Questions & Answers for Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter
110 Questions from the Community
Can this adapter be used to transfer my files from a Late 2009 IMac to a brand new fusion IMac. I have a firewire 800 cable.
I am getting a new IMac 27" with fusion drive. I would like to transfer my files from my Late 2009 27" iMac. Can I use the firewire to thunderbolt adapter for this purpose?
- Asked by Jose O from Coral Gables
- 12 5, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this adapter be used to transfer my files from a Late 2009 IMac to a brand new fusion IMac. I have a firewire 800 cable.)
My macbook air used to work with my monitor. Now I cannot get it to work with any monitor using HDMI or the pin connections. Can these ports go bad?
- Asked by Kris G from Ballston Spa
- 11 13, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (My macbook air used to work with my monitor. Now I cannot get it to work with any monitor using HDMI or the pin connections. Can these ports go bad?)
Will this let a FW800 HD work under Windows 7 / BootCamp on a MBP Retina?
Has anyone tried to connect one (or more) external hard-drives with FW800 ports through this adapter to a MacBook Pro (Retina) running Windows 7 under BootCamp?
I have quite a load of specific Windows software that does not exist under Mac OS X, and more than a wheelbarrow of files stored on LaCie 1 or 2 TB Quadra hard-drives with FW800 ports.
I'm considering to update my current MBP15 to a new MBP15(Retina) and I need to be sure that it does what I need before I order it: money-back-guarantee isn't an option as my employer sources most of our hardware through a lease contractor.
- Asked by Daniele T from Ferrara
- 08 9, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this let a FW800 HD work under Windows 7 / BootCamp on a MBP Retina?)
Speed difference between FireWire 800 converted to thunderbolt and USB2
I just bought an iMac and I'm trying to access an older array I have that has either a USB2 connector or a FireWire 800 connector.
My question is this is- will the FireWire 800 used in connection with this thunderbolt to FireWire adapter be faster than the direct USB to connection or should I just stay with a USB2 and if so how much faster?
- Asked by John D from Novato
- 05 16, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Speed difference between FireWire 800 converted to thunderbolt and USB2)
FireWire will definitely outperform a USB 2.0 connection. USB 2.0 had serious bottlenecking issues that made it terrible for large file transfers. Even with the conversion from Thunderbolt to FireWire, Thunderbolt enough speed to provide full FireWire 800 speeds to the port. USB 2.0 had a max speed of 480Mbps (Megabits, meaning real world 60 Megabytes per second), where as early version of FireWire 800 provided 786Mbps (98MBps). Overall you should get better performance through FireWire to transfer large amounts of data. USB 2.0 rarely ever reached it's full output due to cheap parts being used in hard drives and flash drives that maxed out and underperformed.
- Answered by Edward V from Brampton
- 07 11, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Speed difference between FireWire 800 converted to thunderbolt and USB2)
Why are there 2 firewire adapters? MD464zm/a and MD464ll/a
What are the differences/similarities between these 2 adapters?
I am trying to connect to a digital audio mixer, and it's a little fussy.
- Asked by Victor G from St. Adolphe
- 12 4, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Why are there 2 firewire adapters? MD464zm/a and MD464ll/a)
Evidently the MD464zm/a was an early version, it's not available any more.
- Answered by David L from Redlands
- 08 11, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Why are there 2 firewire adapters? MD464zm/a and MD464ll/a)
Two screens on macbookair using mavericks
Can Mavericks support two external monitors on macbook air?
Is there a thunderbolt splitter that I can use to connect two external monitors to macbook air?
I know I can use Apple TV but not looking for that solution
- Asked by Yitzhak K from Santa Clara
- 10 31, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Two screens on macbookair using mavericks)
Can i use this cable with migration assistant?
- Asked by Jonathan C from Mount Pleasant
- 11 7, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use this cable with migration assistant?)
mac book pro retina and sound cards
I bought the new macbook pro retina and I NEED to plug in my sound card which is the profire 2626 with a fire wire 400 output.
Can anybody help me to find the best solution?
- Asked by Simone H from Venezuela
- 11 29, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (mac book pro retina and sound cards)