exactly that, an adapter that allows you to connect older FireWire drives and devices to a Mac which only has thunderbolt ports... If your MBP has FireWire on it, then you don't need this adapter. Although make sure your camera is 'FireWire 800' and not 'FireWire 400' as these use slightly different connectors.
trying to transfer from a 2009 iMac to a 2013 iMac with thunderbolt adaptor and firewire but it's not giving me that option, only ethernet or wifi...hAnswer
Try putting your iMac into Target Disk Mode. Shut it down, and turn it hold holding the "T" button when you hear the chime. The iMac will boot to a white screen with the Firewire symbol, effectively turning it into a giant external hard drive. On the new iMac, tell it to use the data found on a connected disk (rather than a network connection).
- Answered by Kevin W from San Antonio
- 03 27, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (trying to transfer from a 2009 iMac to a 2013 iMac with thunderbolt adaptor and firewire but it's not giving me that option, only ethernet or wifi...h)