Questions & Answers for Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter
108 Questions from the Community
Can I use this device to download data from an old digital camera with a FireWire port to a new PC laptop with a thunderbolt port?
I have an old CANON GL2 digital video camera which has a Firewire port used to down load video. I have a new PC laptop computer that came with a thunderbolt port but no firewire port so I now have no way to download my videos to my computer for editing. Can I download video from the camera to the new PC laptop using the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter?
Thank you very much.Best Answer:
The thunderbolt adapter is for FireWire 800.
If you have FireWire 400 (the original), then you might be able to use the Belkin FireWire 800/400 9-Pin/6-Pin Cable (2 m/6.6 ft.) which is available from Apple.
- Answered by Donald H from Fayetteville
- 12 31, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this device to download data from an old digital camera with a FireWire port to a new PC laptop with a thunderbolt port?)
I just tried with my Mamiya dm22. You can only read what is on the card. no dithering . I am going to have to return both the Mac Air and the adapter, That was the only reason I bought it. I would have avoided wasting my time if anyone at Apple would have been clearer on the limit of the adapter.
- Answered by Walter T from Las Vegas
- 11 8, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Medium Format Camera?)
Could I use this adapter to connect my Digidesign 003 factory to my iMac thunderbolt connect or would it lack sufficient power?
I have a FW 400 device that I would love to use with my MacBook Air. Does anyone know if a FW 800 to FW 400 adapter will work with this adapter?
- Asked by Robert T from Long Beach
- 08 1, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a FW 400 device that I would love to use with my MacBook Air. Does anyone know if a FW 800 to FW 400 adapter will work with this adapter?)
I tested such a device with this adapter, and it worked well.
I plugged an audio interface, called the PreSonus FireBox, into a MacBook's Thunderbolt port. It's a FireWire 400 device.
I already had a FW 800 to FW 400 adapter cable, and I plugged that into Apple's FireWire-to-Thunderbolt adapter.
Will this be able to connect a presonus fire-studio to a new mb-pro
- Asked by Stephen D from Rockville Centre
- 12 4, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this be able to connect a presonus fire-studio to a new mb-pro)
What kind of wire do I need to connect my Canon GL2 Camera (mini DV) to Thunderbolt on an iMac for use with the Final Cut Pro X? Thanks
No answers yet
how do i connect macbook to thunderbolt lacie external drive
i have a lacie external drive connected to my mac pro. i now have the new 12" macbook and i want to connect this to the lace drive to download files. is it possible ? what cable / downloads do i need ?
- Asked by Simon B
- 06 18, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i connect macbook to thunderbolt lacie external drive)
Will it power the FW ports at back of Cinema Display?
With the new Mac Mini (2014) no longer having FW, can the FW ports at the back of my 20" Cinema Display (Alu) be powered via this adapter? The display has 2USB2 and 2 FW400 ports at back and would be connected using Apple's HDMI-DVI, the USB cable plugs directly into the Mini's USB3 port but for FW I'd have to use this adapter.
- Asked by Francesco P from Montreal
- 10 19, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Will it power the FW ports at back of Cinema Display?)
Is this enough to power a Digital Camera Back like PhaseOne or Hasselbald?
Majority of medium format camera digital backs equip with Firewire connectivity instead of USB 3.0, is this adapter capable to be used to connect and power a digital bak of that kind, so as the image transfer? For brand like Phase One, Leaf or Hasselbald?
- Asked by Robin C from New York
- 08 3, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this enough to power a Digital Camera Back like PhaseOne or Hasselbald?)
i have tried, couldn't power my phaseone P65+ for files transfer, but when you set to use the battery on digital back, transfer works fine.
- Answered by Xiaofan S from New York
- 08 8, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is this enough to power a Digital Camera Back like PhaseOne or Hasselbald?)
I have a sony handicam dcr-trv460 ntsc. I would like to transfer tapes to my new macbook air. what cable do i need? ilink on handicam to thunderbolt.
I can't find anything specific to tell me what I need. The pictures and diagrams look like they won't fit the thurnderbolt connection. Everything I see has squared corners. ....thanks.
No answers yet
Wondering why my Firewire cables don't fit into the Firewire end of the Adapter. Is there more than 1 kind of Firewire cable?
- Asked by Alan B from New York
- 12 5, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Wondering why my Firewire cables don't fit into the Firewire end of the Adapter. Is there more than 1 kind of Firewire cable?)
The Firewire 400 plug has an almost rounded top; the other end being square corners. The Firewire 800 plug is rectangular with square corners all around.
The 800 is also called a 9-pin, and the 400 (the big on on the back of your computer) is called a 6-pin.
There is also a mini plug that often goes with small video cameras, which is a 4-pin. I don't know if the 4-pins can be two speeds, or not.
- Answered by Bob F from Santa Barbara
- 12 11, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Wondering why my Firewire cables don't fit into the Firewire end of the Adapter. Is there more than 1 kind of Firewire cable?)
How can I make the older 27 inch display work with the new Mac Pro
I purchased the PCI to Thunderbolt converter
There does not seem to be a FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter available. I have the original FireWire not Firewire 800
- Asked by Erica T from Beaverton
- 11 17, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (How can I make the older 27 inch display work with the new Mac Pro)
No, this device is only designed to plug into the Thunderbolt port on a computer and allows you to plug Firewire devices into it. It does not work the other way around. You cannot connect it to the Firewire port of your computer and use an external Thunderbolt device.
- Answered by Lee I from Pacific Palisades
- 12 12, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I go from a firewire port to a thunderbolt device using this product?)
what do i need to connect my panasonic pv-gs85 camera to thunderbolt on macbook pro
i'm hoping to transfer mini cassette video onto my macbook pro in order to create movies.
- Asked by Chris J from Calgary
- 08 29, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (what do i need to connect my panasonic pv-gs85 camera to thunderbolt on macbook pro)
The adapter steps you down from Thunderbolt to FW800, providing you have the proper FireWire cable to go from there to your camera you should notice your camera interact with FCPX or FCP7 just as it did via straight FireWire.
FW800 9pin to FW400 4pin probably the cable you'll need as FireWire 400 4pin is the most common camera FW interface, unless you have a higher end camera system that connects via FW400 6pin.
hope this helps!
- Answered by John Jay W from Ardmore
- 08 4, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this let me connect my firewire video camera to final cut pro?)
mac book pro retina and sound cards
I bought the new macbook pro retina and I NEED to plug in my sound card which is the profire 2626 with a fire wire 400 output.
Can anybody help me to find the best solution?
- Asked by Simone H from Venezuela
- 11 29, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (mac book pro retina and sound cards)
Yes, that is the intention of this adapter.
- Answered by Kevin W from San Antonio
- 03 27, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use adapter from iMac with Thunderbolt to an external ac powered Firewire hard drive?)