Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB
571 Questions from the Community
Is the TC MIMO compatible?
Have new iPad Air. Have read reviews that say it would benefit from MIMO-compatible router. Don't know what that is, but is the Time Capsule one of them? :-). Thanks!
- Asked by Lawrence S from Vestal
- 11 3, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the TC MIMO compatible?)
Does this device stores movies as well?
Should I decide tp download music, movies, videos, and backup files, would this device do all of these things?
- Asked by Lapolean K from Creedmoor
- 07 28, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this device stores movies as well?)
Regarding files, this device can act as two different things - a Time-Machine-enabled Backup device, or a Shared Network Hard Drive.
As a Tme-Machine-enabled backup device, it will back up everything from your Mac(s) at regular intervals. This includes all the files on your Mac - documents, movies, music etc. You can then use it to revert to previous versions of files, to restore deleted or damaged files, or to restore the entire mac from a backup. Note, if you use it in this way, don't expect to be able to browse or read your files as simple files. Time machine backs use a sparse bundle and file links. You can get to your files manually if you want, don't expect to be able to hook up a home media centre to access those files easily. They are managed by time machine, and really should only be accessed through the Time Machine software for restoration.
As a shared network hard drive, you can consider it to be a file server. You can access the hard drive, over the network (wired or wireless) from any machine on the network (Mac or Windows). As such, you could use it to store your music and movies and access them from anywhere, including from any home media centre that can access a shared network volume (i.e. not AppleTV).
You should use it for one or the other, not both. Note, you *can* do both, but you really should not. When used for Time Machine backups, it really likes to manage hard drive space itself. When the disk gets full, it deletes older backups. It works best when it is fully aware and fully in control of the drive space
- Answered by Vihung M
- 08 19, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this device stores movies as well?)
Is the router in the Time Capsule the same router used in the Airport Extreme? Or is it not as efficient?
I need a new router. For the extra money the Time Machine seems a good buy. However is the wireless router the same identical router used in the Apple Extreme?
- Asked by Gary H from Belle River
- 01 14, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the router in the Time Capsule the same router used in the Airport Extreme? Or is it not as efficient?)
Yes. It's the exact same. The only difference is the Time Capsule has an onboard HDD build in.
- Answered by Cory F from Apo
- 01 21, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is the router in the Time Capsule the same router used in the Airport Extreme? Or is it not as efficient?)
Windows 7 laptop migration to MacBook Pro via AirPort Time Capsule
I would like to migrate my data files from a Windows 7 laptop (documents, pictures, music) to a MacBook Pro, probably using an external hard drive. Can I treat the AirPort Time Capsule as an external hard drive for both machines via the USB port?
- Asked by Wai-ming L from Detroit
- 09 27, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Windows 7 laptop migration to MacBook Pro via AirPort Time Capsule)
Is airport time capsule UPnP capable?
- Asked by George S from Vancouver
- 03 28, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Is airport time capsule UPnP capable?)
Does the Time Capsule router create a physical firewall?
- Asked by Raymond A B from Myrtle Beach
- 05 31, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Time Capsule router create a physical firewall?)
Can Time Capusle limit internet data usage and speed on connected devices?
I have a 4th-gen Time Capusle bought in 2012. I set up a guest network for visiting friends & families. But sometimes kids will watch videos on their iPad/iPhone all day long, eating up my data allowance and slowing down network speed.
Is there a way I can limit data usage and speed (say, 1GB per day at no faster than 5Mbps download) on Time Capsule's connected devices?
- Asked by Tony C from Santee
- 10 16, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can Time Capusle limit internet data usage and speed on connected devices?)
Would i be able to move my iTunes library on to this and have a wired connection between this and my iMac then also have it wirelessly to my macbook?
Would i be able to move my iTunes library on to this and have a wired connection between this and my iMac then also have a wireless connection to my macbook. In theory i would be able to import a CD to my iMac (the master for iTunes) and then have it also on my macbook in iTunes.
No answers yet
Can I add a USB drive to Time Capsule and use the combined capacity (of the Time Capsule drive and the attached drive) to backup with Time Machine
No answers yet
Yes. This device supports all the current Wifi protocols so any device that is wifi enabled will be able to connect.
- Answered by Jared B from San Diego
- 11 10, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I bought an iMac in 2009, does this computer work with the Airport Time Capsule?)
Does the time machine needs internet to work
- Asked by Ariel B from Lake Worth
- 03 28, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the time machine needs internet to work)
Am I correct to assume my 802.11n capable computers will not work any quicker on 802.11ac Airport Time capsule? Therefore wait to upgrade both...Answer
Your N devices will only talk to the AC router at N speeds, but the performance at N will likely be better than many other N routers out there due to the six-antennae design.
Can I use time capsule for iTunes and iPhoto libraries
I have a macbook and macbook pro which are both used independently. I would like to use a time capsule to store files and iTunes and iPhoto libraries. What I am looking to achieve is to be able to stream wirelessly my files between either of the computers and access iTunes and iPhoto from either machine. The majority of hard drive space would then be freed up on both machines and for no loss of service. I would think that playlists and albums would be unaffected by this change. Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks
- Asked by Alan T
- 11 27, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use time capsule for iTunes and iPhoto libraries)
Can AirPort Capsule be used as an external wireless hard drive separate to Time Machine?
Can AirPort Capsule be used as an external wireless hard drive separate to Time Machine? Meaning, can I save content directly to the Capsule, or does it only backup what is saved on my Mac device?
I am wanting to back up my computer via Time Machine, but there are things I would like to put onto a hard drive (hopefully Airport Capsule) but not leave on my computer.
Hope this makes sense
Yes your Time Uapsule will function as a backup drive with time machine as well as being able to save content directly to the same drive , However, you cannot include the stored information on the TC HD as part of your computer backup through time machine on your Mac.
hope this helps
- Answered by Simon C
- 01 31, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can AirPort Capsule be used as an external wireless hard drive separate to Time Machine?)
Does the Time Capsule spin down the hard disk while idle?
Does the Time Capsule spin down the hard disk while not performing a backup? During typical operating conditions, what is the duty cycle of the hard disk?
- Asked by Ben K from Vancouver
- 10 16, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Time Capsule spin down the hard disk while idle?)