Questions & Answers for Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2m) - White
139 Questions from the Community
Can I connect thunderbolt cable to an LCD TV
- Asked by Fayyaz A
- 03 23, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect thunderbolt cable to an LCD TV)
So far the Black Magic Design Cinema Camera appears to be the only camera that supports Thunderbolt. It is somewhat expensive but looks like it would be worth the cost.
- Answered by Christopher A from Glenwood
- 05 10, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (what professional camcorders are competable with Thunderbolt, to transfer video from a camcorder to iMac)
Can my iMac (2013) connect to my macbook pro (2012) with the thunderbolt cable and be used (the macbook pro) as a second display?Answer
Your question leaves open some ambiguity. Let me try to resolve it:
1. You can use the Thunderbolt cable to connect your iMac and your MacBook Pro
2. You can use the iMac as a secondary display for your MacBook Pro provided you put your iMac into Target Display Mode. This is documented by Apple - please search for "Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode"
3. You cannot use the MacBook Pro display as a secondary display for the iMac. The MacBook Pro does not offer Target Display Mode.
If you would like to use the MacBook Pro internal screen as a secondary display for the iMac, your only route would be by way of a software/network solution like ScreenRecycler.
Is it possible to connect a new iMac to my old 2009 MacBook Pro using the thunderbolt cable and use both screens to display work?
- Asked by Tanner W from Huntington
- 12 1, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it possible to connect a new iMac to my old 2009 MacBook Pro using the thunderbolt cable and use both screens to display work?)
Will the Apple Thunderbolt cable work between a Thunderbolt enabled 2011 iMac and a Pre-Thunderbolt (Mini DisplayPort enabled) MacBook Pro?
Simple scenario: I have a 2011 iMac with Thunderbolt inputs and a 2009 MacBook Pro without Thunderbolt inputs (Only Mini DisplayPort input). Will I be able to connect the Apple Thunderbolt cable to both of these and use the MacBook Pro as a second display, adjacent to my iMac?Answer
No it does not work
Will this cable work from a Thunderbolt MBP to a FEMALE Thunderbolt jack on a Thunderbolt Display?
I need a longer distance from my MBP to the display than I can get with the Thunderbolt display's builtin Thunderbolt cable.
- Asked by David Y from Los Altos
- 10 6, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this cable work from a Thunderbolt MBP to a FEMALE Thunderbolt jack on a Thunderbolt Display?)
Yes! Tried it at an Apple store. Cabled from Mac Mini to Thunderbolt display. Worked.
- Answered by David Y from Los Altos
- 10 8, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this cable work from a Thunderbolt MBP to a FEMALE Thunderbolt jack on a Thunderbolt Display?)
Is there an adapter available to connect a firewire soundcard to the new mac book pro thunderbolt?
I have a motu 828 MKII soundcard which is connected via firewire to my old mac book pro 2009.
Now I want to upgrade to the new mac book pro, which does not have firewire anymore.
Is there an adapter available to connect firewire to the new thunderbolt interface?Answer
You'll have to wait until the "Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter" is released. It's due out sometime this month....ish. (July 2012)
No, hit Command + F2 to enter "Target Display Mode"
- Answered by Neil G from Dublin
- 06 29, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the iMac need to be shutdown for it to work as an external display?)
No. The same digital signal is passed in either case.
- Answered by Michael M from Chatsworth
- 06 30, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will the use of this Thunderbolt cable enhance my video display on a thunderbolt compatible external monitor?)
can thunderbolt cable be used for LAN/internet connection??
i want to use thunderbolt port for ethernet connection so that i get a better internet speed ...can this be done?
- Asked by Sudhanshu M
- 09 11, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (can thunderbolt cable be used for LAN/internet connection??)
I can answer this myself as I took a chance and bought the cable. Connect the Mac Mini to the 27" iMac via the Thunderbolt cable and press cmd + F2 on the iMac keyboard to enter target display mode. The iMac becomes the display for the Mini, works a treat.
- Answered by William M
- 09 5, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I connect a new Mac Mini to a new iMac for display purposes using the Thunderbolt cable.)
can i transfer pictures from ipad air to ipad air 2
I have an ipad air I bought several years ago and I am upgrading to an ipad air 2, does this cable allow me to transfer photos I've taken or saved to my ipad air to my ipad air 2? music would be helpful as well, but that's probably stretching it.
- Asked by Owen H from Neptune
- 06 12, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (can i transfer pictures from ipad air to ipad air 2)
No, a thunderbolt cable would be of absolutely no help for transferring data from one iOS device to another. The correct way to achieve this is by creating a locally stored backup of the old device in iTunes on a Mac or a PC, and restoring the same backup to the new device. Don't forget do enable the encryption - this will allow stored passwords to transfer to the new device.
- Answered by Peter S
- 06 15, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i transfer pictures from ipad air to ipad air 2)
Can I use Thunderbolt cable to connect Mac Mini to LaCie Display?
- Asked by Marion R from Northridge
- 05 28, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use Thunderbolt cable to connect Mac Mini to LaCie Display?)
Can I easily transfer files from Mac to Mac with this cable?
Can I easily transfer big files from Mac to Mac? Will it be something as easy as Airdrop? Obviously it will have the cable plugged in, but can I just drag and drop the file somewhere to have it transferred?
- Asked by Seth T from Glen Allen
- 11 24, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I easily transfer files from Mac to Mac with this cable?)
Yes. How easy this is depends on the system version.
Method 1: With all versions of (Mac) OS X, you can transfer files by starting up one of the Macs in Thunderbolt target mode (holding the T key while it starts up) and using that Mac as an external drive.
Method 2: Starting from 10.9 Mavericks, you can also use the Thunderbolt cable to create an IP link between two running computers, and use file sharing.
- Answered by Peter S
- 03 18, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I easily transfer files from Mac to Mac with this cable?)
Thunderbolt cables are special cables to be used only between two Thunderbolt-capable devices. If your storage device has only FireWire ports, you need a Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptor, but these are pretty expensive as are the Thunderbolt-native storage devices currently on the market. Sorry no simple, inexpensive solutions, at lease not yet
- Answered by Tom R from Cupertino
- 01 4, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (thunderbolt cable connect to a macbook air to an external storage device through firewire port on device?)
Yes, the Thunderbolt cable can also be used for Mini Display Port connections. So you can connect any display that has MiniDisplay Port in it, or Thunderbolt. And if the display supports Thunderbolt, you can daisy chain more devices to the display!
- Answered by John H from Morristown
- 07 24, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can this cable be used to connect a monitor, without a Thunderbolt connection, to a 2011 21.5" iMac?)
Can an iMac (Aug 2011) be used in target display mode with my MacBook Air (2012)?
I want to use an Aug 2011 iMac (21.5 inch) as a second display with a new Mac Book Air.
Is this possible with a Thunderbolt cable?Best Answer:
You can use any iMac with a Thunderbolt port as an external monitor for another Mac that has a Thunderbolt port as well. If you have the education-only model of the 21.5" iMac that started selling in august of 2011, you're out of luck, because it has not Thunderbolt port.
- Answered by Nicolas E
- 08 16, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can an iMac (Aug 2011) be used in target display mode with my MacBook Air (2012)?)
Which versions of the MacBook Pro and Air? This Thunderbolt cable can be use to transfer data from one Thunderbolt equiped mac to another in target disk mode.
- Answered by Carol H from Boulder
- 10 10, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can this cable used to transferred data from the MacBook pro to the MacBook Air?)
Can the thunderbolt cable be used on Macbook Pro Retina?
- Asked by Anthony B from Sydney
- 11 9, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the thunderbolt cable be used on Macbook Pro Retina?)
It does not charge your battery. However, the 27" Thunderbolt display has a MagSafe cable for you to charge your MBP. You might wish to get the MagSafe 2 adaptor if needed.
I highly recommend you to read about it on the Apple site for TB Display.
- Answered by Cong W from San Francisco
- 01 13, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the Thunderbolt wire charge the MacBook Pro's battery when connected to a 27" Thunderbolt display?)