Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB
577 Questions from the Community
Can I use time capsule for back up only, without operating router, and utilize another modem/router for internet access?
- Asked by Richard B from Black Hawk
- 09 11, 18
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use time capsule for back up only, without operating router, and utilize another modem/router for internet access?)
In short, yes. You can join the Time Capsule to your existing wireless network during configuration. When you connect your iDevice to the Time Capsule, you'll be able to back it up and access the internet at the same time.
- Answered by Steven W from Conroe
- 09 16, 18
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use time capsule for back up only, without operating router, and utilize another modem/router for internet access?)
Yes, technically, the hard drive is removable from the Time Capsule. You can get a SATA to USB adapter to connect the hard drive to a Mac if you need to restore information.
- Answered by Dylan H from Monroe Township
- 08 5, 18
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (If for some reason the router goes bad, does the Time Capsule hard drive still work?)
I already have a wi-fi network, can I use the Time Capsule as storage alone?
We just purchased a new router, so I do not need wi-fi ... I do however need extra space for dvds that I have loaded on my mac. Am I able to use the Time Capsule for storage? will my apple tv be able to play my movies?
- Asked by Brandon K from Pewaukee
- 10 25, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (I already have a wi-fi network, can I use the Time Capsule as storage alone?)
The airport configuration utility provides an option on the Network tab, at the top, labeled "Router Mode:". You can select "Off (Bridge Mode)" to turn of the DHCP and NAT services which will interfere with your existing network. Then, you just need to cable the time capsule to a LAN port on your other router, or, if you don't have a "LAN" port available, either buy an ethernet switch to increase the number of ports available by daisy chaining the switch off of a LAN port on your router, and then putting the wire that was in that LAN PORT in the switch, and use another wire from the switch to your time capsule.
Alternatively, if you need to wirelessly couple your time capsule to your router, because you have no access to LAN ports for ethernet, then on the Wireless tab, you can select "Extend a wireless network", and then enter the details for how to wirelessly connect to your other wireless router.
But, I would suggest that the best choice would be to switch to using the airport time capsule as your wireless router, and set your new router aside as a backup. The time capsule and the airport utility will work together to provide you and easy to manage system. If firmware fixes are needed for your existing router, you have to know where to check in the router for the current version, and then how to access appropriate updates on the wireless routers web site. With the Timecapsule and having the Airport Utility installed on your computer (if you have a Mac, it comes with it there already), it will tell you that updates are available, and install them for you when you choose to do that.
- Answered by Gregg W from Tulsa
- 12 20, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I already have a wi-fi network, can I use the Time Capsule as storage alone?)
Can I use the airport time capsule to also backup my iPad and iPhone
- Asked by Michael P from Valley Park
- 07 21, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the airport time capsule to also backup my iPad and iPhone)
Yes you can backup your iOS device, but only through your Mac. Backup your iOS device to your Mac regularly and backup your Mac to your Time Machine regularly. That is also free as opposed to buying iCloud storage for backups.
- Answered by Buford N from Renton
- 11 15, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use the airport time capsule to also backup my iPad and iPhone)
This is why I decided to get the Airport Time Capsule. I have my entire iTunes library and iPhoto library on there - going on two years now. You can access the disk by clicking 'Option' when you open iTunes or iPhoto and choosing the Airport for your drive.
- Answered by Sumita A from Cleves
- 05 31, 18
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I store my itunes library and photo library on time capsule so i can free space form my macbook pro ?)
Do you have to use your cellular network wifi out of the house and the airport time capsule wifi in the house on an iphone5?
- Asked by Jennifer H from Onarga
- 08 22, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Do you have to use your cellular network wifi out of the house and the airport time capsule wifi in the house on an iphone5?)
You can use your cellular network while you are out and about and this will go towards your data usage ( so many MB / GB per month )
If you can connect to wifi while you are at home or out and about this does not use your cellular network and your data allowance will not be affected.
Yes, you can. I connected 2) TC's across the house, with ethernet connected to both units: one directly connected to the modem & the other to a switch, which connects to the LAN port of the 1st TC. Works great as a range extender.
- Answered by John H from Lexington
- 01 7, 17
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have a 1TB Time Capsule - if I get the 3TB one, can I use the old one as a range extender?)
Have an IMac and Sky router for wifi. Also use iPad and iPhone. Can I use Time Capsule as external hard drive and wifi router?Answer
Yes you can Roger K. My set up is my TC connected by Ethernet cable to my HH4 and is set up as a second wireless network. My Mac backs up onto my TC without issues and the wireless network is more reliable than the HH. I also have a Airport Express on the same network as my TC as a extender.
so I need to update software on Airport Time Capsule
- Asked by Jared K from Scottsdale
- 06 19, 18
- Flag as inappropriate (so I need to update software on Airport Time Capsule)
does the time capsule have to be plugged into the internet modem
- Asked by Walt F from Dardenne Prairie
- 01 18, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (does the time capsule have to be plugged into the internet modem)
Yes, you use an ethernet cord and plug one end into the #1 port of the modem, and plug the other end into the bottom ethernet port of the Time Capsule. If your modem is a modem/router you will need to have your ISP bridge the modem so you can use it as modem only using your own router (Time Capsule).
- Answered by Herbert G from Osteen
- 06 27, 18
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does the time capsule have to be plugged into the internet modem)
Can AirPort Capsule be used as an external wireless hard drive separate to Time Machine?
Can I save content directly to the Capsule, or does it only backup what is saved on my Mac device?
I want to back up my MacBook Air via Time Machine on my Time Capsule, but I would also like to put files such as photos & music onto an external hard drive (hopefully Airport Capsule) & not leave on my computer.
- Asked by Larry P from Cedar
- 11 3, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can AirPort Capsule be used as an external wireless hard drive separate to Time Machine?)
In Finder there is a new list right under Devices when connected to the AirPort. It is labelled Shared and you should see your Time Capsule's name listed there. When you click it, it will go to the hard drive and you can treat it the same way you would with a USB external hard drive. Dont forget, the more data your Time Machine backup takes, the less free space you will have to use as an external hard drive.
- Answered by Jared B from San Diego
- 11 10, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can AirPort Capsule be used as an external wireless hard drive separate to Time Machine?)
Can I use Airport Extreme as wifi for use with xFinity Xi5 wireless tv box?
Have weak signal from xFinity supplied gateway. I already have AE latest generation. Wondering if I deactivate xfinity wifi signal and use AE instead.
- Asked by Michael S from Acworth
- 09 16, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use Airport Extreme as wifi for use with xFinity Xi5 wireless tv box?)
I have an AirPort Extreme Time Capsule and a NETGEAR Gateway C7100V cable modem. My ISP is Comcast. I use the AirPort Extreme as my Wi-Fi hot spot and it covers my entire home. Obviously I connect the AirPort Extreme directly to the C7100V modem via a CAT V cable.
When I run the Xfinity Speed test on my computer with a CAT V connection I get about 230 Mbs download. However, I get the same speed when I'm connected via Wi-Fi over my AirPort Extreme. When I connect using the Wi-Fi facility on the NETGEAR C7100V Gateway, I only get about 80 Mbs download.
Bottom line: the AirPort Extreme gives me the same speed via Wi-Fi as if I were connected via cable to the modem. I highly recommend the AirPort Extreme.
- Answered by Scott J from Vancouver
- 12 14, 17
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use Airport Extreme as wifi for use with xFinity Xi5 wireless tv box?)
can i use my 2TB airport time capsule as an external hard drive?
- Asked by Maximo Jr V from Mahopac
- 01 25, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use my 2TB airport time capsule as an external hard drive?)
Do i need to connect it to a wireless router or just ethernet?
Hi can i get this and use it as a router by just conecting it to a wall ethernet conection or does it have to be conected to a wireless router such as the BT home hub?
- Asked by Mathew C
- 12 10, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Do i need to connect it to a wireless router or just ethernet?)
Yes... When it fires up, it works out if it is on the Internet or a private network. If it's on a private network it just configures itself as a wireless access point with a hard drive attached.
I have mine connected to my BT HomeHub 5 and it work perfectly. I turned off all wireless on the HomeHub and use the Time Capsule's wireless. It seems to work perfectly.
- Answered by David R from London
- 01 17, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Do i need to connect it to a wireless router or just ethernet?)
Is the AirPort Time Capsule compatible with Windows 10?
- Asked by Michael T from San Diego
- 05 24, 18
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the AirPort Time Capsule compatible with Windows 10?)
Can I back up two separate Macs using Time Machine?
i.e. will it support two instances of Time Machine so both Macs can independently backup to the Time Capsule?
- Asked by Josh H
- 06 20, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I back up two separate Macs using Time Machine?)
Yes, the Time Capsule will do this without any setup differences of any kind. Once you establish a connection by entering in the Time Capsule's drive password, then the rest is just the same as backing up the first Mac.
I have two Macs that I am backing up, and found it incredibly simple.
- Answered by Shawn F from Riverside
- 07 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I back up two separate Macs using Time Machine?)
How do I restore files from my AirPort Time Capsule to my MacBook? Can I restore selective files/software?
My hard drive crashed and I purchased a new MacBook Pro. I want to restore my documents from my latestAirPort Time Capsule backup and my quicken software and files but don't know how.
- Asked by H. W. A from Fairview Park
- 04 22, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I restore files from my AirPort Time Capsule to my MacBook? Can I restore selective files/software?)
Hi Mr. H. W. A. , you can restore your files with Migration Assistant , to pen the Migration Assistant , go to Launchpad then Open the folder Other , then look for Migration Assistant and open it.
The Migration Assistant will start with a screen asking you how do you want to transfer your information from a Mac ,a Time Machine Backup or another disk(This is the default option)
Make sure that you are in the same network of the Time Capsule , then in the next screen select the Time Machine Backup disk(if you don't know , which one to choose , choose the disk with a green hard disk ,with a symbol of a arrow and in clock inside the arrow)
After you selected the time machie disk, the Migration Assistant will ask you to select witch backup you want to transfer, after the selection of the backup ,another screen will show up , asking to confirm what you would like to transfer from the backup
( The default option is everything, just a important thing , you can't select which documents&data ,you want to recover , but you can't do thus ,with apps and the Mac settings )
After you selected which information you want to recover ,select continue , and your Mac will ask if you want to encrypt your disk, this is important step ,because if you macbook is stolen ,nobody can access your information , ( i would recommend the encryption of your disk , the Mac may be slower ,but is better for security purpose)
After you select if you want FileVault or not , your information from the time capsule will began to restore
After this ,you can start using your Mac , with all your information previous from when the hard drive crashed
Sorry for the long Answer
- Answered by Stefano D from New York
- 05 27, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How do I restore files from my AirPort Time Capsule to my MacBook? Can I restore selective files/software?)