Questions & Answers for Apple 12W USB Power Adapter
186 Questions from the Community
Apple sells a 2.1 amps is this adapter?
2.1 amps charger
- Asked by Jose S from Broadmoor Vlg
- 04 18, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (Apple sells a 2.1 amps is this adapter?)
So you can put international socket adaptors on it and travel with it. Or put an Apple power cable extension on it.
- Answered by Guy R from Calgary
- 12 31, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (why does it come apart?)
Does my apple charger use electricity when plugged in but no in use?
I'd like to know if my charger uses electricity when plugging into the wall socket but not plugged into my iPhone, ipad or iPod? Thanks
- Asked by Luanne R
- 03 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does my apple charger use electricity when plugged in but no in use?)
No, it does not. When first plugged in, there is a brief ½ second, one tenth Watt reading, but quickly goes to zero when nothing is attached. This is expected behavior for intelligent, energy conserving power supplies.
The resolution of my Kill-A-Watt meter is 0.01 Amp, or 0.05 Watt, so it's possible it may have a minute draw below that resolution, but that would be negligible and not considered a "vampire draw," like older technology.
- Answered by M. K from Portland
- 02 8, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does my apple charger use electricity when plugged in but no in use?)
Yes, the iPhone 7 Plus will charge quite a bit faster with the 12W power adapter. How much faster depends on some factors, but generally it'll cut charging time by about ⅓, which can save over an hour on a full charge from empty.
- Answered by Kip B from Longmont
- 03 30, 17
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this charge the iPhone 7 Plus faster than the charger included? If yes is it noticeably fatser?)
Does this charger double as a power converter for traveling in Europe? (I have an adapter, but not a converter and I don't want to blow out my iPad).
- Asked by Abigail C from Cambridge
- 01 20, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this charger double as a power converter for traveling in Europe? (I have an adapter, but not a converter and I don't want to blow out my iPad).)
This power adapter works in Europe just fine. It's input is rated for 110V (found in the U.S.) and up to 240V (most European countries supply electricity at 220V). While the adapter is compatible with the electrical input you will still have to get a simple power plug adapter to change the U.S. style plug to European (or whatever your destination is). You can pick up a power plug adapter in most department stores and at most international airports. Once you get that plug it in on top of your 12W USB adapter and voila! You may also want to visit an Apple store in Europe they have the plug style you will need as well. Please remember to always use genuine Apple adapter.
can I charge a iPad Pro with an iPhone 6 charger
- Asked by Wayne C from Orlando
- 05 24, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (can I charge a iPad Pro with an iPhone 6 charger)
You can but it will charge very slowly. With the iPad screen on you will likely not see any the charge increase at all because the power drain of the screen is enough to counteract the power being received from the charger.
- Answered by Charles W from Charlotte
- 06 11, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can I charge a iPad Pro with an iPhone 6 charger)
Can we use 12w adapter to charge iPhone 6?
- Asked by Rithik J from Vijayawada
- 12 26, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can we use 12w adapter to charge iPhone 6?)
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone 7 Plus
iPad (1st generation)
iPad 2 (2nd generation)
iPad (3rd generation)
iPad with Retina display
iPad mini 2
iPad Air 2
iPad mini 3
iPad mini 4
iPad Pro (9.7-inch)
iPad Pro (12.9-inch)
iPod 4th Generation (click wheel)
iPod 4th Generation (color display)
iPod 5th Generation (video)
iPod nano 1st Generation
iPod nano 2nd Generation
iPod nano 3rd Generation (video)
iPod nano 4th Generation
iPod nano 5th Generation
iPod nano 6th Generation
iPod nano 7th Generation
iPod shuffle 3rd Generation
iPod shuffle 4th Generation
iPod touch 1st Generation
iPod touch 2nd Generation
iPod touch 3rd Generation
iPod touch 4th Generation
iPod touch 5th Generation 32GB/64GB
iPod touch 5th Generation 16GB
iPod touch 6th Generation
- Answered by John N from Forest Hill
- 12 30, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can we use 12w adapter to charge iPhone 6?)
What charger and cable do I need for ipad4
- Asked by Rudolf H
- 03 31, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (What charger and cable do I need for ipad4)
Apple 12W USB Power Adapter and lightning to USB Cable
- Answered by Maznah M from Rawang
- 09 18, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What charger and cable do I need for ipad4)
Is this a three pin plug adapter for usage in England?
Bought a Ipad2 in America ,but need a3 pin plug charger isthis the adapter i need?
- Asked by Gary H
- 11 13, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this a three pin plug adapter for usage in England?)
What is the difference between this 12W USB Power Adapter and the 5W USB Power Adapter, i.e. speed of charging, plug, durability, compatibility?
I have a iPhone 5s and iPad Mini Gen-1 to charge.Best Answer:
An iPad requires at least 10W to charge at full speed. The 5W charger, when used with an iPad will cause it to display a "not charging" message - it will actually charge, but very slowly. Your iPhone will probably charge at the same speed with either adapter.
WRT the plug, the 5W adapter has a US-standard plug. You will need an adapter to plug it into any other country's outlets. The circuitry is universal, so you can use a simply adapter and won't need a voltage converter outside of the US.
The 12W adapter comes with a US-standard plug, but it is removable. You can attach a cord/plug (like those the laptop chargers include) or use Apple's international plugs, if you are so inclined.
WRT durability, I've never had a problem with any of Apple's chargers. But make sure you're buying an actual Apple product. There are a lot of third-party knock-offs that look similar, but are lousy quality. Given that it's often impossible to know until after you make your purchase, I would recommend only buying Apple chargers directly from Apple.
WRT compatbility, These chargers should work with any USB device. Given that a standard USB port supplies only 2.5W, you should be able to use either Apple charger with any device that can charge from a computer's port. I would recommend using the 12W adapter with anything that may require high power of if you're not sure. Fortunatley, they both cost the same price ($20 right now), so there's really no reason not to get the 12W model, unless you really want a very small device.
- Answered by David C from Purcellville
- 12 6, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is the difference between this 12W USB Power Adapter and the 5W USB Power Adapter, i.e. speed of charging, plug, durability, compatibility?)
can i charge my iphone with my ipad charger/adapter
I have an Iphone 5c. Can I charge it with the adapter than came from my Ipad Air?
- Asked by R Keith T from Knoxville
- 06 22, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (can i charge my iphone with my ipad charger/adapter)
Yes, do it all the time.
The iPad charger charges faster than the iPhone charger.
- Answered by Sean M from Twin Lakes
- 07 11, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i charge my iphone with my ipad charger/adapter)
can i use apple 12w usb power adapter for iphone 5s
- Asked by Yao Wen L from Brooklyn
- 11 1, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use apple 12w usb power adapter for iphone 5s)
Yes you can. Please refer to the compatibility list in the product description, it states that the 12W USB Power Adapter is compatible with the iPhone 5S. I personally use the 10W adapter to charge my iPhone 5S, but as soon as I pick up the the new iPad Air I will use it to charge the iPhone 5S as well. It will charge your iPhone 5S faster than the 5W adapter iPhone 5S comes with.
- Answered by Peter Z from Castaic
- 11 7, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i use apple 12w usb power adapter for iphone 5s)
Does the new mini iPad 4 come with a 12 watt charger
- Asked by Rellia G from Temple
- 09 21, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the new mini iPad 4 come with a 12 watt charger)
No, it comes with a 10 watt charger.
- Answered by Surya K from Vancouver
- 09 28, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the new mini iPad 4 come with a 12 watt charger)
My charger stopped working. Was it because when plugged into an extension cord it always felt hot? Is an extension cord compatible with this charger
When using an extension cord, the charger would get very warm.Best Answer:
The (over) heating of your charger when on a extension cord may be caused by thermal insulation from the surface that the charger is resting on or under during operation. If it is resting on a hard, cool surface, the charger can dissipate heat into moving air (convection) and into the cool surface (conduction) at about the same rate as the charger produces it, and it doesn't overheat.
If the charger/adapter is plugged into a strip or wall outlet, it will have maximum surface area in air and can cool by air moving past (convection).
A problem can arise if, because of the location the charger/adapter that extension cord will allow, the charger is resting on a thick carpet or an upholstered surface or bed, or worst of all, covered under a pillow, blanket, or other fabric. Now, convective or conductive heat loss (or both) will be reduced and the charger can get very hot reducing its useful life, and if completely insulated, risking a fire.
The extension cord rated for the input of the charger isn't the problem, but the extension allowing improper location of the charger itself, is.
as long as it charges with a USB cable, Yes.
- Answered by Joe S from Estero
- 12 23, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I charge a iPod classic with Apple 12w usb power adapter)
Yes it will work in China. Used it for iPhone and ipad. Had to have adaptor for prongs..current was 220
- Answered by Tom M from Gallatin
- 11 16, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i use it in china)
will this charge the iphone 4 faster?
will this charge my iphone 4 faster than the 5w charger included?
- Asked by Santiago B
- 11 5, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (will this charge the iphone 4 faster?)
Yes, it will charge very fast.
- Answered by David L from Staten Island
- 12 4, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will this charge the iphone 4 faster?)