Questions & Answers for Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter
110 Questions from the Community
how can I connect a firewire G-drive to a thunderbolt mac
the firewire plug is an older connector and won't work in the adaptor
- Asked by Kurt M from Smyrna
- 12 6, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (how can I connect a firewire G-drive to a thunderbolt mac)
Can I use the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter to daisy chain a FW 800 External HD to a Thunderbolt External HD?
I have a G-Tech Thunderbolt External HD which is connected via Thunderbolt to my iMac. Can I use an Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter to daisy chain from my G-Tech to a WD external FW 800 HD?
- Asked by Robert P from San Anselmo
- 09 10, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter to daisy chain a FW 800 External HD to a Thunderbolt External HD?)
Maybe 5-6 inches. It's just an adapter, you'll need a FireWire Cable to reach your device.
- Answered by John S from Notre Dame
- 08 8, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How long is it?)
Hi Nancy. This adapter has a 50/50 success rate correctly powering Bus Powered Firewire drives. Your drives are probably perfectly fine. It's most likely the adapter causing the issue. If your bus powered external portal drive has a power source, try finding a power adapter to power it and then connect it via this adapter to see if your results change. I have more Firewire Drives than I do Thunderbolt drives so this adapter is something I keep in my back pocket at all times. Hope this helps.
- Answered by Ellsworth R from North Hollywood
- 09 28, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Im using it to connect my exteral hardrive, but it wont work. Is it the adapter?)
do multiple TB-FW adapters create multiple FW busses?
I have a question concerning the use of multiple thunderbolt to firewire adapters. If I plug two of these into an iMac, and then a drive to each adapter, would those devices present themselves to the computer as being on two different firewire busses, or one unified firewire bus?
Some people on here have commented on how they have multiple drives daisy-chained to one adapter, that is not what I am asking about, as in that kind of situation you can easily saturate a single firewire buss.
My purpose here is to use Universal Audio's Satellite UAD product (firewire) in addition to a firewire audio interface. the Satellite prefers to be the sole device on a FW chain for best performance, so what I would like to do is use one adapter for a satellite, and one for a firewire audio interface, and have the two operate independently on their own busses.
Does anyone know if this is possible? Has anyone tried it?
- Asked by Henry R from Chandler
- 06 12, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (do multiple TB-FW adapters create multiple FW busses?)
Highly unlikely as it can't power my external G-TECH drive.
Time to upgrade to the Duet 2 to be safe...
- Answered by Chris B
- 10 16, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this adaptor allow me to connect the Apogee Duet (1st gen) to my Mac?)
I have 7 currently. The max is 63.
- Answered by Calvin H
- 08 18, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How many FW800 devices can be daisy chained up at the same time?)
Yes, it should be able to boot.
- Answered by Vinay P from Beaverton
- 09 9, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can a Mac (e.g. Macbook Pro Retina) boot from an external FW drive connected via Thunderbolt-FW adapter? Thanks :-))
Does this Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter connect to my Digidesign Digi 03 console which uses (male) firewire 1394-800
Does this Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter connect to my Avid Digidesign Digi 03 console (pro tools )which uses (male) firewire IEEE 1394-800
or is there a adapter I must purchase also and if so please could you name the adapter or give it's manufacturer so I can look it up.
What is the name of this firewire connector it doesn't look like 9 pin 6 pin or 4 pin ( 800- 600- 400) I need to know to buy an adapter to connect to my
- Asked by Melchi J from Rochester
- 11 10, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter connect to my Digidesign Digi 03 console which uses (male) firewire 1394-800)
I'm reiterating a question asked by several others. Does anyone know if the opposite adapter is available ie: firewire mac to thunder external drive?Answer
Their can be no adapter for what your asking because somewhere in the mix you have to have a Intel main board with a Thunderbolt port.
Can I use a FireWire adapter to link a Mac book Pro and an iPad air?
I have a faulty hard drive in my Mac book pro and need to recover data from it before swapping hard drives. I cannot perform a backup because I cannot get on the laptop. I don't have another Mac available but have an iPad air. Is it possible to use a FireWire adapter to make the iPad air a host and the Mac book pro the target to recover data from?
- Asked by Patrick S from Pacific Grove
- 04 16, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use a FireWire adapter to link a Mac book Pro and an iPad air?)
How can I make the older 27 inch display work with the new Mac Pro
I purchased the PCI to Thunderbolt converter
There does not seem to be a FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter available. I have the original FireWire not Firewire 800
- Asked by Erica T from Beaverton
- 11 17, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (How can I make the older 27 inch display work with the new Mac Pro)
How can I connect an early 2008 MBP with 400/800 Firewire ports to a new ultrawide monitor with only a Thunderbolt and/or Displayport available.
Have another laptop using the HDMI to HDMI on monitor, so need to plug cable into Firewire 400 or 800 in older MBP to either Thunderbolt or Displayport on Monitor, specifically the LG UM95 34UM95 34-Inch Screen.
No answers yet
can a mac mini 2015 work with a project mix fire wire 1394a.. ilink
can a mac mini thunderbolt drive work with a m-audio project mix 1394a [ilink] through an adapter .......thanks
- Asked by Horace M
- 12 7, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (can a mac mini 2015 work with a project mix fire wire 1394a.. ilink)
how do i connect macbook to thunderbolt lacie external drive
i have a lacie external drive connected to my mac pro. i now have the new 12" macbook and i want to connect this to the lace drive to download files. is it possible ? what cable / downloads do i need ?
- Asked by Simon B
- 06 18, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i connect macbook to thunderbolt lacie external drive)
Enough to Power my Audio sound card?
I am so excited with this release and I am not at home to check the power consumption of my sound card!
Would it be able to power my:
M-Audio 1814 FireWire sound card???
- Asked by John M
- 08 1, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Enough to Power my Audio sound card?)
Like the other anwser said: the adapter can provide 7W of power. The Fire standard (IEEE 1394) says that the max output is 30 V @ 1.5 amps so 45W. Seeing the size of your device and its complexity, there is a good chance it will require more than 7W of power and the provided adapter is 12V @ 1 amp so 12W (although an adapter is rarely used at full capacity). Unless they completely oversized their power adapter, you may need to plug it in.
This adapter looks much more built to access FireWire external harddrives that are either self powered of portable and thus less power hungry.
Let us know the results when you can!
- Answered by Felix A from Montreal
- 08 4, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Enough to Power my Audio sound card?)
Thunderbolt adapter to 800 firewire which has a 400 firewire adapter attached to 400 firewire external drive. Can I mount the 400 fw external drive?
Is the Thunderbolt port two-way in receiving as well as sending data? I have a new IMac with 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) and want to know if the Thunderbolt port is capable of mounting external drives?
No answers yet
What kind of wire do I need to connect my Canon GL2 Camera (mini DV) to Thunderbolt on an iMac for use with the Final Cut Pro X? Thanks
No answers yet