Questions & Answers for Lightning to USB Camera Adapter
184 Questions from the Community
Can I use this to connect a USB mouse to my iphone?
My touch screen is broken and I can't access my photos so I want to be able to connect a mouse so that i can backup my photos
- Asked by Gemma S from Sydney
- 02 12, 19
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this to connect a USB mouse to my iphone?)
Can I use Lightning to USB Camera Adapter to connect USB keyboard to iPhone?
- Asked by Jenny K from Sacramento
- 01 30, 19
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use Lightning to USB Camera Adapter to connect USB keyboard to iPhone?)
Maybe, probably not though. If you want to use it for connecting to MIDI sources get the Lighting to USB 3 adapter, because that one has both USB and lightning. And it uses the lighting port for supplying extra power to devices/peripherals. This is the part of the description of the Lightning to USB 3, "Then you can connect USB peripherals like hubs, Ethernet adapters, audio/MIDI interfaces, and card readers for CompactFlash, SD, microSD, and more."
- Answered by Robert M from Bensenville
- 12 4, 18
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will this work with iOS 12 and hook up to midi device. thanks)
Nikon d7200 and lightning to usb adapter
I have a problem with cable connection between Nikon d 7200 and lightning to usb cable . I cant open or download any picture. The connection stops.
I saw this “error” about 3 monts ago, i never had that problem before. I dont know what to do, becouse i need Raw pictures and i cant get them with Wifi.
- Asked by Ester F
- 11 10, 18
- Flag as inappropriate (Nikon d7200 and lightning to usb adapter)
Compatible with Nikon d700
I would like to import photos from my Nikon D700 when in the field. knowing Apple's limitations has anyone successfully imported photos using this connector with Nikons?
- Asked by Robert B
- 12 11, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Compatible with Nikon d700)
Yes (D700). And using iPhoto with my iPad mini (running iOS7), I can import both RAW and JPEG file formats.
- Answered by Giles N
- 10 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Compatible with Nikon d700)
will this connect with an ipad 2
- Asked by Gurbhag D
- 02 21, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (will this connect with an ipad 2)
I use it to connect a ifi Micro iDSD DAC to my iPhone 5s so it should work with a iPad mini....sounds great with hi res audio files.
- Answered by Steven L
- 08 8, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this adapter to connect a DAC to my iPad mini?)
I've tried it with a newly bought SanDisk Dual USB Drive 16GB on iPhone 5S and it gives me the error message "Cannot Use Device USB2.0-CRW: The connected device requires too much power." Tried with other type of USB flash drive and gives me the same error.
- Answered by Mohd Rukhairy A from Seri Kembangan
- 12 21, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I open documents (from a flash drive) with the lightning to usb camera adapter?)
Can this be used to connect CME Xkey midi mobile keyboard to iPad mini 2?
Manufacturer(CME) say yes, but I'm still not convinced after all it is a camera usb adapter. Apple sell Xkey in USA but not UK so I'm not getting too far.
Can I connect this to an iPad and connect a wireless keyboard to the usb port?
- Asked by Sondré S from Quezon City
- 04 4, 18
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect this to an iPad and connect a wireless keyboard to the usb port?)
The last time this question was asked (in 2013) there was no answer - can I transfer PDF files via USB with this accessory like Android?
- Asked by Hitesh D from Sacramento
- 03 10, 18
- Flag as inappropriate (The last time this question was asked (in 2013) there was no answer - can I transfer PDF files via USB with this accessory like Android?)
No answers yet
Can the lighting power input be used to power USB devices and passive hub?
I can not figure out the full function of the ligning power input on the camera adaptor?
In description the port is used to power the phone/Ipad.
But I figured out that I can use a midi keyborad or an audio interface with the adaptor. It only works if I use a power source connected to the lightning port (Ipad charger). It seems like the power adaptor also power the slave device (MIDI or audio interface etc.).
Does it mean that I can power a usb hub through the lightning port on the camera adaptor or do the lightning port only charge the iphone/Ipad?
- Asked by Keld V
- 01 30, 18
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the lighting power input be used to power USB devices and passive hub?)
Can this be used to connect MIDI devices for music apps?
I have the old camera connection kit for connecting MIDI devices to control Garageband etc. will this work the same way?
- Asked by Paul W
- 11 3, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used to connect MIDI devices for music apps?)
Could this be used as a general usb port like on a computer or is it just for cameras?
For example, would you be able to connect an external hard drive to the iPad to transfer movies/videos?
- Asked by Kathleen T
- 10 30, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Could this be used as a general usb port like on a computer or is it just for cameras?)
Still testing what will/won't connect with this to my iPad Mini, but anything that needs power from USB (ie card reader, thumb drive or mini USB HDD) comes up with a message 'the connected USB device requires too much power' and does not connect.
Canon 50D connects fine, and appears as 'Camera' in photos app, and allows import into a separate 'imported' album (not camera roll.
can you connect a fitbit to the ipod with this connector?
I want to plug in my fitbit connector usb thing to my ipad and I was wondering if this will work?
- Asked by Sarah H from Cave City
- 09 17, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (can you connect a fitbit to the ipod with this connector?)
- Answered by Meg S from Philadelphia
- 11 26, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can you connect a fitbit to the ipod with this connector?)
Work to connect MIDI Keyboard to iPhone 5/5s?
I have a MIDI keyboard that can use USB instead of a MIDI cable. Will this adapter allow me to plug the keyboard into my iPhone and use in GarageBand?
- Asked by Dustin P from Huber Heights
- 10 8, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Work to connect MIDI Keyboard to iPhone 5/5s?)
lightning USB camera adapter iphone 5S compatibility
At the Apple store in Bridgewater, NJ today, I asked what I needed to connect my Canon 30D to my iPhone 5S and my iPad Air. I was told and sold a Lightning to USB Camera Adapter.
When I got home, I plugged the camera and phone together. The phone reads Cannot Use Device: Canon Digital Camera: The connected device is not supported.
The connection with the iPad Air works.
Both iPhone 5S and iPad Air have latest iOS.
Any way to make this work for the 5S or should I return the cable?
- Asked by Joseph A from Long Valley
- 08 25, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (lightning USB camera adapter iphone 5S compatibility)
Hi Joseph, It will now work. With IOS 9.2 Apple has brought the capability to directly transfer photos , videos etc from Digicam to any iphone using the lightning port (Read iphone 5 and above). Just update to ios 9.2 and enjoy
- Answered by Neel A from Bangalore
- 12 12, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (lightning USB camera adapter iphone 5S compatibility)
Could I use the adapter to catch the hdmi output from Camera ? (for live streaming purpose)
Camera -> hdmi recorder -> usb 2.0 output -> lightening to usb adapter ?