Questions & Answers for Lightning Digital AV Adapter
287 Questions from the Community
Do you need to have a charger connected for the digital AV adapter to work? I can't get it to work with my iPhone6 (iOS 8.3)
I can't get my screen to show up on my TV. I tested the connection by attaching a laptop to the TV, and it works, so this appears to be a problem with either the AV adapter or the iPhone.
- Asked by David G from Vista
- 07 3, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Do you need to have a charger connected for the digital AV adapter to work? I can't get it to work with my iPhone6 (iOS 8.3))
Dolby Digital 5.1 passthru?
Will this adapter pass Dolby Digital to an AV Receiver for 5.1 playback?
- Asked by Matt F from San Francisco
- 11 3, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Dolby Digital 5.1 passthru?)
Yes, if that AV receiver can handle audio over HDMI
- Answered by Peter J
- 03 22, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Dolby Digital 5.1 passthru?)
You should be able to do so when playing internet video from the iOS device connected to this adapter.
- Answered by Woo-duk C from 나주시
- 07 7, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this device work for watching videos on tge internet)
I can use skype video chat from this ?
- Asked by Lorenzo M from Tempe
- 11 11, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (I can use skype video chat from this ?)
- Answered by Sean L
- 01 4, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I can use skype video chat from this ?)
Can I use this to mirror an iPad 2 to a relatively new 21 inch iMac (i.e. with a lightning connector)? If so what other hardware would be required?
No answers yet
No, it's only a "Lightning to HDMI" cable, and not the other way around. It lets you display the conents of the screen of an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch that has a Lightning connector, on an HDMI-connected display, such as an HDMI TV. It does not allow you to use an iOS device as a display monitor.
- Answered by Daniel R from Madison
- 04 14, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use an HDMI to lightening cord to play PS4 displayed on iPad mini? So the PS4 would be in place of a tv)
No, this is strictly an "output" cable. Plug in this cable and you can now watch that game or movie from your Ipad of Iphone on a bigger screen.
- Answered by Michael D from Muncy
- 08 18, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this to tether video with my Nikon D800 to my mini Ipad 3rd generation or Iphone 6+?)
What apps are not supporting video out thru this cable?
I want to you this cable to watch video on tv from you tube, IPLA , or other apss. Please list all aps not supporting video out.
- Asked by Remigiusz G from Raleigh
- 01 29, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (What apps are not supporting video out thru this cable?)
Does lightning digital av adapter work with ipad air on ios 7.1
I have a ipad air on 7.1 does this work for apps that support tv out?
- Asked by Hannah H
- 04 1, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Does lightning digital av adapter work with ipad air on ios 7.1)
Can you stream the Xfinity mobile app through this device?
- Asked by Peter M from East Olympia
- 11 21, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you stream the Xfinity mobile app through this device?)
What color format does it output through HDMI?
I already have this adapter and it could display my iPad mini 2 screen on an HDMI monitor.
However, when I tried to hook it up with Blackmagic UltraStudio mini recorder, the mini recorder didn't get any video.
It looks to me that the mini recorder only supports YUV color format.
Someone in BlackMagic's forum told me that this adapter may output only in RGB format.
(I don't use any copy-protected video)
So, can someone please confirm what color format it outputs through its HDMI port?
- Asked by Jongam P from Emeryville
- 09 16, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (What color format does it output through HDMI?)
Could I mirror what is on my iPad to a screen with this, then also connect more accessories with the extra lightning port?
I was wondering about something like the Focusrite iTrack Solo. I know I would need to use a 30pin to lightning converter for this to work with the iPad and to fit into this adapter, but would I even be able to use both at the same time at all?
- Asked by Michael W from Vancouver
- 05 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Could I mirror what is on my iPad to a screen with this, then also connect more accessories with the extra lightning port?)
Yes but those accessories will likely need external power as the lightning port power supply to those other accessories is limited to a couple of watts only. In my experience only a handful of keyboards work, others use too much power.
- Answered by Lucas R from Richmond
- 11 30, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Could I mirror what is on my iPad to a screen with this, then also connect more accessories with the extra lightning port?)
Reset your device... Just sent a previous answer that many are reporting iPhone 5/5s that updates to iOS 8.2 pops up a dialog that it's downloading updated firmware (which it does not really do) and the AV adapter won't work.
Several of us have resolved the issue by backing up the iPhone, then "reset iPhone" and then restored the backup to get data and settings back and that seems to solve the issue and no more dialogs about firmware downloading -adapter just works as it used to prior to iOS 8.2...
Apple Support KnowledgeBase article HT201252 describes detailed steps how to use iTunes to reset the iPhone.
This was such a relief to know that it was not the adapter and not having to wait until an iOS 8.3 update.
- Answered by Wayne W from Wailuku
- 03 27, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (how do you accessory firmware update for Lightning Digital AV Adapter on OS8.2)
what's the "difference's?.. between a digital AV adapter & a digital AV lightening adapter. I have an iPad Air and want to watch programs etc. via tvAnswer
I assume you are referring to the 30-PIN Digital AV Adapter vs Lightning Digital AV adapter. The first one uses the old 30-PIN connector while the latter uses the new lightning connector. Check whether your device uses lightning or 30-PIN connector.
- Answered by Philgin E from Burbank
- 03 22, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (what's the "difference's?.. between a digital AV adapter & a digital AV lightening adapter. I have an iPad Air and want to watch programs etc. via tv)