Questions & Answers for Lightning to VGA Adapter
70 Questions from the Community
Can I use this for a connection from a security system to my iMAC as a monitor?
I am looking at a security system (Night Owl 8-Channel HD Analog DVR with 1TB HDD, 4 1080p Cameras with 100' Night Vision) and would like to hookup my iMAC as the monitor. It has 1 VGA Output (TV/Monitor) and a HDMI Output. Thank you
- Asked by Peter B from Fresno
- 10 2, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this for a connection from a security system to my iMAC as a monitor?)
Does the VGA adapter work on older tv's?
- Asked by Elizabeth M from Bronx
- 03 24, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the VGA adapter work on older tv's?)
is it compatible with the iPad Air?
- Asked by Becca H
- 01 21, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (is it compatible with the iPad Air?)
Yes. I use it with my iPad Air for Keynote presentations at seminars.
- Answered by Sandy C from Kansas City
- 01 24, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is it compatible with the iPad Air?)
Can I use the lightning to VGA in the reverse so that my iPad w/Retina Display is my projector?
My laptop is my primary academic device. It would help in note-taking if I was able to occasionally turn my highly portable iPad into an extension of my laptop's screen. Thank you :)
- Asked by Leah H from Lincoln
- 09 26, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the lightning to VGA in the reverse so that my iPad w/Retina Display is my projector?)
No, you cannot. It only works for video output.
There is, however, an app called Air Display from Avatron Software that claims to be able to do exactly this, with no additional hardware necessary. Search the App Store for it.
- Answered by Marc M from Arcata
- 11 2, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use the lightning to VGA in the reverse so that my iPad w/Retina Display is my projector?)
Has anyone used this with slideshark? Can you use notes view and have just the slide view projected, or does it ONLY mirror the ipad?
SlideShark app allows for a "notes view", where I am supposed to be able to see my notes on my ipad, but audience only sees the actual "slide view". I want to know if anybody else has tried this. Does it work?
- Asked by Barbara F from Indianapolis
- 01 19, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Has anyone used this with slideshark? Can you use notes view and have just the slide view projected, or does it ONLY mirror the ipad?)
SlideShark gives you the option to view your PowerPoint presentation (including all graphics and animations) in full screen or in a notes view where you can see the slide notes, a roll of upcoming slides and a window showing the slide playing through with all the animations (still controlled by clicks/taps), a bit like presenter view on PowerPoint. When you connect your iPad to a second monitor, the second monitor will only ever show the full screen presentation show, but you have the option on the iPad to have a mirror (full screen) or presenter view. You can't see the SlideShark menu on the second screen either, so you can move between different presentations really easily.
For me, it's a superb app and one of the main reasons for getting an iPad. It works really seamlessly, and you can use your iPhone or iPod Touch as a remote too, so you don't even need to hold the iPad.
What cord is needed for a mini to connect to a LCD projector
- Asked by Amy V from Chicago
- 01 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (What cord is needed for a mini to connect to a LCD projector)
Lighting to VGA Adapter
- Answered by Albert P from Scappoose
- 02 26, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What cord is needed for a mini to connect to a LCD projector)
Can I use a lightning to 30 pin adapter so that I don't have to replace the cables that I have used for mirroring my iPad 3 to TV and projector screenBest Answer:
Apple has stated that the 30-pin to Lightning adapter doesn't support video out, so that would imply that no, the 30-pin adapter and the 30-pin VGA would not work.
Yes and no. You will notice people complaining about not being able to view iTunes content and the reason for this has nothing to do with their cable and everything to do with their display/tv/projector. A number of years back, something called HDCP was introduced to prevent people copying HD content. In order to view HDCP content, you need a compliant screen, it has nothing to do with the cable. If your screen/tv is not HDCP compliant, you will not be able to view content purchased on iTunes. Most newer TVs and Screens should be HDCP compliant but if you have an older one, it may be an issue.
- Answered by Athol H from Port Melbourne
- 01 5, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will this device allow me to download movies on my iPad and connect to my TV for viewing)
Only if the app you use supports video playback. Some file browsers (mainly the free ones) let you copy, paste, move, etc., but don't actually let you open the files.
- Answered by Matthew L from Pittsburgh
- 10 1, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will I be able to play films from my storage device using my file browser app on my iPad to a TV using this ?)
Starting with the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S, everything is mirrored on the projector or monitor. So if you have the iPad with Retina Display, iPad Mini, iPhone 5/5S/5C (which are the only models this adapter is currently supported by) you will see apps, videos, pictures, and even apps that don't necessarily support TV Out.
The iPod touch 5th generation is also supported, which I believe also has the video mirroring feature.
- Answered by Matthew L from Pittsburgh
- 10 1, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does lightning to vga adapter show all apps ?on a projector or just the main apple and video apps)
Can RCA adaptor be connected the VGA adaptor for video to old tv
- Asked by Kristi S from Ankeny
- 01 15, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can RCA adaptor be connected the VGA adaptor for video to old tv)
Yes, but you'll have to use the headphone jack for audio. Search for "VGA to composite video adapter" for the add on piece you'll need as well as the lightning to VGA adapter.
- Answered by Steve S from Reading
- 02 4, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can RCA adaptor be connected the VGA adaptor for video to old tv)
Does this adapter work for Honda CR-V 2016 for "Honda Link"
- Asked by Jon V from Amherst
- 05 26, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this adapter work for Honda CR-V 2016 for "Honda Link")
Is there a way to toggle the projector on and off using the Lightning to VGA adapter to connect iPad to projector?
I would like tot be able to switch he projector image off and on without having to plug and unplug the VGA adapter. I figured there was a control on the iPad for this but I have not found it. Thanks.
- Asked by Gary B from Goreville
- 06 9, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a way to toggle the projector on and off using the Lightning to VGA adapter to connect iPad to projector?)
I can envision two methods. I use an A/B switch that I press to access my PC thus if the PC is on whatever appears on the PC is projected. The option w/o the PC could be press the sleep switch on your Apple device and assume it goes dark that is what shows on the screen.
- Answered by Martin S from Highland Park
- 06 9, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is there a way to toggle the projector on and off using the Lightning to VGA adapter to connect iPad to projector?)
Will this device allow me to connect to my PC and download a movie I've made in I-movie?
I want to make I-movies on my new i-pad. However, I have a PC, not an Apple Computer. So, once I've made an i-movie on my i-pad, how do I burn a DVD?
- Asked by Chaunte M from Roseville
- 01 17, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this device allow me to connect to my PC and download a movie I've made in I-movie?)
Is the mirroring option on when you first time use Lightning to vga adapter? Or should it turned on somewhere?
Having trouble to use live TVs on vga. After awhile iPad and vga display goes black but sound is coming from my iPad mini. After disconnect the vga and applying it back the screens comes to life but again after few 10-20 seconds the screens goes black again.
Does the iPad 4 support an output resolution of 1600 x 1200 over this Lighting to VGA Adapter?
I'm aware it supports the standard 1024 x 768 resolution on projectors, but I want to know if that limitation is due to the projector not accepting a higher input or with the iPad itself. I have a Dell Ultrasharp monitor with a native resolution of 1600 x 1200 and I'd hate to purchase this without making sure it used it to its full advantage.