Questions & Answers for Apple USB SuperDrive
528 Questions from the Community
Will this item work with a MacBook?
- Asked by Cortney R from Kosciusko
- 07 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this item work with a MacBook?)
Yes, with a USB-C to USB adapter.
- Answered by Dave J
- 12 8, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this item work with a MacBook?)
it would've been very nice if you could do that, but unfortunately it's not possible as of yet. you have to stick to an external regular DVD player
- Answered by Ciprian L from Manchester
- 12 11, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I attach a SuperDrive to a tv and use it as DVD player (no MacBook involved))
In my new Mac Pro retina... Could I read the DVDs from another regions, or only in the country when I purchase the SuperDrive?
I travel a lot and I have different formats and regions in my DVDs collection and I want to know if the SuperDrive can read all the regions...
In my old laptop I can, but I'm not sure with SuperDrive, can anyone help me?
- Asked by Barbara W from Veracruz
- 07 24, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (In my new Mac Pro retina... Could I read the DVDs from another regions, or only in the country when I purchase the SuperDrive?)
No answers yet
Can you use this with the new Mac mini?
- Asked by Rita P from Gibbsboro
- 09 13, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you use this with the new Mac mini?)
Apple Superdrive question With Parallels Desktop 8
I am planning on getting one of the new iMac's early next year.
Now, the new iMac's do not have an optical drive (like the Macbook Air, Macbook Pro Retina Display). I'm planning on getting the Apple Superdrive and also I'm going to be purchasing Windows 7 and Parallels Desktop 8 to install on my iMac.
I know it isn't possible to try it with the new iMac's yet, but I was wondering if anyone has tried or knows if its possible to use the Apple Superdrive with the Macbook Air Macbook Pro Retina Display when running Windows 7 through Parallels Desktop 8, basically does the Apple Superdrive show up in Windows 7 and are you able to read, burn CD's, DVD's in Windows 7 with the Apple Superdrive?
Thanks in advance.
- Asked by David T
- 11 11, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Apple Superdrive question With Parallels Desktop 8)
music/audio cd on superdrive
planning to purchase the superdrive. can it burn audio cd's? and what program do i use to burn my mp3s to audio cd's? itunes sufficient?
- Asked by Edward Jonathan C from Pattaya
- 12 2, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (music/audio cd on superdrive)
Yes, it can burn all types of CDs and DVDs (not sure about DVD-RAMs, but those are not very much used anyway). You can use iTunes' internal burning facility or a third party software, like Roxio's Toast Titanium
- Answered by Ciprian L from Manchester
- 12 11, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (music/audio cd on superdrive)
Almost certainly not unless you're running Windows on your MacBook Air.
But if you are running a suitable version of Windows in a Boot Camp partition or in a virtual machine on the Air, you'll almost certainly be able to play a PC video game from the SuperDrive. I've run lots of PC software on Windows 8 running under VirtualBox on a MacBook Air. Game software should be fine, too (although many games don't run well in virtual machines, but fine in a Boot Camp partition).
- Answered by Michael G from Campbell
- 06 15, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the superdrive play PC video games on a Macbook air?)
Is it safe to have the SuperDrive under a 2014 Mac Pro desktop?
It'd be nice on my desk to have the Super Drive with my Late 2014 Mac Pro (cylinder tower) sitting on top of it as A) It looks good and B) it saves room considering the Super Drive has such a short cable (I know I could use an extension but then my desk is messier and the drive is further from the computer.
I just worry if the Super Drive has had any weight tests done on it. It's a good build with the nice metal case.
- Asked by Daniel W
- 06 9, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it safe to have the SuperDrive under a 2014 Mac Pro desktop?)
short and sweet - yes.
longer version - put the cd in the drive, iTunes will recognise it and probably start to play it (depending on your settings). Stop it playing, choose 'import' and bob's you uncle... You will have the cd imported in the format of your choice into your iTunes library.
- Answered by Chris H
- 09 4, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does superdrive when connected to iMac enable CD's to be converted to mp3's)
2009 iMac and USB superdrive?
The internal superdrive in my 24-inch, Early 2009 iMac w/2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor has stopped working reliably (and most times, has stopped working at all). Was hoping that adding this external USB superdrive would keep my system limping along, however looking at the system requirements seems to have dashed my dreams of being able to continue to use my iMac in the manner for which it was purchased. Would like to know if I am out of luck here, or is there an alternative?
- Asked by Joseph W from Lynn
- 11 25, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (2009 iMac and USB superdrive?)
I just added a usb superdrive to my 2009 iMac 24", and like the others it did not work, as for the reasons given.
it seems that they only work with some macs.
Well looking round the net i found information on things to try nothing worked.
I then found a bit on a sudo command you put in with terminal.
ok your new superdrive dvd/cd rom want work on you mac?
it seems apple made this drive but its not back ward comparable with all macs.
Im told it works with 4 macs, that shipped without internal dvd/cd rom and a mac mini or two..
Well I found this in terminal type
sudo nvram boot-args="mbasd=1" Hit return
I rebooted my iMac and as the iMac was starting up it took the DVD that I had been trying to put in but all it did was push it back out.
Now with this little line of code script my USB superdrive is now working just fine.
I don't know much about this script code apart from what I read on the net, all I know it worked for me with no trouble I have wrote a few DVDS and wrote to a few re-writable CD and DVD with out any thing bad
hope it helps some of you out.
- Answered by Alan W
- 12 16, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (2009 iMac and USB superdrive?)
Short and simple answer is YES,
I have iMac (late 2012) and recently bought the Superdrive from USA on a trip plugged in and it just worked :)
What connector is needed to use with the new MacBook Pro released yesterday?
- Asked by Melanie H from Jacksonville
- 10 28, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (What connector is needed to use with the new MacBook Pro released yesterday?)
can i use this with my macbook pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)?
- Asked by Jordan D from Cudahy
- 12 27, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use this with my macbook pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)?)
If your MacBook Pro came with an internal optical drive, then NO it won't work.
- Answered by Larry H from Tacoma
- 04 25, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i use this with my macbook pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)?)
No, it is not. Only DVDs and CDs.
- Answered by Heath M from Orlando
- 11 12, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is it Blueray compatible?)
I have a Verizon WiFi Router hooked to my TV. Will the Airport Extreme Router cause any problems with the Cable Router?
I have a Samsung HDTV (2009 Model) and use Verizon for Cable. So I have a Cable Router for my Mac and iPads and iPhones.
I'm confused about the compatability of both routers. Can they both be connected to my TV simultaneously and work independently? Will I need to be switching back and forth on my TV Screen between HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 Router Connections?
- Asked by John R from Englewood
- 06 14, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a Verizon WiFi Router hooked to my TV. Will the Airport Extreme Router cause any problems with the Cable Router?)
DOES APPLE USB SUPERDRIVE CONTAIN A LITHIUM BATTERY
I WANT TO SEND SUPERDRIVE AS A GIFT OVER SEAS AND NEED TO KNOW BEFORE SHIPPING
- Asked by Leah M from Lafayette
- 09 22, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (DOES APPLE USB SUPERDRIVE CONTAIN A LITHIUM BATTERY)
No, its powered via the usb connection
- Answered by John T
- 09 29, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (DOES APPLE USB SUPERDRIVE CONTAIN A LITHIUM BATTERY)
How long is the usb cord on the Super Drive?
- Asked by Sean C from Greenbrae
- 06 22, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (How long is the usb cord on the Super Drive?)
Exactly 1 foot. And it needs to be plugged into the computer itself - I tried plugging it into a powered USB hub and I got a message that I needed to plug DIRECTLY into the computer.
- Answered by Matthew J from Chicago
- 07 23, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How long is the usb cord on the Super Drive?)
Superdrive and Apple wired keyboard
Does the Superdrive work if plugged into the Apple wired extended keyboard? I.e., does the wired keyboard support the Superdrive?
- Asked by David C from Menlo Park
- 12 23, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Superdrive and Apple wired keyboard)
The SuperDrive must be directly plugged into the computer's USB port, and cannot be used if connected to a USB hub.
- Answered by Michel C from Lake Mary
- 07 17, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Superdrive and Apple wired keyboard)