Questions & Answers for Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2m) - White
138 Questions from the Community
It does not charge your battery. However, the 27" Thunderbolt display has a MagSafe cable for you to charge your MBP. You might wish to get the MagSafe 2 adaptor if needed.
I highly recommend you to read about it on the Apple site for TB Display.
- Answered by Cong W from San Francisco
- 01 13, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the Thunderbolt wire charge the MacBook Pro's battery when connected to a 27" Thunderbolt display?)
Use iMac late 2009 as a second display connected to iMac late 2014
Not sure if possible, is it possible to use my iMac Late 2009 as a second display for the iMac late 2014 build.
The old iMac has a Mini display port and the new iMac has only thunderbolt connections?
I am confused after reading apples FAQ's
Appreciate any help, thank you
- Asked by John A from Eastbourne
- 04 24, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Use iMac late 2009 as a second display connected to iMac late 2014)
Yes, the iMac late 2009 supports Target Display Mode (TDM)
Cable Supported: Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort
Port on Source Computer: Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt
Thunderbolt ports are backwards compatible, meaning they support MiniDisplay Port cables. Your iMac 2009 with MiniDisplay Port does not support Thunderbolt. So you will need a Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable; this would then be plugged into Mini DisplayPort in 2009 iMac and Thunderbolt port on 2014 iMac.
Command F2 on the 2009 iMac would put this computer into TDM, with the 2014 iMac as the source computer.
- Answered by Michael R from Golden
- 06 1, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Use iMac late 2009 as a second display connected to iMac late 2014)
Can i use a thunderbolt cable to transfer from Macbook Pro 15-inch, Late 2008 - w/mini DVI (is that thunderbolt?) to new Macbook Pro?
I cant seem to get a clean answer when searching - looking to transfer data from my old 2008 macbook pro to the new one. My mini dvi looks exactly the same as the thunderbolt on new macs without the logo, is that the case?
Thanks, wanted to to check before ordering a $50 cabele
- Asked by Daniel T from Amityville
- 12 8, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use a thunderbolt cable to transfer from Macbook Pro 15-inch, Late 2008 - w/mini DVI (is that thunderbolt?) to new Macbook Pro?)
No, you can't sorry! the minidisplayport looks like thunderbolt but is not thunderbolt, I would suggest getting a firewire or usb cable to transfer.
I can answer this myself as I took a chance and bought the cable. Connect the Mac Mini to the 27" iMac via the Thunderbolt cable and press cmd + F2 on the iMac keyboard to enter target display mode. The iMac becomes the display for the Mini, works a treat.
- Answered by William M
- 09 5, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I connect a new Mac Mini to a new iMac for display purposes using the Thunderbolt cable.)
No, you cannot connect any Thunderbolt device to a Mac which lacks a Thunderbolt port.
- Answered by Peter S
- 03 18, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can I connect a thunderbolt external hard drive to my 2010 mac book pro?)
Is Thunderbolt really slower than FireWire 800 in Target Disk Mode?
Just wondering if this was true and if so, there was a firmware update coming down the pike. Don't want to waste my money on this cable unless it's going work well for Target Disk Mode. Thanks!
- Asked by Dan M from Stockton
- 07 16, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Is Thunderbolt really slower than FireWire 800 in Target Disk Mode?)
I have found Firewire 800 to be faster.
4GB File took 1.5 min with Thunderbolt in Target Disc Mode
Same file took 54 sec. with Firewire 800
Not sure why ?
- Answered by James M from Cincinnati
- 07 31, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is Thunderbolt really slower than FireWire 800 in Target Disk Mode?)
Will a Thunderbolt 2 chord work on a MAC Pro from 2009
Will a Thunderbolt 2 chord work on a MAC Pro Tower from 2009 to output to an additional monitor.
- Asked by John R from Avondale
- 03 18, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Will a Thunderbolt 2 chord work on a MAC Pro from 2009)
No, a thunderbolt cable will not work on a Mac Pro (2009). Should the graphics card have a socket that seems to fit a thunderbolt cable, the correct product to get is a Mini DisplayPort cable, not a thunderbolt cable.
- Answered by Peter S
- 03 29, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will a Thunderbolt 2 chord work on a MAC Pro from 2009)
Can my iMac (2013) connect to my macbook pro (2012) with the thunderbolt cable and be used (the macbook pro) as a second display?Answer
Your question leaves open some ambiguity. Let me try to resolve it:
1. You can use the Thunderbolt cable to connect your iMac and your MacBook Pro
2. You can use the iMac as a secondary display for your MacBook Pro provided you put your iMac into Target Display Mode. This is documented by Apple - please search for "Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode"
3. You cannot use the MacBook Pro display as a secondary display for the iMac. The MacBook Pro does not offer Target Display Mode.
If you would like to use the MacBook Pro internal screen as a secondary display for the iMac, your only route would be by way of a software/network solution like ScreenRecycler.
Can I use this cable to connect a New MacPro Thunderbolt 2 port to an Asus monitor using its DisplayPort 1.2 port?
- Asked by Richard D from Kensal Green
- 02 25, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this cable to connect a New MacPro Thunderbolt 2 port to an Asus monitor using its DisplayPort 1.2 port?)
can i connect my video cam to my iMac using thunderbolt?
I am trying to upload videos from my DV to my iMac - am not sure if this device is thunderbolt compatible. what cable should i use? tx!
- Asked by James S from Petaling Jaya
- 03 2, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (can i connect my video cam to my iMac using thunderbolt?)
Yes you can. Set up depends on which camera. For an older Sony Digital 8 Handycam, I plugged in a 4-pin to 9-pin Gigawire (from Radio Shack) to the DV in/out on the camera. Then I attached an Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter to that cable, and plugged into the Thunderbolt in back of the iMac. iMovie recognized the camera. The Mac could not control the camera, but that was no big deal.
- Answered by William T from Las Vegas
- 05 4, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i connect my video cam to my iMac using thunderbolt?)
Can I connect my 2011 macbook pro to a Cinema Display with thunderbolt or Firewire
I cannot find a cable to connect my new macbook to my monitor(Cinema Display)
- Asked by Jay B S from Odessa
- 08 21, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect my 2011 macbook pro to a Cinema Display with thunderbolt or Firewire)
You can just use the Mini Display Port cable that came with the 27 inch cinema display. Mini Display Port is the exact same plugin as Thunderbolt, so this is all you need. If you lost the cable, what you're looking for is a Belkin Mini Display port to Mini Display Port cable.
- Answered by Matt M from Austin
- 08 22, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I connect my 2011 macbook pro to a Cinema Display with thunderbolt or Firewire)
will this product work to transfer files from an imac to macbook air
- Asked by Peter M from Fuquay Varina
- 02 27, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (will this product work to transfer files from an imac to macbook air)
Does thunderbolt allow combined digital audio and video like HDMI? My HTIB takes one input -- does not receive signals separately from same source.
Is there a adapter or way to make one of the thunderbolt ports on my macbook pro retina 15 inch a extra USB port?
I am running live sound and mixing using several different interfaces, ins and outs. Is there a way to get another USB port out of one of the thunderbolt ports? All the interfaces I have are USB. I know there are expansion adapters for a USB port I'm just not sure if they would be fast enough to support live sound without some latency issues coming out of 1 USB. It is possible that they would be fine. Just wondering.
- Asked by Christopher C from Morrison
- 09 13, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a adapter or way to make one of the thunderbolt ports on my macbook pro retina 15 inch a extra USB port?)
Will the lighting cable plug in this cable for quicker sinking for iTunes?
Looking at the two cable it seems that the lighting tip should slid it to the thunderbold cable. If that is the case how much faster can would transfers from itunes to iPod go.
- Asked by Roosevelt J from Las Vegas
- 09 13, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the lighting cable plug in this cable for quicker sinking for iTunes?)
Will this cable enable you to use the Mid 2010 iMac with Mini Display Port as a display for the new MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt in clam shell mode?Best Answer:
No, You can only use "Taget Display Mode" with a 2011 iMac and a 2011 MacBook Pro.
Audio support when connected to iMac 2011 27' as an external display
Does the audio come out from the iMac or the macbook?
- Asked by Tsz Chun L from Everett
- 05 9, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Audio support when connected to iMac 2011 27' as an external display)
Thunderbolt to MINI DVI
What cable do I need to connect a Macbook Air (2011) thunderbolt port to a 24" iMac (2008) DVI port to be able to run the Macbook Air in target mode. In other words, the iMac would act as an external display for the new Macbook Air.
Thank you in advance,
- Asked by Janet R from Lakewood
- 07 26, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Thunderbolt to MINI DVI)
can i transfer pictures from ipad air to ipad air 2
I have an ipad air I bought several years ago and I am upgrading to an ipad air 2, does this cable allow me to transfer photos I've taken or saved to my ipad air to my ipad air 2? music would be helpful as well, but that's probably stretching it.
- Asked by Owen H from Neptune
- 06 12, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (can i transfer pictures from ipad air to ipad air 2)
No, a thunderbolt cable would be of absolutely no help for transferring data from one iOS device to another. The correct way to achieve this is by creating a locally stored backup of the old device in iTunes on a Mac or a PC, and restoring the same backup to the new device. Don't forget do enable the encryption - this will allow stored passwords to transfer to the new device.
- Answered by Peter S
- 06 15, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i transfer pictures from ipad air to ipad air 2)
Only on the new 2011 iMac's and MacBook Pro's.
- Answered by Hayden C from Sydney
- 07 20, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (about Apple Thunderbolt cable can i use to connect from Mac to Mac (like FireWire))