Questions & Answers for Apple Thunderbolt Cable (0.5m) - White
117 Questions from the Community
Can I connect my 2011 macbook pro to a Cinema Display with thunderbolt or Firewire
I cannot find a cable to connect my new macbook to my monitor(Cinema Display)
- Asked by Jay B S from Odessa
- 08 21, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect my 2011 macbook pro to a Cinema Display with thunderbolt or Firewire)
You can just use the Mini Display Port cable that came with the 27 inch cinema display. Mini Display Port is the exact same plugin as Thunderbolt, so this is all you need. If you lost the cable, what you're looking for is a Belkin Mini Display port to Mini Display Port cable.
- Answered by Matt M from Austin
- 08 22, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I connect my 2011 macbook pro to a Cinema Display with thunderbolt or Firewire)
Can I connect thunderbolt cable to an LCD TV
- Asked by Fayyaz A
- 03 23, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect thunderbolt cable to an LCD TV)
Can I connect my LaCie 3TB 3.0 Porsche Design p9233 Desktop Hard Drive too my Mac Desk top computer using a Thunder Bolt Cable?
- Asked by George J from Fayetteville
- 01 20, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect my LaCie 3TB 3.0 Porsche Design p9233 Desktop Hard Drive too my Mac Desk top computer using a Thunder Bolt Cable?)
Can I connect a 2011 Macbook Pro to a 2013 Macbook Air and use the Air as a second display for the 2011?
I know both have thunderbolt ports, I just need to know wether i can make a second display, not just data transfer with thunderbolt cables. I'm trying to use what I have, an older work computer and use my personal laptop as the second display for when i work from home.
- Asked by Jonathan C from Pittsburg
- 06 4, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect a 2011 Macbook Pro to a 2013 Macbook Air and use the Air as a second display for the 2011?)
No you cannot. Connecting the two computers would just allow you to access the hard drive of the other MacBook.
- Answered by Michael K from Clearlake
- 08 23, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I connect a 2011 Macbook Pro to a 2013 Macbook Air and use the Air as a second display for the 2011?)
Can an iMac (Aug 2011) be used in target display mode with my MacBook Air (2012)?
I want to use an Aug 2011 iMac (21.5 inch) as a second display with a new Mac Book Air.
Is this possible with a Thunderbolt cable?Best Answer:
You can use any iMac with a Thunderbolt port as an external monitor for another Mac that has a Thunderbolt port as well. If you have the education-only model of the 21.5" iMac that started selling in august of 2011, you're out of luck, because it has not Thunderbolt port.
- Answered by Nicolas E
- 08 16, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can an iMac (Aug 2011) be used in target display mode with my MacBook Air (2012)?)
Is this cable used to transfer files between two macs?
Hi. I am planning to purchase a new macbook pro since the keyboard of my old one broke. I remember when I first bought this macbook pro, I also bought a cable that transferred all files to from my Macbook. Will this cable do the same things and transfer all files? I am not a tech-person, so I really don't understand the description. It would be great if you could help me. And if this isn't the product, will you please suggest what cable is good for transferring files?
- Asked by Kiyomi R from Carpinteria
- 03 20, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this cable used to transfer files between two macs?)
Can this be used to use an iMac 27Inch (2011) as a display for a pc with a mini display port output?
I have tried a mini display port cable and it doesn't work.
Can my iMac (2013) connect to my macbook pro (2012) with the thunderbolt cable and be used (the macbook pro) as a second display?Answer
Your question leaves open some ambiguity. Let me try to resolve it:
1. You can use the Thunderbolt cable to connect your iMac and your MacBook Pro
2. You can use the iMac as a secondary display for your MacBook Pro provided you put your iMac into Target Display Mode. This is documented by Apple - please search for "Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode"
3. You cannot use the MacBook Pro display as a secondary display for the iMac. The MacBook Pro does not offer Target Display Mode.
If you would like to use the MacBook Pro internal screen as a secondary display for the iMac, your only route would be by way of a software/network solution like ScreenRecycler.
UAD to Thunderbolt
If you upgrade to a new computer one that doesn't have a express card for your laptop then you have to use the thunderbolt option. What I want to know is what adaptor do you use to connect the UAD card to the thunderbolt cable.
- Asked by Alan W from Decatur
- 01 30, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (UAD to Thunderbolt)
I've read I can connect an iMac-TBLT via minidisplayport-HDMI-cable with a TV. Can I connect vice versa a DVD/Blueray-Player with my TBLT-iMac27"?
Can I connect two MacBook pros and use one to mirror the display of the other?
I want to use my second MacBook Pro as a display for the first MacBook Pro.
- Asked by Marsha G from Hampton
- 01 23, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect two MacBook pros and use one to mirror the display of the other?)
Will the Apple Thunderbolt cable work between a Thunderbolt enabled 2011 iMac and a Pre-Thunderbolt (Mini DisplayPort enabled) MacBook Pro?
Simple scenario: I have a 2011 iMac with Thunderbolt inputs and a 2009 MacBook Pro without Thunderbolt inputs (Only Mini DisplayPort input). Will I be able to connect the Apple Thunderbolt cable to both of these and use the MacBook Pro as a second display, adjacent to my iMac?Answer
No it does not work
Can the thunderbolt cable be used on Macbook Pro Retina?
- Asked by Anthony B from Sydney
- 11 9, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the thunderbolt cable be used on Macbook Pro Retina?)
Can I use this as a networking cable, like an ethernet cable?
When Wi-Fi is being too slow, I currently use an ethernet cable to connect my MacBook Pro to my mac mini server, running the Minecraft server software. Can I use this Thunderbolt cable instead of the ethernet cable I have been using, for an even faster connection?
- Asked by Seth T from Glen Allen
- 11 24, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this as a networking cable, like an ethernet cable?)
Yes. The cabling is exactly the same in both Thunderbolt 1 and Thunderbolt 2. As long as both devices support it, you'll get the faster 20Gbps speed.
- Answered by David S from Brooklyn
- 04 16, 17
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this cable support Thunderbolt 2 speeds when connecting two Thunderbolt 2 rated devices?)
can I connect the thunderbolt cable between macbook pro and ipod touch?
- Asked by Andrew T from Mouterre-sur-blourde
- 10 7, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (can I connect the thunderbolt cable between macbook pro and ipod touch?)
I'd like to transfer a large number of photos from Mac Air to my iMac. I'd like to do so using Thunderbolt. What adapter do I need?Answer
Assuming both those Macs have Thunderbolt ports, this cable should suffice. Plug it into each Mac, restart the source computer while holding the T key and it will appear as an external disk drive on your target computer. Just browse it and copy over the photos you need.
Will this cable enable you to use the Mid 2010 iMac with Mini Display Port as a display for the new MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt in clam shell mode?Best Answer:
No, You can only use "Taget Display Mode" with a 2011 iMac and a 2011 MacBook Pro.