Questions & Answers for Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2m) - White
138 Questions from the Community
Can i use a thunderbolt cable to transfer from Macbook Pro 15-inch, Late 2008 - w/mini DVI (is that thunderbolt?) to new Macbook Pro?
I cant seem to get a clean answer when searching - looking to transfer data from my old 2008 macbook pro to the new one. My mini dvi looks exactly the same as the thunderbolt on new macs without the logo, is that the case?
Thanks, wanted to to check before ordering a $50 cabele
- Asked by Daniel T from Amityville
- 12 8, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use a thunderbolt cable to transfer from Macbook Pro 15-inch, Late 2008 - w/mini DVI (is that thunderbolt?) to new Macbook Pro?)
No, you can't sorry! the minidisplayport looks like thunderbolt but is not thunderbolt, I would suggest getting a firewire or usb cable to transfer.
will this product work to transfer files from an imac to macbook air
- Asked by Peter M from Fuquay Varina
- 02 27, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (will this product work to transfer files from an imac to macbook air)
I can answer this myself as I took a chance and bought the cable. Connect the Mac Mini to the 27" iMac via the Thunderbolt cable and press cmd + F2 on the iMac keyboard to enter target display mode. The iMac becomes the display for the Mini, works a treat.
- Answered by William M
- 09 5, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I connect a new Mac Mini to a new iMac for display purposes using the Thunderbolt cable.)
Does thunderbolt allow combined digital audio and video like HDMI? My HTIB takes one input -- does not receive signals separately from same source.
Can you charge an iPad with the thunderbolt cable
- Asked by Nancy B from Columbia
- 02 6, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you charge an iPad with the thunderbolt cable)
Is Thunderbolt really slower than FireWire 800 in Target Disk Mode?
Just wondering if this was true and if so, there was a firmware update coming down the pike. Don't want to waste my money on this cable unless it's going work well for Target Disk Mode. Thanks!
- Asked by Dan M from Stockton
- 07 16, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Is Thunderbolt really slower than FireWire 800 in Target Disk Mode?)
I have found Firewire 800 to be faster.
4GB File took 1.5 min with Thunderbolt in Target Disc Mode
Same file took 54 sec. with Firewire 800
Not sure why ?
- Answered by James M from Cincinnati
- 07 31, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is Thunderbolt really slower than FireWire 800 in Target Disk Mode?)
It does not charge your battery. However, the 27" Thunderbolt display has a MagSafe cable for you to charge your MBP. You might wish to get the MagSafe 2 adaptor if needed.
I highly recommend you to read about it on the Apple site for TB Display.
- Answered by Cong W from San Francisco
- 01 13, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the Thunderbolt wire charge the MacBook Pro's battery when connected to a 27" Thunderbolt display?)
No, you cannot connect any Thunderbolt device to a Mac which lacks a Thunderbolt port.
- Answered by Peter S
- 03 18, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can I connect a thunderbolt external hard drive to my 2010 mac book pro?)
Audio support when connected to iMac 2011 27' as an external display
Does the audio come out from the iMac or the macbook?
- Asked by Tsz Chun L from Everett
- 05 9, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Audio support when connected to iMac 2011 27' as an external display)
Can my iMac (2013) connect to my macbook pro (2012) with the thunderbolt cable and be used (the macbook pro) as a second display?Answer
Your question leaves open some ambiguity. Let me try to resolve it:
1. You can use the Thunderbolt cable to connect your iMac and your MacBook Pro
2. You can use the iMac as a secondary display for your MacBook Pro provided you put your iMac into Target Display Mode. This is documented by Apple - please search for "Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode"
3. You cannot use the MacBook Pro display as a secondary display for the iMac. The MacBook Pro does not offer Target Display Mode.
If you would like to use the MacBook Pro internal screen as a secondary display for the iMac, your only route would be by way of a software/network solution like ScreenRecycler.
Only on the new 2011 iMac's and MacBook Pro's.
- Answered by Hayden C from Sydney
- 07 20, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (about Apple Thunderbolt cable can i use to connect from Mac to Mac (like FireWire))
can a new macbook air thunderbolt to an imac-2010 with mini display port
i bought a thunderblot cable without checking my imac2010 very carefully. now i found my imac only has one minidisplay port. is it possible to connect my macbook air(2011new with thunderbolt) to the minidisplay of imac? i tried the com+f2 on my imac, but it doesn't work.
i am really confused by apple, the thunderbolt fit very well to the mini display port.
- Asked by Xiaofei Z
- 02 10, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (can a new macbook air thunderbolt to an imac-2010 with mini display port)
The ports are visibly identical but thunderbolt isn't on your iMac so it won't work. Just because it fits doesn't mean it's the same thing or it will work.
You need to buy a mini display port cable. And make sure the iMac is a 27 inch only the 27 inch macs can be used as a monitor.
Then plug one end of the mini dp cable into the thunderbolt/mini dp port on the air and the other end into the mini dp on the iMac. Turn on the iMac then the air. Should work just fine.
I found a mini dp cable for 19$
- Answered by Kevin G from Kamloops
- 06 12, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can a new macbook air thunderbolt to an imac-2010 with mini display port)
Can I connect my LaCie 3TB 3.0 Porsche Design p9233 Desktop Hard Drive too my Mac Desk top computer using a Thunder Bolt Cable?
- Asked by George J from Fayetteville
- 01 20, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect my LaCie 3TB 3.0 Porsche Design p9233 Desktop Hard Drive too my Mac Desk top computer using a Thunder Bolt Cable?)
Is there a adapter or way to make one of the thunderbolt ports on my macbook pro retina 15 inch a extra USB port?
I am running live sound and mixing using several different interfaces, ins and outs. Is there a way to get another USB port out of one of the thunderbolt ports? All the interfaces I have are USB. I know there are expansion adapters for a USB port I'm just not sure if they would be fast enough to support live sound without some latency issues coming out of 1 USB. It is possible that they would be fine. Just wondering.
- Asked by Christopher C from Morrison
- 09 13, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a adapter or way to make one of the thunderbolt ports on my macbook pro retina 15 inch a extra USB port?)
Can this cable be used to create a TCP/IP network between Macs?
- Asked by Sharon D from Plainview
- 11 13, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this cable be used to create a TCP/IP network between Macs?)
UAD to Thunderbolt
If you upgrade to a new computer one that doesn't have a express card for your laptop then you have to use the thunderbolt option. What I want to know is what adaptor do you use to connect the UAD card to the thunderbolt cable.
- Asked by Alan W from Decatur
- 01 30, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (UAD to Thunderbolt)
Can the Apple Thunderbolt Firewire cable be used to connect my minidv sony camera to my macbook air?
When I purchased my macbook air I lost my firewire port and the ability to connect my video camera. Will this cable solve my problem and allow me to connect my sony video camera that uses firewire to my macbook air?
- Asked by Paul N from Chicago
- 06 19, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the Apple Thunderbolt Firewire cable be used to connect my minidv sony camera to my macbook air?)
no. this is just a thunderbolt cable. you need to wait till july when apple releases the thunderbolt to firewire adapter.
- Answered by Timothy P from Los Angeles
- 07 4, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can the Apple Thunderbolt Firewire cable be used to connect my minidv sony camera to my macbook air?)
I've read I can connect an iMac-TBLT via minidisplayport-HDMI-cable with a TV. Can I connect vice versa a DVD/Blueray-Player with my TBLT-iMac27"?
Will this cable enable you to use the Mid 2010 iMac with Mini Display Port as a display for the new MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt in clam shell mode?Best Answer:
No. The 2010 iMac does not have Thunderbolt, so it cannot be used with this Thunderbolt cable. However, you can use a mini-DP cable for the purpose you described with the 27" Mid-2010 iMac, because the MacBook Pro supports DP output on the Thunderbolt port, and the 27" Mid-2010 iMac accepts DP input using Target Display Mode.