Questions & Answers for Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter
112 Questions from the Community
Can I use the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter to daisy chain a FW 800 External HD to a Thunderbolt External HD?
I have a G-Tech Thunderbolt External HD which is connected via Thunderbolt to my iMac. Can I use an Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter to daisy chain from my G-Tech to a WD external FW 800 HD?
- Asked by Robert P from San Anselmo
- 09 10, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter to daisy chain a FW 800 External HD to a Thunderbolt External HD?)
Maybe 5-6 inches. It's just an adapter, you'll need a FireWire Cable to reach your device.
- Answered by John S from Notre Dame
- 08 8, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How long is it?)
Hi Nancy. This adapter has a 50/50 success rate correctly powering Bus Powered Firewire drives. Your drives are probably perfectly fine. It's most likely the adapter causing the issue. If your bus powered external portal drive has a power source, try finding a power adapter to power it and then connect it via this adapter to see if your results change. I have more Firewire Drives than I do Thunderbolt drives so this adapter is something I keep in my back pocket at all times. Hope this helps.
- Answered by Ellsworth R from North Hollywood
- 09 28, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Im using it to connect my exteral hardrive, but it wont work. Is it the adapter?)
Highly unlikely as it can't power my external G-TECH drive.
Time to upgrade to the Duet 2 to be safe...
- Answered by Chris B
- 10 16, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this adaptor allow me to connect the Apogee Duet (1st gen) to my Mac?)
will this work with Thunderbolt 2
- Asked by John P from Turramurra
- 10 18, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (will this work with Thunderbolt 2)
- Answered by Peggy D from Kent
- 03 22, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will this work with Thunderbolt 2)
Can I download from my old digital camera onto my mac book pro retina 13 which uses firewire. Don't really understand what Thunderbolt to Firewire is
- Asked by Elizabeth P from Newquay
- 10 28, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I download from my old digital camera onto my mac book pro retina 13 which uses firewire. Don't really understand what Thunderbolt to Firewire is)
The thunderbolt to FireWire adapter is exactly that, an adapter that allows you to connect older FireWire drives and devices to a Mac which only has thunderbolt ports... If your MBP has FireWire on it, then you don't need this adapter. Although make sure your camera is 'FireWire 800' and not 'FireWire 400' as these use slightly different connectors.
Yes, it should be able to boot.
- Answered by Vinay P from Beaverton
- 09 9, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can a Mac (e.g. Macbook Pro Retina) boot from an external FW drive connected via Thunderbolt-FW adapter? Thanks :-))
Can I connect my external drive to my iMac using a thunderbolt to firewire adaptor?
I have an iMac 27 inch (mid 2011) with two thunderbolt slots. (1) Can i connect my WD "My Passport" external drive to my iMac using a thunderbolt to firewire adaptor; (2) Will that quicken the pace of data transfer (for backup, time-machine etc.)? (3) Am also planning on upgrading to a new iMac in a few months (when the new iMacs are announced), so will I be able to transfer all my data from my old iMac quicker using a thunderbolt connection from my external drive? Thanks kindly for any assistance.
- Asked by Ilan K from Toronto
- 02 1, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect my external drive to my iMac using a thunderbolt to firewire adaptor?)
Does this Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter connect to my Digidesign Digi 03 console which uses (male) firewire 1394-800
Does this Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter connect to my Avid Digidesign Digi 03 console (pro tools )which uses (male) firewire IEEE 1394-800
or is there a adapter I must purchase also and if so please could you name the adapter or give it's manufacturer so I can look it up.
What is the name of this firewire connector it doesn't look like 9 pin 6 pin or 4 pin ( 800- 600- 400) I need to know to buy an adapter to connect to my
- Asked by Melchi J from Rochester
- 11 10, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter connect to my Digidesign Digi 03 console which uses (male) firewire 1394-800)
I'm reiterating a question asked by several others. Does anyone know if the opposite adapter is available ie: firewire mac to thunder external drive?Answer
Their can be no adapter for what your asking because somewhere in the mix you have to have a Intel main board with a Thunderbolt port.
what adapters do i need to convert model sony/dcr-trv18 to mac 10;12;2 late 12
to dvc cassettes
- Asked by Lawrence F from Naperville
- 01 3, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (what adapters do i need to convert model sony/dcr-trv18 to mac 10;12;2 late 12)
No, this device is only designed to plug into the Thunderbolt port on a computer and allows you to plug Firewire devices into it. It does not work the other way around. You cannot connect it to the Firewire port of your computer and use an external Thunderbolt device.
- Answered by Lee I from Pacific Palisades
- 12 12, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I go from a firewire port to a thunderbolt device using this product?)
will this adaptor allow an older Mac Pro early 2009 to work with a thunderbolt display?
old to new
- Asked by Roger O from Moreno Valley
- 11 6, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (will this adaptor allow an older Mac Pro early 2009 to work with a thunderbolt display?)
What kind of wire do I need to connect my Canon GL2 Camera (mini DV) to Thunderbolt on an iMac for use with the Final Cut Pro X? Thanks
No answers yet
The adapter steps you down from Thunderbolt to FW800, providing you have the proper FireWire cable to go from there to your camera you should notice your camera interact with FCPX or FCP7 just as it did via straight FireWire.
FW800 9pin to FW400 4pin probably the cable you'll need as FireWire 400 4pin is the most common camera FW interface, unless you have a higher end camera system that connects via FW400 6pin.
hope this helps!
- Answered by John Jay W from Ardmore
- 08 4, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this let me connect my firewire video camera to final cut pro?)
Is this what I need to connect from an iMac mid 2010 to a new iMac late 2015 both running the same OS.
The iMac 27 mid2010 has a Fire wire port (Female)
The iMac 27 Late 2015 has a Thunderbolt connection
I have a Thunderbolt male to male cable
Is this adaptor what I need to accomplish the transfer of all data from iMac 2010 to iMac 2015
Thanks for any and all help.
I use it with mine, so yes you can. Be wary of the bad connection with the adaptor though, it falls out with the slightest movement.
- Answered by Ashley E
- 02 24, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this cable with my sapphire pro40)
Can I use a FireWire adapter to link a Mac book Pro and an iPad air?
I have a faulty hard drive in my Mac book pro and need to recover data from it before swapping hard drives. I cannot perform a backup because I cannot get on the laptop. I don't have another Mac available but have an iPad air. Is it possible to use a FireWire adapter to make the iPad air a host and the Mac book pro the target to recover data from?
- Asked by Patrick S from Pacific Grove
- 04 16, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use a FireWire adapter to link a Mac book Pro and an iPad air?)